Beware of Porters Not Telling the Truth

Lee Cruiser

Just returned from a cruise on the Mardi Gras.  Will share a review as I have time.  But just wanted to warn others about porters lying to people upon debarkation.  As I was collecting our luggage to leave I overheard a porter tell someone that they could not get their own luggage.  Here is the exact quote:  "You cannot collect your luggage by yourself.  You must go back and get a porter to carry out your luggage for you.  You cannot roll it out yourself."  I ignored her, because I knew she was telling a bold face lie.  The man seemed confused, so I told them that was not the case.  You do not have to get a porter.  It sometimes makes things easier if you have a long ways to go with your luggage.  But for them to flat out lie to people just to get tips is terrible!

Edited by Lee Cruiser

Speak a foreign language when getting your suitcase out at embarkation, get yourself that European look, make it look like a first time.. porters will just help you and won't bother about a tip.

Every single time I had to undertake some serious effort to give the porter his tip. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Repeat after me and practice with your significant other:

"Is dit wel het juiste schip?" "Is this really the right ship?"

"Weet je het zeker?" "Are you sure?"
"Pff, dat is zwaar." "Pfff, that's heavy."

:classic_biggrin:

Sei sicuro che questi sono i nostri bagagli? - Are you sure these are our bags?
Non fa differenza. - It makes no difference.
Guarantito che i robe dentro serano migliore delle nostri. - Guaranteed the stuff inside is better than ours.

🤣

• Haha 6

I've never had an issue but you do have to be watchful. In every job, doctors, teachers, government officials, anyone you think you could trust, about half are mediocre or are downright untrustworthy in terms of performing their job. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Travel with someone in a manual wheelchair - of all our cruises we've only encountered a few bad porters in both Miami and Ft Lauderdale.  Bigger issues have been with Taxi drivers. Also random people asking us to call numbers for their rides which they can't find - you scheduled a ride and don't have your own phone to contact them or they you --- Odd. 

On 6/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, hrmkr said:

If there is a long line to go through customs, it may help getting through quicker if you have a porter.  Might be worth a few bucks to some some time

Absolutely!  When the agents see a Porter with guests/luggage in tow, they are allowed to jump the line as the end of the line gets closer to the inspection point.