Can you book a cabin that holds 4 even if youre only 3 people?

It depends. If you can book it online then you are ok.  You can also always just book a TBD for the 4th person and then cancel. However, this would have you paying for the extra person (minus port fees, taxes, grats, etc.)  We have done this by booking my Mom with us because we wanted a 2 person vista suite with an adjoining room to a 3 person aft balcony and they required us to book 5 people.  My Mom won't be coming with us (because it is a sailing in Europe) but it was worth it to me to have those particular adjoining rooms so I will just pay for the extra person. 

• Like 1

We always book through my pvp.  For upcoming cruise we have 3 of us in a quad room.  In January we have a cabin for 4, but only 2 of us are booked. Never had a problem with getting bumped.

• Like 1

My PVP happily booked us in a 3 person suite (there are 2 of us) without issue.  I honestly didn't even know that it was for 3 people and just wanted that particular location.  However, "In The Past"..... if you were booked in a particular room that holds more than your current occupancy, they do have the right to move you to a comparable or higher tier.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by PittsburghGirlee
added more specifics
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, petuniaflower said:

Ive been told you cannot book a cabin that holds more than you have, is this correct?  

I was able to book a room for four and I was solo, so just depends what the system offers you when booking.

• Like 2

We booked the same cabin on the Carnival Pride a number of times, but the last two times PVP said we could book the same cabin (cat. 8A standard balcony), but it was for 4 and if they needed it, they would move us. We booked a different cabin.

we upgraded from an oceanview to a grand suite. it was 2 of us. the grand suite held 4. they never mentioned moving us but i'm guessing they wouldn't have given that we got the upgrade about 3 weeks before sailing. i just tried to do a mock booking for our exact room. and to put 2 people in it and it would allow me. 

Especially now, you can book a room for 3 or 4 even with only one person as long as it is a regular cabin and not something like an owner's suite. I usually book a balcony and I look online to see if they have one I want. If the one I want is for 3 or 4 people, I test book it for the 3 or 4 people. If it is available I go to my travel agent and tell them the cabin I want. I have never had one tell me you have to have 3 or 4 to book it but if you go to the Carnival site and try to book it online it will tell you it is unavailable for 2 people.

On the Breeze for Sailabration, I booked the two of us into a GTY balcony. We were initially assigned a 4-berth.

We were moved to a similar stateroom a couple of decks higher when they needed that 4-berth. 

PVPs and TAs can also shift people in their booking groups around to accommodate a new booking that needs an ADA or 4-berth, but if it's available to book online ... book it. They won't move you without your permission.

I have friends that prefer to book a 4-berth and have their kiddo sleep in the bunk and keep the couch a couch.

Pre-COVID I was told by Carnival directly that I could not book a pair of connecting staterooms because we wanted to split our family 3/3 and one of the cabins held 4. They would not allow us to book them unless we were booking 3/4. I'm not sure I understand the logic of that decision as I ended up taking my money to Royal since I was able to find a connecting pair with them. 

As others have mentioned, you may be able to book a 4 person berth if it's "bookable" and viewable to you when you search for 3 but may be moved if the cabin is needed. 

Good luck and enjoy! 

We booked a cabin for 4 with one of them TBD.  The TBD that was contemplating going, has decided to take her husband and they got a separate room.  The cruise is not until next May.  I'm guessing I can't "cancel" that 4th person and we will be paying her share of the cruise.  But if I understand it correctly, the Tax and Port Charge for her will be refunded when we get there as a "no show". We are actually going to be a little more comfortable with 3 of us in the room instead of 4 - so likely will not fill that TBD spot.  Do I need to tell them ahead that there will only be 3 of us?