Rotterdam Covid Situation

flowery

I'm sure the original plan of moving passengers to a quarantine area made sense from a medical/safety standpoint.

Now, if I were a cruise line and contending with a lot of people who wanted to remain onboard to quarantine, I would certainly not change my policy to allow suite passengers to remain in suites- sounds too comfortable. I would want to incentivize them to get off.

With the pervasive amt of Covid floating about cruise ships, quarantine areas seem pointless.

18 minutes ago, flowery said:

I'm sure the original plan of moving passengers to a quarantine area made sense from a medical/safety standpoint.

Now, if I were a cruise line and contending with a lot of people who wanted to remain onboard to quarantine, I would certainly not change my policy to allow suite passengers to remain in suites- sounds too comfortable. I would want to incentivize them to get off.

With the pervasive amt of Covid floating about cruise ships, quarantine areas seem pointless.

Doubt anyone really wants to stay on a ship with quarantine for themselves.  I do think the idea has been to keep them separate from healthy passengers.  That would be the medical position.  You can overthink things or go with the flow.  Either stay home or go and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:58 PM, flowery said:

Beav and Laffnvegas- thanks for your comments. I agree it's good to be flexible and open.

My thinking on the situation evolves and shifts on an almost daily basis.

Just 6 weeks ago we were still being careful with mask wearing. Now we are taking no precautions even in large crowds. I'm thinking we might be immune, having had Covid less than 5 mos ago.

As long as ports and countries don't deny the Rotterdam entry or require group excursions I think we'll be OK.

I do all my own travel planning- hotels, air etc for maximum flexibility. We are paying a lot for Platinum insurance so we have the luxury of not embarking at the very last minute if we shift again.

Still looking forward to hearing from cruisers currently on the Rotterdam or disembarking next week.

I'm on the Rotterdam right now, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to mask wearing. People are wearing them, people are not. I have yet to see it actually enforced upon someone not wearing a mask. I just stopped caring altogether, we have only been on 1 ship sponsored excursion to Berlin, for fear of postponents on the train back from Berlin, I would say it was 50% wearing a mask on the bus for 3 hours, then 10% wearing 1 on the way back. If there are covid concerns on the ship, I am unaware of them. We will be on for another 20 days through Norway, if we get stuck so be it. We have been through tons of museums, restaurants, public indoor spaces and have not seen any mask wearing in Berlin and Stockholm. I could be ground Zero for the virus, I have no idea, I could be a walking, talking, sneezing, asymptomatic time bomb, or maybe my wife is, and no one is the wiser. Again, I'm through caring. If you are going to be traveling and this is something you are worried about, I will tell you, you won't be able to avoid it, it will find you, no matter the precautions. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RynoWally said:

I'm on the Rotterdam right now, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to mask wearing. People are wearing them, people are not. I have yet to see it actually enforced upon someone not wearing a mask. I just stopped caring altogether, we have only been on 1 ship sponsored excursion to Berlin, for fear of postponents on the train back from Berlin, I would say it was 50% wearing a mask on the bus for 3 hours, then 10% wearing 1 on the way back. If there are covid concerns on the ship, I am unaware of them. We will be on for another 20 days through Norway, if we get stuck so be it. We have been through tons of museums, restaurants, public indoor spaces and have not seen any mask wearing in Berlin and Stockholm. I could be ground Zero for the virus, I have no idea, I could be a walking, talking, sneezing, asymptomatic time bomb, or maybe my wife is, and no one is the wiser. Again, I'm through caring. If you are going to be traveling and this is something you are worried about, I will tell you, you won't be able to avoid it, it will find you, no matter the precautions. 

Agree.  No matter the precautions taken, you will eventually be exposed to some COVID strain.  Just be fully vaccinated and take what precautions you personally feel is necessary to minimize health impact if you get COVID.  Otherwise, just live your life.  Like the flu; various COVID strains, like flu strains, will be with us for a LONG time.

• Like 2

RynoWally- it's great to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to post about current conditions on the Rotterdam and about prevalence of mask wearing on the ship, land and during excursions. Excellent you will have so much time in Norway! Hope we hear from you again.

Kamfish- I agree with you too. We love cruising and will hope for the best. If we hadn't already been infected with Omicron we might be more cautious.

I don't think anyone contemplating cruising right now is excessively worried- it makes sense to want to know numbers, conditions and trends to make a decision. People who have already decided it's too risky have probably cancelled before final payment.

• Like 1

I am currently on the Rotterdam as well, and as of yesterday the captain mentions during his daily announcement that it is recommended to wear a mask onboard (and even outside when it’s not possible to maintain social distancing), except when eating, drinking or sitting down. Yesterday it was the first time he announced it, never heard the captain talk about anything of this during the earlier days of the cruise.

but no one mentions anything about increasing COVID cases onboard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobertL88 said:

I am currently on the Rotterdam as well, and as of yesterday the captain mentions during his daily announcement that it is recommended to wear a mask onboard (and even outside when it’s not possible to maintain social distancing), except when eating, drinking or sitting down. Yesterday it was the first time he announced it, never heard the captain talk about anything of this during the earlier days of the cruise.

but no one mentions anything about increasing COVID cases onboard.

Different ships, different ways of handling things.  When I was on the koningsdam in March the captain said that every day, and we were in green the whole time and for a couple weeks after.

I think the CDC/cruise lines missed a golden opportunity early last year to get some volunteers on a ship for 7 days with daily testing and observe how the virus transmits itself among a mixed group of vaccinated, partially vaccinated, and unvaccinated passengers.  They'd get a good picture of asymptomatic vs symptomatic passengers.  As many like the paint cruise ships as "floating petri dishes", we may as well as embrace it and learn from it.  It seems like a perfect living laboratory to study.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 3

I live near Seattle and our daily case count in the state has doubled in the last month. Hospitalizations look to be up about 50%. Deaths are down to 1 or 2 per day. My wife and I are around 80 with health conditions. We still go out to dine and shop and visit friends/family. We wear masks except when actually dining/drinking, inside or outside. And probably will continue to so for the foreseeable future. Not only to protect ourselves but to protect those around us. We may be in endemic but Covid is still out there and affecting people.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I both tested positive for Covid after disembarking from the NS on 4/17/22.  Both of us were vaxed and boosted.  Our symptoms were minor and more like a bad cold.  Could we have contracted the virus on shore from unvaccinated residents of the islands visited?  More than likely.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, RynoWally said:

Just to add to this post. They have also informed me that there is no need to test again for the second leg of our back to back, and unlike Alaska, as of now they will be testing us on the ship the day before we disembark for U.S.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 7:10 AM, RynoWally said:

Just to add to this post. They have also informed me that there is no need to test again for the second leg of our back to back, and unlike Alaska, as of now they will be testing us on the ship the day before we disembark for U.S.

They changed protocol, wife and I were tested early this morning, we received a letter very early this morning 2am stating that there have been a lot of positive tests and a lot of asymptomatic people on board? Not sure where they are getting this info, maybe a spouse tests positive and the other is also positive with no symptoms, but they have changed course and now masks are required at all times unless eating or drinking. Going with the flow, Norway is going to be excellent. Looks like mid 50s and rain wherever we go, we are ready for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RynoWally said:

They changed protocol, wife and I were tested early this morning, we received a letter very early this morning 2am stating that there have been a lot of positive tests and a lot of asymptomatic people on board? Not sure where they are getting this info, maybe a spouse tests positive and the other is also positive with no symptoms, but they have changed course and now masks are required at all times unless eating or drinking. Going with the flow, Norway is going to be excellent. Looks like mid 50s and rain wherever we go, we are ready for it.

Thanks for the update. I appreceiate your updated info of hwat is happening on board. Enjoy your next leg with Norway.

• Like 1

RobtL and RynoWally- thanks so much for taking the time to update all of us.

It will be interesting to hear if there's mask wearing compliance and enforcement.

Also, would like to hear from anyone in quarantine on the ship or in Amsterdam.

Personally, I think it would be a nightmare to be in a foreign country and contract covid.  Not to mention the gazillions of dollars you've probably spent for cruise and tours and air.  Having to navigate the hassle of getting back is more difficulty than I would like to experience.  It appears there is quite a bit of covid out there still.  OP is looking for more stories of quarantine on the ship or in Amsterdam.  Not sure what the purpose is other than rubbernecking the disasters people are experiencing. 

• Like 4

Holland America is going to protect themselves as best as they can. This is a special voyage for the naming ceremony on May 30th with Royalty and  is going to be high profile.  Any covid outbreak news will not be welcome. Most of these people flying in for this have been on long haul flights with no masking and can test - going on and come down with Covid. I think the masking is just smart. AGree with Albingirl above...travel a bit too much risk and work especially out of the country.

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, albingirl said:

OP is looking for more stories of quarantine on the ship or in Amsterdam.  Not sure what the purpose is other than rubbernecking the disasters people are experiencing. 

@albingirlOr Journalist, competitor or dutch secret service 😉?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What bizarre accusations! 

That's right, HAL's competitor and the Dutch Secret Service just booked me new 10K plane tickets so I could continue with my surveillance! I'm certainly glad I didn't pay for them!

I still have time to make some decisions. Are you envious that we can pivot and do land based Europe if needed? I will continue with my research and I'm sure there are others like me who want to know what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, flowery said:

What bizarre accusations! 

That's right, HAL's competitor and the Dutch Secret Service just booked me new 10K plane tickets so I could continue with my surveillance! I'm certainly glad I didn't pay for them!

I still have time to make some decisions. Are you envious that we can pivot and do land based Europe if needed? I will continue with my research and I'm sure there are others like me who want to know what's going on.

Nothing bizarre about it and no one is envious of you and your planning.  We know people want to know "what's going on" but you've taken it to a new level.  Have fun with your research.  Scientific, I am sure.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have watched a couple of You Tube Cruise Bloggers who are currently aboard Rotterdam. They are complaining about the masking but accepting it. My wife and I continue to mask up when we go out for meals, shopping or exercise and will do so willingly for the foreseeable future (even cruising). Not only to protect us but others around us. Covid is not going away.

My sister-in-law was quarantined for two weeks (this month) in her senior housing complex with a positive test even though she had no symptoms. Another friend in a rehab center just tested positive after nine consecutive days of negative tests (now has mild cold like symptoms). Both were vaccinated and double boosted. These policies will be with us for a lot longer than the complainers think. Keep your masks handy and wear them, it works.

Jim

• Like 6