Cancel due to medical reasons no trip insurance

Hi, we have a family cruise scheduled for the end of the month May 28, my brother just had a stroke yesterday discharged from the hospital today. They did not purchase trip insurance; I see on the FAQs page it states they would keep 75% of the cruise care.

They might not be able to go, there is four of them two rooms with there kids. Has anyone had a similar circumstance and were you able to get full credit for a future cruise or anything with a drs. note?

Thank you,

Jessica

Or they could try calling, and asking very nicely if it is possible just to reschedule the cruise for a later date. It would help to have another date picked out in this case. Never hurts to ask politely and see what they can do for you. 

• Like 3

Not many success stories when it comes to refunds or credits due to medical without insurance. You can call and ask but this is why travel and Carnival insurance is offered. In their eyes there would be no sense in offering insurance to make money if they are going to allow those who chose NOT to purchase it credits or refunds . They would have to do that with everyone that had a reason or excuse to cancel a cruise and wanted their money back or credits or whatever. Best to call as previously stated. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Cruise lines were bleeding at a horrendous rate for two years, we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars a month.  The point of bringing this up is to show the dire situation of cruise company finances.  You did not mention how ypu booked.  Experts can help during trying times.  My recommendation would be to call Carnival (if you booked yourself) and explain.  They MAY allow you to move to another date with only losing $50/person.  Take everyones comments on future bookings and insurance as sage advice, these blogs are filled with stories like yours.  Hope your family member recovers fully, and you celebrate on a Carnival ship.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cruise lines were bleeding at a horrendous rate for two years, we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars a month.  The point of bringing this up is to show the dire situation of cruise company finances.  You did not mention how ypu booked.  Experts can help during trying times.  My recommendation would be to call Carnival (if you booked yourself) and explain.  They MAY allow you to move to another date with only losing $50/person.  Take everyones comments on future bookings and insurance as sage advice, these blogs are filled with stories like yours.  Hope your family member recovers fully, and you celebrate on a Carnival ship.

Thank you, I figured it is a slim chance just curious if anyone else has had similar circumstances. Our family purchased the insur, this was their first cruise, and they are not avid travelers. Praying he can recover quickly and may be able to travel, they are under so much stress I was just trying to do a little research for them. I will call today and see what I can find out direct with carnival too. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jessica82973 said:

Thank you, I figured it is a slim chance just curious if anyone else has had similar circumstances. Our family purchased the insur, this was their first cruise, and they are not avid travelers. Praying he can recover quickly and may be able to travel, they are under so much stress I was just trying to do a little research for them. I will call today and see what I can find out direct with carnival too. 

Good luck, if things go [poorly, you can always ask for a supervisor.  One last word of advice, moving to a future date vs cancel are easier for them to accept.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jessica82973 said:

Hi, we have a family cruise scheduled for the end of the month May 28, my brother just had a stroke yesterday discharged from the hospital today. They did not purchase trip insurance; I see on the FAQs page it states they would keep 75% of the cruise care.

They might not be able to go, there is four of them two rooms with there kids. Has anyone had a similar circumstance and were you able to get full credit for a future cruise or anything with a drs. note?

Thank you,

Jessica

And what if he had the stroke on the cruise instead? Should he have said to Carnival, "please take care of my medical bills and medical evacuation from a foreign country even though I could have paid for trip insurance?"

• Like 1

Just to give a quick update, thank you for those of you that were kind and helpful comments. First off, I agree with travel insurance and do purchase it for my family, I was in no way thinking that Carnival had any obligation to let them move the credit. My question was specifically for anyone that has encountered something similar and if they had any luck.

My brother is still numb on his left side having a little bit of a time walking, but his speech is good. He really wants to go and did not want to disappoint his family so he is planning on going, he will just bring his walker and go at his own pace.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, jessica82973 said:

Just to give a quick update, thank you for those of you that were kind and helpful comments. First off, I agree with travel insurance and do purchase it for my family, I was in no way thinking that Carnival had any obligation to let them move the credit. My question was specifically for anyone that has encountered something similar and if they had any luck.

My brother is still numb on his left side having a little bit of a time walking, but his speech is good. He really wants to go and did not want to disappoint his family so he is planning on going, he will just bring his walker and go at his own pace.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and for a great family cruise!!  

One thought:  does your brother have health insurance through work?  If so, check out GeoBlue trip insurance.  It won't help with cancellation, but if he is currently insured, it could be well worth the cost.

We bought it for the first time for last week's cruise, since DD has been diagnosed with a genetic clotting disorder.  Premium goes up with age--she is 35 and her cost was $31 for zero deductible and I believe 5 million max coverage. DH and I are 62, and I believe ours was under $200 total for both of us for the same coverage for ten days.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and for a great family cruise!!  

One thought:  does your brother have health insurance through work?  If so, check out GeoBlue trip insurance.  It won't help with cancellation, but if he is currently insured, it could be well worth the cost.

We bought it for the first time for last week's cruise, since DD has been diagnosed with a genetic clotting disorder.  Premium goes up with age--she is 35 and her cost was $31 for zero deductible and I believe 5 million max coverage. DH and I are 62, and I believe ours was under $200 total for both of us for the same coverage for ten days.  

Thank you, I'll tell them about that he is double covered through his work and his wife also.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jessica82973 said:

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad he's doing so well.

Is it your brother's first cruise?  If so, he may be underestimating the amount of strength it takes simply to get around on the ship.  He may want to consider (1) using wheelchair assistance for boarding and/or (2) renting a wheelchair for the trip, just in case he should feel as though he needs it.  The only have a couple of wheelchairs on board for emergency use.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

Your brother might want to consider buying travel insurance before the cruise. If he has another stroke onboard he could be looking at significant uncovered medical and evacuation expenses

there are a few reputable insurers that cover stroke and cardiac events even if preexisting. 

Richard

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad he's doing so well.

Is it your brother's first cruise?  If so, he may be underestimating the amount of strength it takes simply to get around on the ship.  He may want to consider (1) using wheelchair assistance for boarding and/or (2) renting a wheelchair for the trip, just in case he should feel as though he needs it.  The only have a couple of wheelchairs on board for emergency use.

Yes it is, I know so true I talked to him about renting a lark or something he doesn't want to but as we get close the week before he might change his mind I hope.

• Like 1