Fremantle-Melbourne: Port or Starboard?

Planning a summer 2024 cruise from Freo to Melbourne or Sydney, balcony cabin. Which side does the jury think best? Or perhaps since one can always go up on deck in the sun or shade as weather dictates it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Which ship? Some ships have covered balconies on some or most decks so on a cruise like that it won't matter that much. 

I presume it's a cruise that travels across the bottom of Australia so for most of the cruise the sun will be overhead during the day, and setting behind the ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, losfp said:

Is it going south or north? I think I'd want something that looks at land. The sea is fine but gets a bit samey after a while 😄 

Presumably it's going West - East seeing that they're travelling from Fremantle to Melbourne sso using your theory Port side would be best (Land side - but you will probably be too far out to see much land!)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Planning a summer 2024 cruise from Freo to Melbourne or Sydney, balcony cabin. Which side does the jury think best? Or perhaps since one can always go up on deck in the sun or shade as weather dictates it doesn't really matter.

You would have more sun on a balcony on the Port side compared with Starboard for most of the trip because the sun doesn't ever get directly overhead that far south. If you are on a cruise that ends in Sydney, I would book the Port side because you would have a great view of the city as you come in. It is likely to be very early in the morning.

You would hardly ever see land, except for when the ship leaves or arrives in a  port.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, losfp said:

Is it going south or north? I think I'd want something that looks at land. The sea is fine but gets a bit samey after a while 😄 

I figure there may be a stop in Esperance, Busselton or Albany before leaving WA. Once departed from there, land will be over 100km from view till you reach Adelaide. Most of the approach to Adelaide and Melbourne is usually done in the dark, so I don't have a preference for either side. To split hairs, you might get a mobile signal 5 minutes sooner from a portside cabin than from a starboard one

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, south - torn between six nights on Queen Elizabeth to Melbourne (home) or (at twice the price), ten nights on Queen Mary 2 to Sydney. On the basis that one never knows what's ahead (especially after the last 2+ years), I'll probably go for QM2 - want to have a plan for when bookings open. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You would hardly ever see land, except for when the ship leaves or arrives in a  port.

Good point. I have never sailed that part of the world so I wasn't sure if they would get close enough to land to see anything. From memory on our last NZ cruise in 2018 we could see land often enough that I felt it was well worth getting our port-side cabin.

Next one in January will be forward facing, so that won't be an issue.. I think 😄 

If there's a lot of land approaching our cabin in a hurry, we've got problems.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

You would have more sun on a balcony on the Port side compared with Starboard for most of the trip because the sun doesn't ever get directly overhead that far south. If you are on a cruise that ends in Sydney, I would book the Port side because you would have a great view of the city as you come in. It is likely to be very early in the morning.

The sun gets close to overhead in Melbourne.

• Like 1

Just now, possum52 said:

The sun gets close to overhead in Melbourne.

For anywhere south of the Tropic of Capricorn (Rockhampton) the sun isn't ever overhead, even in mid summer. Even in Brisbane, it is noticeable that the sun isn't overhead in mid summer. Detail regarding Melbourne - it is 38 degrees south and the Earth is inclined at 23.5 degrees. The sun would be 14.5 degrees from overhead in mid summer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

For anywhere south of the Tropic of Capricorn (Rockhampton) the sun isn't ever overhead, even in mid summer. Even in Brisbane, it is noticeable that the sun isn't overhead in mid summer. Detail regarding Melbourne - it is 38 degrees south and the Earth is inclined at 23.5 degrees. The sun would be 14.5 degrees from overhead in mid summer. 

But if you have a covered balcony that's good enough to stop the sun shining in your cabin windows if you happen to be on the sunny side of the ship, but may give some sun on the balcony itself.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

I did Freo to Melb on Queen Elizabeth, port balcony. December 2019.

No issues with the sun. Saw a lot of sea, but also some land.

Went from Mel to HK on QM2 in a port side sheltered balcony. Again, got some land views in various places. I did not enjoy the sheltered balcony as much as it felt too enclosed and limited viewing opportunities.. although going into HK, I was able to look down and watch the pilot boarding from a fast launch as the captain was not slowing down.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, MelbTone said:

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, south - torn between six nights on Queen Elizabeth to Melbourne (home) or (at twice the price), ten nights on Queen Mary 2 to Sydney. On the basis that one never knows what's ahead (especially after the last 2+ years), I'll probably go for QM2 - want to have a plan for when bookings open. 

Having sailed on both those ships, I baulk at paying so much more for the QM2 over the QE although it may depend what cabin grade you're in. I know that once you're in the Grills cabins, those category cabins are quite a lot larger on the QM2 than the QE, so may be worth the extra cost to you. I don't know what the relative sizes are for the BB cabins.

Personally, I would take the QE to Melbourne - wouldn't have to fly home from Sydney and you'd have enough money left over to take another local cruise (maybe even extend the trip on QE to include Tasmania if it follows on from your intended route).

I always tend to book port side cabins as I like to see the port I'm in when we're docked and also to see the land if it's going to be on that side of the ship which it will be given your route. You'll also get afternoon sun on the port side on that route versus starboard which would get morning sun. I think all or most of the balconies are covered on both QM2 and QE so you may get some shade around midday (althought the sun would be to the north and you may get shade from the ship itself and the walls between balconies).

Lucky you to have this choice to make! It's a trip I'd love to take, in fact I wish I were able to take one of their circumnavigations of Australia later this year. I hope you let us know what you decide.

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The port side of the ship isn't always the side closest to the dock. It is probably 50-50 whether it is the port or starboard side.

Thanks Aus Traveller. I'm sure it does vary but in my (admittedly limited) experience, they usually do dock on the port side. I assume that's how it got its name! (yep, just checked and that's the case).

32 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks Aus Traveller. I'm sure it does vary but in my (admittedly limited) experience, they usually do dock on the port side. I assume that's how it got its name! (yep, just checked and that's the case).

It's true that the term 'port' for the left-hand side of the ship came about because the steering 'oar' was on the right-hand side, hence 'starboard' (or 'steerboard') and they obviously had to dock with the other side against the wharf. Obviously this doesn't apply now.

A couple of instances where ships usually docked with the starboard against the wharf are the Sydney OPT, Brisbane Portside, Port Vila, Papeete, Auckland. I can think of more ports where they usually dock with the starboard side against the wharf, rather than the port side.

Edited by Aus Traveller

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It's true that the term 'port' for the left-hand side of the ship came about because the steering 'oar' was on the right-hand side, hence 'starboard' (or 'steerboard') and they obviously had to dock with the other side against the wharf. Obviously this doesn't apply now.

A couple of instances where ships usually docked with the starboard against the wharf are the Sydney OPT, Brisbane Portside, Port Vila, Papeete, Auckland. I can think of more ports where they usually dock with the starboard side against the wharf, rather than the port side.

Yes, I read the same explanation for the naming - interesting, isn't it.

As I said, I'm sure it's not always done that way but it would make sense for there to be a convention as to which side of the ship was against the quay.

I've arrived at Sydney's OPT only once in my adult life and would swear we tied up port-side to the quay. Just checked the deck plan and would just about put money on it. That was QM2. Maybe it varies by ship?

9 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

As I said, I'm sure it's not always done that way but it would make sense for there to be a convention as to which side of the ship was against the quay.

I've arrived at Sydney's OPT only once in my adult life and would swear we tied up port-side to the quay. Just checked the deck plan and would just about put money on it. That was QM2. Maybe it varies by ship?

You do not know for certain which way they will dock at particular ports. Some maintenance like painting the exterior of the ship takes place in port, so if they want to work on a particular side of the ship they will sometimes dock the reverse way to usual.

15 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Possibly a ship reversed into its parking spot at the OPT, but they usually go in bow first.

I have to say, having cruised a lot, I have never considered that the port side of the ship would, or should, be against the wharf. There are many factors to consider when coming into dock, but usually they go bow in.

• Like 1

At Station Pier, Melbourne, the ships usually back in, so portside is on the dock side but not very attractive. The starboard side has a great view across to the city and Williamstown. Sailing out if you want to see the coast, you are best to be on portside or go up on deck. The ship arrives so early into Port Phillip Bay, it doesn't really matter what side you are on.

Boats lined up at St Kilda pier at sunset

Photo is from Connected to Port Phillip website.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Possibly a ship reversed into its parking spot at the OPT, but they usually go in bow first.

I have to say, having cruised a lot, I have never considered that the port side of the ship would, or should, be against the wharf. There are many factors to consider when coming into dock, but usually they go bow in.

As with OPT, in can depend on the ship. QM2 has docked bow in, but is usually stern in. Most ships are indeed bow in. 

Portside usually had Pacific Dawn bow in, but Sun/Sea/Dawn Princess/Pacific Explorer seemed to be 50/50. I don't know if it was anything to do with matching the turn to the higher tide or at ships' request. It would be ironic if Portside was always starboard side though. 

Just now, arxcards said:

As with OPT, in can depend on the ship. QM2 has docked bow in, but is usually stern in. Most ships are indeed bow in. 

Portside usually had Pacific Dawn bow in, but Sun/Sea/Dawn Princess/Pacific Explorer seemed to be 50/50. I don't know if it was anything to do with matching the turn to the higher tide or at ships' request. It would be ironic if Portside was always starboard side though. 

I have only sailed from the OPT on ships that dock bow in, but I think I can recall that one of the Cunard ships docked stern in. We have cruised from Portside literally a couple of dozen times on the  Princess ships you  mention plus the P&O ships. As I recall, only once was the ship facing down-stream (port side to the wharf). After the ship left the wharf, it was always interesting to watch it turn in the river. I don't know why they didn't do that when they arrived.