Marina South America - Penthouse questions

RetiredandTravel

2 hours ago, ORV said:

My personal experience is that I wouldn't put the Concierge cabin in the mix. If I wasn't going for the PH I would drop down to a B3 extended balcony, (or are they B2 now?) Other than the laundry and the earlier booking for specialties(which is not a dealbreaker) I can't see the benefit of the Concierge level. Same exact cabin as B4-B1. The lounge is no real benefit.  To the best of my knowledge on the Marina & Riviera there are no special(different) cabins. There are special cabins in the PH level and also in the B3. The special PH rooms I think are on deck 7 at the rear port & starboard. 

If you're ok doing your own laundry in the free laundry rooms, then I can't see a need for the Concierge room. Is there some reason you are considering it? 

I agree that a Concierge suite is not worth the extra but the stern penthouses on deck 7 are well worth the extra.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pookins said:

The Penthouses on 7 are my favorite, the ones in the stern. Extra large decks as well. We are hooked on them. In fact, have one booked for July 2023.

You also will have a butler who can get you extra reservations in the specialty restaurants and can even serve them course by course in your stateroom, which has a lovely table.

What is your secret to booking one of the aft-wraps on deck 7? Am waitlisted for one on an April, 2023 cruise which I tried to book last December. Have a PH2 on deck 10 booked which I am sure will be OK but.......not quite the same. Depending on the weather I guess. 

11 hours ago, mexicobob said:

What is your secret to booking one of the aft-wraps on deck 7?

You have to book on day 1  when the schedules come out   same with certain other  cabins that are in popular demand

M Bob,

Like LHT said, when there are only 2 staterooms, it is even tougher than getting an Owners Suite which are often grabbed up by large Agencies for their cruisers.  Forget trying to book yourself, you need a well connected TA.  There are only 4 PH’s with the oversized Verandas on the R ships as I recall so they go fast also.  When the new Solo rooms went on sale when Vista itineraries were released, they were definitely HOT properties! . Back to location, location, location. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

On 7/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, ORV said:

To the best of my knowledge on the Marina & Riviera there are no special(different) cabins. There are special cabins in the PH level and also in the B3. The special PH rooms I think are on deck 7 at the rear port & starboard. 

If you're ok doing your own laundry in the free laundry rooms, then I can't see a need for the Concierge room. Is there some reason you are considering it? 

22 hours ago, Pookins said:

The Penthouses on 7 are my favorite, the ones in the stern. Extra large decks as well. We are hooked on them. In fact, have one booked for July 2023.

You also will have a butler who can get you extra reservations in the specialty restaurants and can even serve them course by course in your stateroom, which has a lovely table.

Thank you both for the hint about the PH rooms on deck 7.  Just booked 7128 for our cruise!!  I found a picture of the balcony and it looks awesome!!!  Can't wait to try Oceania.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:12 AM, Plainfred said:

One reason I book concierge is access to spa terrace with small quieter outdoor space with full forward views and big jacuzzi type pool.  Some may not be interested, but it is one difference with concierge. 

Are you referring to that large almost rectangular Therapy Pool (if that's the name?) on the Spa Terrace?

We love that!

However, that's on the Riviera, and this thread has "Marina" in the header.

To avoid confusion, or disappointment, as far as I know, the Marina still has two smaller hot tubs instead of the larger "Therapy Pool" that is on the Riviera.

I'm sure we'd be happy with the hot tubs if the Marina had an itinerary we preferred, but that larger Therapy Pool is a favorite of ours.

GC

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 6:11 AM, pinotlover said:

In this case, I don’t view it as a service issue in the GDR, but rather a philosophical issue. Pre Covid we were in Denver having dinner with a business group , I believe the Chop House. Appetizers, salad, and main course all delivered, served and pushed out the door in 40 minutes from sit down. Some found the service amazing. We found it rude, aggressive, and overbearing. Stop to talk, and they wanted to take your plate away. The main course was brought within minutes of the salad. They dumped the wine bottles empty with 6-7 Oz pours so not to come around again, and brought our check with the salad. Flip that Table. A lot of Americans thrive on fast food. Eat and get it over with. They were happy.

We, on the other hand, enjoy a slow paced relaxing meal. One where we can enjoy the company and the wine in vacation mode. At home, we regularly host and attend wine dinners, with multiple courses, that go for 3-4 hours at least.

Therefore, those loving the Chop House, would never enjoy our wine dinners , and vice versus. I’ve often witnessed, particularly Americans, getting irate in Southern Europe over even 1.5 hour meals. There isn’t a right or wrong here. Each to his own. For those wanting to eat quickly and leave, Oceania provides the Terrace Buffet and Waves. For those of us not in a hurry, and on vacation mode, we have the GDR. The GDR can’t be all things to all people. As long as the wine steward is visiting my table regularly, we’ve been very satisfied with the service there. I understand why others feel differently.

There was a song from the 60s, can’t remember from whom, “ slow down, you’re going to fast. Stop the world, I’m getting dizzy!” Cruising vacation mode for us. 🥂🥂

Love this!  This is why we cruise! 🙂

I'm not sure where the original question was. Although Paul Simon wrote the song I believe the bigger hit was by Harpers Bizarre in 67. Much like Red Rubber Ball with Cyrkle.

So who is Dale and where was the question?

Yes and No, we had the lighted vanity in two PH rooms on Riviera last Fall but the PH on Marina in May did not. It seems not all the rooms have that upgrade. My thought is they all won’t until the next retrofit. 
We are back on Marina in January and I know my DW has her fingers crossed our room does. have the lighted vanity. 
Mauibabes