Saint Greg's Splendor - Seattle to Alaska - Live - May 24-31

Saint Greg

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

if you aren’t going to Canada you’re definitely good with the Walgreens ID now which I believe is the rapid naat. I’ve been using it for a few cruises.

Now with Canada  I’m thinking of playing it safe with the full pcr and just do my home one if I don’t have results by the time I get to my hotel in Seattle. Now I’m wondering because I’ve seen people say the Canada thing says 72 hours before boarding so are they going to deny me if it take a test at 9am on saturday and try to board at noon on Tuesday?

FWIW prior to our May 2 Splendor Alaska cruise we did the iHealth proctored rapid tests using our free tests from usps and then purchased the proctored sessions for $25 each online.  We did them at 0545 and 0615 on a Saturday for a Monday sailing and our results were accepted by Verifly and ArriveCAN.  

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, Saint Greg said:

I remember hearing this riding in the truck with my dad as a little kid back in the 70's... Have an awesome cruise. I'll be on board another ship in the Caribbean while you're up there, but I'll check in...

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I got this email from Amazon today saying I could get two free audio books. Seemed like good timing with the trip coming up.

38460D8E-8977-420A-A210-A892A21E997C.thumb.jpeg.ca814a6883a77085d03e40dd48eb326d.jpeg

I found a couple books I’ve wanted to read but haven’t and downloaded them. I have almost 20 hours of audio books for the trip now. I just need to cancel that audible within a month.

0A5EFBFC-408F-4F7F-A5A4-F1B49D396953.thumb.jpeg.7ab6dfe999d2792795b034cefcbc9458.jpeg

I've read the entire Cruise Confidential series, and it's a good read if you haven't. A guy who gets a job on a cruise ship trying to chase a girl, but he gets a lot more than he bargained for. Me and the author used to be friends on ****book, but he quit social media a few years ago...

• Like 7

When I saw this thread was already to 7 pages I thought I missed it.  Glad to see I can still follow along live!

Looks like you'll  do NYC next, I just had to cancel our Magic 8 day out of NYC yesterday (which was the reschedule for a COVID cancellation two years ago).  I'm also looking forward to that trip report since I was able to reschedule a year out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detroitavant said:

When I saw this thread was already to 7 pages I thought I missed it.  Glad to see I can still follow along live!

Looks like you'll  do NYC next, I just had to cancel our Magic 8 day out of NYC yesterday (which was the reschedule for a COVID cancellation two years ago).  I'm also looking forward to that trip report since I was able to reschedule a year out.

At 7? No, you didn’t miss it. At 70….maybe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

St Greg, what type of Covid test are you getting at Walgreen's?  I'm scheduled at Walgreen's for a Rapid NAAT, which I usually have gotten a Rapid antigen at CVS but CVS isn't doing tests currently.  Thanks for your feedback!

We were just on the Splendor and did the rapid NAAT with Walgreens so it will for sure work.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Now with Canada  I’m thinking of playing it safe with the full pcr and just do my home one if I don’t have results by the time I get to my hotel in Seattle. Now I’m wondering because I’ve seen people say the Canada thing says 72 hours before boarding so are they going to deny me if it take a test at 9am on saturday and try to board at noon on Tuesday?

The rapid NAAT at Walgreen's works. I not so sure they care the time of day. We tested on Saturday morning and boarded on Monday. I put everything into the Verifly app and it was accepted within an hour. I showed the app when we checked in and was sent through. I did have hard copies just in case we had any issues. 

• Like 1

We just boarded Spirit in Seattle today and they only wanted to see printed docs for Arrivecan and our covid results.  We had to show the printed Arrivecan paper 3 times. We had an 11:00 appt and we never sat in the waiting area.  On board having a drink by 11:30.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

The rapid NAAT at Walgreen's works. I not so sure they care the time of day. We tested on Saturday morning and boarded on Monday. I put everything into the Verifly app and it was accepted within an hour. I showed the app when we checked in and was sent through. I did have hard copies just in case we had any issues. 

Wait. You were 2 days out. We know the rapid naat is good 2 days out. The question is 3 days out for Canada. 

This is what we’re concerned about.I’m going to be in Seattle two days out so my preference would be a Saturday test in Dallas which is three days out. I’ve seen a random person on social media say the 72 hour thing means they won’t take a morning test if you board in the afternoon. I don’t know whether it’s true or not but until I see someone say they took the rapid naat on Saturday morning and boarded Tuesday afternoon, it seems risky.

D79DA1B7-84E9-4CE2-90F8-B12746F85115.thumb.jpeg.57ea32e562e14143323a4fbb6d91ce51.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg

6 hours ago, 3some said:

We just boarded Spirit in Seattle today and they only wanted to see printed docs for Arrivecan and our covid results.  We had to show the printed Arrivecan paper 3 times. We had an 11:00 appt and we never sat in the waiting area.  On board having a drink by 11:30.

There are printed docs for ArriveCAN? You can’t show them the app? Does ArriveCAN email you something? I have yet to see an app with a print function. The whole point of an app is you can do it On your phone.

Edited by Saint Greg

Just checking in on my flight to Seattle. Time is still the same. Someone booked next to my 4F seat. 1D and 1F are open now so I moved up to the front row window. My last chance at not having someone next to me.

3E679A4F-19ED-4161-936E-D0F369C6120A.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Just checking in on my flight to Seattle. Time is still the same. Someone booked next to my 4F seat. 1D and 1F are open now so I moved up to the front row window. My last chance at not having someone next to me.

3E679A4F-19ED-4161-936E-D0F369C6120A.jpeg

This is why I love it when I catch the E-175 like on my flight to Seattle for my cruise in June239629151_Screenshot2022-05-195_37_42AM.png.c0fa1a3add25ac12c7e9d7ea7bc03160.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Wait. You were 2 days out. We know the rapid naat is good 2 days out. The question is 3 days out for Canada. 

This is what we’re concerned about.I’m going to be in Seattle two days out so my preference would be a Saturday test in Dallas which is three days out. I’ve seen a random person on social media say the 72 hour thing means they won’t take a morning test if you board in the afternoon. I don’t know whether it’s true or not but until I see someone say they took the rapid naat on Saturday morning and boarded Tuesday afternoon, it seems risky.

D79DA1B7-84E9-4CE2-90F8-B12746F85115.thumb.jpeg.57ea32e562e14143323a4fbb6d91ce51.jpeg

I do the document check here in Vancouver for Holland/Princess (no Carnival sailing from here) and we have a date frame rather than an hour frame. We need to verify that the passenger has the test 2 or 3 days prior to today's date - no hours involved. Not sure how it's done in Seattle/for Carnival specifically, but just remember that those folks checking this stuff are not ship staff - in fact they are usually minimum wage retirees or students (in other words, don't overthink it...lol)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

There are printed docs for ArriveCAN? You can’t show them the app? Does ArriveCAN email you something? I have yet to see an app with a print function. The whole point of an app is you can do it On your phone.

Exactly! You probably can show the email from your ArriveCAN receipt, but the app doesn't show the bar code and receipt reference code and that's what they wanted to see. I did a screen shot of the email and printed it as a backup. They wanted to see the receipt and barcode 3 different times in the terminal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3some said:

Exactly! You probably can show the email from your ArriveCAN receipt, but the app doesn't show the bar code and receipt reference code and that's what they wanted to see. I did a screen shot of the email and printed it as a backup. They wanted to see the receipt and barcode 3 different times in the terminal. 

I agree.

I had to print out the receipt reference code/barcode before I was able to check in for my flight from Barcelona on May 8th.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:52 PM, Saint Greg said:

Keep an eye on that because it looks like they’re allowing Carnival people to book it online but JH is telling people Carnival isn’t doing it right now. 

I had posed the Port Valet question on the West Coast departures board a few weeks ago - here is a response received by @geneparmesan:

My Carnival Spirit cruise ended yesterday (May 18th). I did not receive any Port Valet information or luggage tags on my last night (even though I received the reminder email two days before), so I assume that means Carnival is still not participating. We ended up carrying our luggage off ourselves. 

So, looks like still no Carnival participation in Port Valet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I agree that it could be risky. I've seen the claims that the rapid naat is a pcr and would work for the 72 hours but we wasn't willing to risk it. If all else fails, several in our group made appointments with a mobile testing service in Seattle that came to them but it was a bit pricey.

As for the ArriveCan, I only showed the qr code at the port on my phone. I did however print our the receipt from them and did a screenshot of the code as a backup. There was so much involved plus the uncertainty with it being the first cruise, I was paranoid. 

44 minutes ago, RazorPokesHoney said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I agree that it could be risky. I've seen the claims that the rapid naat is a pcr and would work for the 72 hours but we wasn't willing to risk it. If all else fails, several in our group made appointments with a mobile testing service in Seattle that came to them but it was a bit pricey.

As for the ArriveCan, I only showed the qr code at the port on my phone. I did however print our the receipt from them and did a screenshot of the code as a backup. There was so much involved plus the uncertainty with it being the first cruise, I was paranoid. 

I have a home test. I'd just rather not waste my Seattle time doing it. I already have two hours less than I had planned. And I don't like that being my only option. In case the test gets confiscated by TSA or destroyed in my backpack.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I have a home test. I'd just rather not waste my Seattle time doing it. I already have two hours less than I had planned. And I don't like that being my only option. In case the test gets confiscated by TSA or destroyed in my backpack.

According to TSA you can take an unused Covid test in your carry-on or checked luggage onto a plane

Edited by scoobysnacks70
added info

On 5/17/2022 at 9:08 PM, Saint Greg said:

I got this email from Amazon today saying I could get two free audio books. Seemed like good timing with the trip coming up.

38460D8E-8977-420A-A210-A892A21E997C.thumb.jpeg.ca814a6883a77085d03e40dd48eb326d.jpeg

I found a couple books I’ve wanted to read but haven’t and downloaded them. I have almost 20 hours of audio books for the trip now. I just need to cancel that audible within a month.

0A5EFBFC-408F-4F7F-A5A4-F1B49D396953.thumb.jpeg.7ab6dfe999d2792795b034cefcbc9458.jpeg

I tried to download Cruise Confidential and was told my level of membership wasn't high enough and if I wanted to add money, I could get the book.  Hmmmm....

5 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I tried to download Cruise Confidential and was told my level of membership wasn't high enough and if I wanted to add money, I could get the book.  Hmmmm....

Do you have free tokens or whatever? My email said I had two free tokens. Each of those books were one token.