Quarantine - APEX TA & British Isles Cruises

suzyluvs2cruise

31 minutes ago, Babr said:

I don’t think there are different policies for different ships. The OP was on a TA that left April 30 so was grandfathered in.

Well, go back a few pages. 
The poster JetBlue stated that he was told by a Celebrity official that each ship is independent. His was the beginning of the Covid Transatlantic disasters. 

We sailed on April 22. So much for the grandfathering. 
Italy decided our fate. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bananavan said:

Well, go back a few pages. 
The poster JetBlue stated that he was told by a Celebrity official that each ship is independent. His was the beginning of the Covid Transatlantic disasters. 

We sailed on April 22. So much for the grandfathering. 
Italy decided our fate. 

I didn’t bother to go back because I think the discussion with Jet Blue was about where people were quarantined on the ship. As I remember, the captain has the discretion to determine that.

On the other hand, the refund and cancellation policy is company wide determined at a different level. I remember that you were given the option to disembark but rejected it in favor of staying on the ship. Financial assistance was not the issue, rather the length of the required quarantine in Italy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

I didn’t bother to go back because I think the discussion with Jet Blue was about where people were quarantined on the ship. As I remember, the captain has the discretion to determine that.

On the other hand, the refund and cancellation policy is company wide determined at a different level. I remember that you were given the option to disembark but rejected it in favor of staying on the ship. Financial assistance was not the issue, rather the length of the required quarantine in Italy.

There was no financial offering made to anyone on The Edge. If we left the ship all onward arrangements were our own.  That is how it remains. 
And as you point out, JetBlue had issues about his placement for Quarantine. He asked why some passengers were able to stay in balcony cabins etc and was told that there was not a fleet wide policy.

They must not have had  to deal with the worries about getting home etc. 

But keep posting your truths from the comfort of home. 
Thanks . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bananavan said:

There was no financial offering made to anyone on The Edge. If we left the ship all onward arrangements were our own.  That is how it remains. 
And as you point out, JetBlue had issues about his placement for Quarantine. He asked why some passengers were able to stay in balcony cabins etc and was told that there was not a fleet wide policy.

They must not have had  to deal with the worries about getting home etc. 

But keep posting your truths from the comfort of home. 
Thanks . 

No offense intended. You made the right choice for your situation. Nor would I want to be confined to a hotel in Italy with the uncertainties you faced regardless of who was paying for it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Today is Day 3 of my  quarantine on APex. While the 1st day was a Learning day for all of us...both crew and quarantined passengers...being in quarantine for me, is going OK. Would I rather be off in the ports exploring...of course...but I can't and am trying to make the best of each day. While I enjoyed my Sky Suite on the TA, the Infinite Veranda set up with the floor to ceiling window that's opens is ideal....and IMHO....better tha a regular balcony. 

Medical has called each day to check up on me,  my husband has been tested 3x and continues to test negative and I'll be tested tomorrow...day 5. Fingers crossed that I might test Negative. If so, then it's another test on day 6. 

We've learned that we need to order at least an hour ahead of when we want to eat. Last night's dinner was good...tasty and almost piping hot. The Decoy Cabernet added to our dining experience. There's one desk and a low table...which doesn't lend itself to dining so I improvised and put the cushion from one of the chairs on the other and used that for my table. Not perfect but better than bending down. 

My DH walks every day at home and quarantine is no different. He's walking every hour and logged 6 miles  yesterday and more than that today according to his Fitbit. He goes f5om the window to the door and back again. Hope the carpet holds up...Lol. I'm dancing to the music on the TV in 15 min increments. Not as many miles as he has done but we have to try to be active. Oh....and we're still talking to one another! Only 9 days to go...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Babr said:

No offense intended. You made the right choice for your situation. Nor would I want to be confined to a hotel in Italy with the uncertainties you faced regardless of who was paying for it.

Thank you for that. 
My husband and I booked the Retreat in April of 2021. 
We did not move up as there was no incentive to move from a Sky suite to any other suite lower than a Royal suite. 
However the entire Retreat experience was no longer ours after April 30, when he tested positive. He was in quarantine, eating off paper products and I was relegated to eating room service for every meal. 
This has not changed. 
I had one dinner in the Luminae after I was no longer expected to wear a mask everywhere and then I tested positive on May 9. Obviously not from my husband. . 
The reports on the Italian Government run hotels are frightening. 

As for the Medical department checking on us, nobody has called me regarding Covid in tow days. 
And when we call Customer Relations to ask to speak to Medical we are asked why we want to speak to them. The information is then sent to the Medical Department  who decide if they want to take the call. 
There  are two distinct Medical specialties, Covid and regular. God forbid you are both, like I have been. I had to call to get my IV line removed this afternoon . Nobody called me to ask how I was feeling despite having IV meds yesterday. 

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We've learned that we need to order at least an hour ahead of when we want to eat. Last night's dinner was good...tasty and almost piping hot. The Decoy Cabernet added to our dining experience. There's one desk and a low table...which doesn't lend itself to dining so I improvised and put the cushion from one of the chairs on the other and used that for my table. Not perfect but better than bending down.

Glad your food is getting better.  That Decoy Cab is very good!  Not sure about Apex, but on Edge that desk can be pulled out and used as a table. We did that for room service breakfast.

Good luck with your test tomorrow.

By the way, after this will you change your username to suzystllluvs2cruise? 🙂

Edited by RoamingRetirees
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Glad your food is getting better.  That Decoy Cab is very good!  Not sure about Apex, but on Edge that desk can be pulled out and used as a table. We did that for room service breakfast.

Good luck with your test tomorrow.

By the way, after this will you change your username to suzystllluvs2cruise? 🙂

Thanks...the desk doesn't come out like those on Quantum class ships....wish it did. 

I'm sure we'll still want to cruise again but not until testing to return to the US is not in effect.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks...the desk doesn't come out like those on Quantum class ships....wish it did. 

I'm sure we'll still want to cruise again but not until testing to return to the US is not in effect.

I agree. The testing needs to stop.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Even after announcing everyone must wear a mask people did not and crew did not tell them to wear one 

There were people who did a self test early day 2 ish , test positive , stay in their for about a day felt fine and left their cabins unmask to have a good time 

celebrity did not notify any of friends that my wife tested positive, so much for close contact tracing 

This has been a complete ***** show by Celebrity, 

The attitude I got from the Apex staff --- Gestapo and the Hotel Director --- was that the party goes on regardless of what is happening with COVID and how many passengers have it. 

On 5/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We're on for the full 12 nights but if I test Neg on both day 5 and day 6 I can move about. If Positive on day 5 you have to wait until the end of your 10 day quarantine.

What an absolute nightmare. I can’t imagine what you all are going through.  

Is your 10 day max quarantine tied to the requirements of your disembark port?  Italy has a max 21 day quarantine or negative test whichever comes first. So for those cruises that end there, does that mean could be in ship quarantine for a possible full 21 days? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Is your 10 day max quarantine tied to the requirements of your disembark port?  Italy has a max 21 day quarantine or negative test whichever comes first. So for those cruises that end there, does that mean could be in ship quarantine for a possible full 21 days? 

From what I'm told the 10 days is a Netherlands requirement. I can't speak to what Italy's requirements are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Those on our cruise to Rome were in quarantine for 10 days and then released to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Those on our cruise to Rome were in quarantine for 10 days and then released to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

So in that case, rather than being offloaded, it would be better to remain onboard as the isolation period could be shorter I suppose.

15 minutes ago, rachiem said:

So in that case, rather than being offloaded, it would be better to remain onboard as the isolation period could be shorter I suppose.

When we tested for b2b, we were told we had to get off if we tested positive. However, that's not what happened . They stayed on for the quarantine. I don't know for sure that it's true, but I heard that Italy wouldn't let them off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

From what I'm told the 10 days is a Netherlands requirement. I can't speak to what Italy's requirements are. 

Netherlands requirements

Health resources

If you have coronavirus symptoms:

• Remain inside. Do not leave your home or hotel room. 

• Arrange to be tested for coronavirus. Call 0800-1202 to schedule an appointment. 

• If you test positive for coronavirus, you and any travelling companions must self-isolate in your holiday accommodation for two weeks.

• Thanks 4

9 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

Watch this space. 
I am going to find out soon enough. 
I test again on May 20, which will be Day 12 for me. 
Failing then will result in another 9 days. 
Of course, I should have known better. 
I was called today and told that they are trying to see if it is possible for me to test earlier than Friday but I am not holding out hope. 
I am trying to ascertain the rules for isolation post positive test for flying back to the USA via KLM. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bananavan said:

Watch this space. 
I am going to find out soon enough. 
I test again on May 20, which will be Day 12 for me. 
Failing then will result in another 9 days. 
Of course, I should have known better. 
I was called today and told that they are trying to see if it is possible for me to test earlier than Friday but I am not holding out hope. 
I am trying to ascertain the rules for isolation post positive test for flying back to the USA via KLM. 

I’ve been following your story and it’s an absolute nightmare. My heart goes out to you and your husband. The psychological stress of it all …I can’t imagine the toll it takes. 

If one has chosen to stay onboard once one has tested positive, as soon as one tests negative, do they make you get off the ship at the next port, whatever that may be?  Are you hoping to fly out of Rome? Please do keep us posted on the isolation rules from whatever location you disembark. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

I’ve been following your story and it’s an absolute nightmare. My heart goes out to you and your husband. The psychological stress of it all …I can’t imagine the toll it takes. 

If one has chosen to stay onboard once one has tested positive, as soon as one tests negative, do they make you get off the ship at the next port, whatever that may be?  Are you hoping to fly out of Rome? Please do keep us posted on the isolation rules from whatever location you disembark. 

Thank you, the psychological anguish has started to really  hit hard. 
My Day 12 of testing is on May 20 .The cruise ends in Civitavecchia on May 21. 
IF I am negative I can go to the aiport.
Whether I am permitted boarding is another story. 
From the first time that Celebrity rebooked our flights, my name was incorrectly keyed in. 
I mentioned this to CS and was told that it would be taken care of. 
So another flight was booked once I tested positive because my Day 7 test was the day after we arrived in Civitavecchia. Once again the misspelling of my name. 
And I mentioned this yesterday and today and am still waiting for changed tickets. 
I am not holding my breath. 
My husband tested positive on April 30. 
We have not eaten at a real table since then, either of us. 
I would love it if we could test negative and disembark but there are few options for flights home from some of the smaller islands. 

This is terrible…no way to be treated. I hope more people read this, and cancel. No one should have to go through this and especially when it sounds like the medical people are totally indifferent. Very sorry. 

6 hours ago, mikewomb said:

This is terrible…no way to be treated. I hope more people read this, and cancel. No one should have to go through this and especially when it sounds like the medical people are totally indifferent. Very sorry. 

Please read my posts. I'm the OP and started this thread. My experience has not been like that of bananavan. The Medical team on APEX have all been good. 

If you want to follow bananavan experience here's her thread. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Please read my posts. I'm the OP and started this thread. My experience has not been like that of bananavan. The Medical team on APEX have all been good. 

I have really enjoyed your approach and perspective on your take.

I would dare to suggest that were the situation similar to a few others you still would be looking forward and making the best of it and working towards getting better and heading home.

Each of us have our 'personal' viewpoint on what the cruise line vs cruise medical team vs dining options vs all of the rest of it, needs to be done and etc.

Thank you for your outlook and posting on this and the fact that you understand and have a good grip on what is what and keeping your head up and spirits up until you can get home...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bananavan said:

Thank you, the psychological anguish has started to really  hit hard. 
My Day 12 of testing is on May 20 .The cruise ends in Civitavecchia on May 21. 
IF I am negative I can go to the aiport.
Whether I am permitted boarding is another story. 
From the first time that Celebrity rebooked our flights, my name was incorrectly keyed in. 
I mentioned this to CS and was told that it would be taken care of. 
So another flight was booked once I tested positive because my Day 7 test was the day after we arrived in Civitavecchia. Once again the misspelling of my name. 
And I mentioned this yesterday and today and am still waiting for changed tickets. 
I am not holding my breath. 
My husband tested positive on April 30. 
We have not eaten at a real table since then, either of us. 
I would love it if we could test negative and disembark but there are few options for flights home from some of the smaller islands. 

I have mental anguish just reading this account...best wishes for a safe flight ON MAY 20!!!

1 hour ago, mikewomb said:

Agree - this account and that of @jetblue is precisely why we cancelled our Aug 1 APEX international trip

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

bananavan has also posted about her experience in this thread to contrast yours. No need to send people away for responding appropriately

• Like 1