Quarantine - APEX TA & British Isles Cruises

suzyluvs2cruise

I tested positive on Apex on May 12...my husband was negative. At that point the Capt had announced positives were at 3% and everyone was to mask except while eating or drinking.

My symptoms were that of a head cold/sinus pressure. We were to fly home on May 14 and would need negative Covid results so I self-tested and when the result was positive I called medical. They came to our SS and tested both of us. I was positive and DH negative. We stayed in our cabin and Celebrity gave us our options the next day....We could stay onboard for the next cruise....12 nt British Isles...or quarantine for 10 days in an Amsterdam hotel with $$ toward hotel cost and nothing for food. We opted to stay onboard....

as have about 50 others. We are all on deck 6.  My DH chose to quarantine with me but could have had his own IV cabin on deck 9.

Today is Day 2 and having a floor to ceiling window that opens to allow fresh air in is a huge plus.

Room Service - Even though yesterday was embarkation day and RS is closed we had 4 choices for lunch and the DR or RS menu for dinner. Only problem was we have no access to the APP so have no idea what is on the MDR menu. Time from order to delivery was very slow and food was lukewarm at best. I'm hoping it will get better....which it did tonight. 

This is certainly not what we....or anyone else anticipated...but we're trying to make the best of the situation. I do think that written communication about procedures and a dedicated phone # for those in quarantine would benefit both Guest Services staff and those in quarantine. Ask away and I'll try to answer any questions as well as post daily updates if there's interest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

I thank you for posting your experiences, and I would very much appreciate updates. We have a similar b2b booked for next year, and I’m trying to stay abreast of evolving conditions (and requirements). I hope your husband continues to test negative, and that you feel better very soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having spent 8 days in quarantine I can emphasise. Be glad for a full window and fresh air.

Agree the room service food was luke warm at best

Good luck with your quarantine. I found that in these instances you need to remember to advocate for yourself.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing your story…hope your symptoms are mild and your husband stays negative…

we are booked on the Edge out of Rome in September and are now second guessing…

when will you disembark…are you on for the full 12 nights…will they test you at some point to see if you are negative and at that point are you allowed out of isolation.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

Thanks for sharing your story…hope your symptoms are mild and your husband stays negative…

we are booked on the Edge out of Rome in September and are now second guessing…

when will you disembark…are you on for the full 12 nights…will they test you at some point to see if you are negative and at that point are you allowed out of isolation.

We're on for the full 12 nights but if I test Neg on both day 5 and day 6 I can move about. If Positive on day 5 you have to wait until the end of your 10 day quarantine.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

Hope you are feeling better soon. You mentioned that Celebrity offered $$ toward hotel rather than staying on board. Would you mind sharing how much they offered? 

THANKS...The off was for up to $250/night for a hotel with no coverage for food, testing or a Certificate of Recovery that's needed to fly back to the US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I thank you for posting your experiences, and I would very much appreciate updates. We have a similar b2b booked for next year, and I’m trying to stay abreast of evolving conditions (and requirements). I hope your husband continues to test negative, and that you feel better very soon.

me too. We have Barcelona to Rome in August and was reading up on what Celebrity will do if you test positive.  Its interesting to hear your experience and what they are doing for you.  I would have opted to stay on board too.  Get well soon and glad you husband was allowed to join you.

• Like 1

My wife tested positive  on May 5 , 5 days late she was still positive so they stop testing and said she must quarantine for the rest of the cruise,  so on the May 14 they gave her a letter indicating she quarantine for 9 nights 

no money for a day or offer to stay on the ship , she used a self test on day 8 and was negative, and stay in her cabin until we got off

Celebrity pick up our passport to hand over to Hollands immigration, for the  people who tested positive, I tested negative but close contact 

As we got off we ask for our passport , they said immigration took , and here where pick them up 

100€ cab ride to the address and find out they are not there but at another office ! 
Get there , immigration has the passports , and no idea why Celebrity handed them over as they only wanted info of people who positive, not close contact

total cab ride cost back to Movenpick 235€
next day we were driving by the location and we stop to pick up the sister in law’s passport, only to find out they were sent back to first location ! 

Even after announcing everyone must wear a mask people did not and crew did not tell them to wear one 

There were people who did a self test early day 2 ish , test positive , stay in their for about a day felt fine and left their cabins unmask to have a good time 

celebrity did not notify any of friends that my wife tested positive, so much for close contact tracing 

This has been a complete ***** show by Celebrity, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 12

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My wife tested positive  on May 5 , 5 days late she was still positive so they stop testing and said she must quarantine for the rest of the cruise,  so on the May 14 they gave her a letter indicating she quarantine for 9 nights 

no money for a day or offer to stay on the ship , she used a self test on day 8 and was negative, and stay in her cabin until we got off

Celebrity pick up our passport to hand over to Hollands immigration, for the  people who tested positive, I tested negative but close contact 

As we got off we ask for our passport , they said immigration took , and here where pick them up 

100€ cab ride to the address and find out they are not there but at another office ! 
Get there , immigration has the passports , and no idea why Celebrity handed them over as they only wanted info of people who positive, not close contact

total cab ride cost back to Movenpick 235€
next day we were driving by the location and we stop to pick up the sister in law’s passport, only to find out they were sent back to first location ! 

Even after announcing everyone must wear a mask people did not and crew did not tell them to wear one 

There were people who did a self test early day 2 ish , test positive , stay in their for about a day felt fine and left their cabins unmask to have a good time 

celebrity did not notify any of friends that my wife tested positive, so much for close contact tracing 

This has been a complete ***** show by Celebrity, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and not happy to hear there was no contact tracing testing. We are not traveling with anyone but did Celebrity bus excursions where they took name/room #....for what I assumed could be contact tracing information. 

Do you know if they took passports for everyone who tested positive? 

15 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

THANKS...The off was for up to $250/night for a hotel with no coverage for food, testing or a Certificate of Recovery that's needed to fly back to the US.

I hope you are feeling better as well and wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Interesting that Celebrity offered $250 a night but no coverage for food...did they give a reason why food would not be covered?  

And what about your flights home...did you use Flights by Celebrity and if so, will they cover change fees?

Terrible situation. I suspect that Celebrity did what immigration requested and also gave you the info they shared. Immigration messed this up badly.  The ship handling of covid was bad also.  Then the many people who hid symptoms ...  such a mess!!

5 hours ago, cadburysmom said:

I hope you are feeling better as well and wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Interesting that Celebrity offered $250 a night but no coverage for food...did they give a reason why food would not be covered?  

And what about your flights home...did you use Flights by Celebrity and if so, will they cover change fees?

Thanks...I am feeling better. Ididn't ask why there wasn't any coverage for food and, yes, they will cover $250 (I think) in airline change fees but not for any fare increase. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks...I am feeling better. Ididn't ask why there wasn't any coverage for food and, yes, they will cover $250 (I think) in airline change fees but not for any fare increase. 

Sue, thanks for your reply and glad to hear you're feeling better. 

Wishing you better luck with room service and more importantly, NEGATIVE test results so you can finally be set free and somewhat enjoy what's left of your vacation.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I tested positive on Apex on May 12...my husband was negative. At that point the Capt had announced positives were at 3% and everyone was to mask except while eating or drinking.

My symptoms were that of a head cold/sinus pressure. We were to fly home on May 14 and would need negative Covid results so I self-tested and when the result was positive I called medical. They came to our SS and tested both of us. I was positive and DH negative. We stayed in our cabin and Celebrity gave us our options the next day....We could stay onboard for the next cruise....12 nt British Isles...or quarantine for 10 days in an Amsterdam hotel with $$ toward hotel cost and nothing for food. We opted to stay onboard....

as have about 50 others. We are all on deck 6.  My DH chose to quarantine with me but could have had his own IV cabin on deck 9.

Today is Day 2 and having a floor to ceiling window that opens to allow fresh air in is a huge plus.

Room Service - Even though yesterday was embarkation day and RS is closed we had 4 choices for lunch and the DR or RS menu for dinner. Only problem was we have no access to the APP so have no idea what is on the MDR menu. Time from order to delivery was very slow and food was lukewarm at best. I'm hoping it will get better....which it did tonight. 

This is certainly not what we....or anyone else anticipated...but we're trying to make the best of the situation. I do think that written communication about procedures and a dedicated phone # for those in quarantine would benefit both Guest Services staff and those in quarantine. Ask away and I'll try to answer any questions as well as post daily updates if there's interest.

Found you!!!

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cadburysmom said:

Please note the policy changed May 1 - no financial assistance going forward, only the option to remain on board. Assistance with flights if booked through Celebrity.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

Please note the policy changed May 1 - no financial assistance going forward, only the option to remain on board. Assistance with flights if booked through Celebrity.

Assistance = making flight changes but passengers must absorb change/ticket price differences >5/1/22

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Babr said:

Do you have a link to this this? And is it for sailings after May 1?

21 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Very interesting.

So to all of you vultures who have stated we should have known better etc, I accept your apology.

This was dated April 22.2022. That was the day the Edge set sail. 
it is interesting that each ship has different policies as to remaining on board Etc.

that makes things more confusing for those of us caught in the mess, but not for those prescient ones who have all the answers before the questions are prepared. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bananavan said:

Very interesting.

So to all of you vultures who have stated we should have known better etc, I accept your apology.

This was dated April 22.2022. That was the day the Edge set sail. 
it is interesting that each ship has different policies as to remaining on board Etc.

that makes things more confusing for those of us caught in the mess, but not for those prescient ones who have all the answers before the questions are prepared. 

I don’t think there are different policies for different ships. The OP was on a TA that left April 30 so was grandfathered in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Terrible situation. I suspect that Celebrity did what immigration requested and also gave you the info they shared. Immigration messed this up badly.  The ship handling of covid was bad also.  Then the many people who hid symptoms ...  such a mess!!

Wrong , it was Celebrity who screwed according to immigration 

and the way Celebrity officers were treating us I would believe it ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Wrong , it was Celebrity who screwed according to immigration 

and the way Celebrity officers were treating us I would believe it ! 

We had to turn in our Passports yesterday in Dover for British Immigration and have not yet received them back. I'm curious if they will be held 🤔 and what the process will be for us when we return to Amsterdam.