Quarantine - APEX TA & British Isles Cruises

suzyluvs2cruise

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

bananavan has also posted about her experience in this thread to contrast yours. No need to send people away for responding appropriately

Except it has almost taken over this thread and overshadowed the good as reported by the OP. We were on Reflection, and they were also treated very well. They did their ten days and were free to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

bananavan has also posted about her experience in this thread to contrast yours. No need to send people away for responding appropriately

I wasn't sending anyone away (your words). What I was doing was sharing a link to banavan's thread so the poster could follow her experience there.....which I hope he and others do as her experience is very different from mine and should be followed on the thread she created. If you go back and read her 1st post on this thread you'll see that it was not to contrast her experience with mine.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Please read my posts. I'm the OP and started this thread. My experience has not been like that of bananavan. The Medical team on APEX have all been good. 

If you want to follow bananavan experience here's her thread. 

I just want to say that maybe you think it has been okay…that is not a good cruise experience and how anyone could say it is “not that bad” is beyond me.  Going on a cruise should be a relaxing experience. If the cruise lines cannot provide that and some customers seem to be happy in quarantine I hope they all go out of business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Technically, you are correct...

Specifically, bananavan has lots to say about her experience and encounters and upsets, which would be best read in full and unadulterated at their thread instead of doing a 'readers digest' version elsewhere in the forum... IMO

In case someone did not know that that thread was available before reading this one, they will know and can follow the link through. A very good service for bananavan.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

I just want to say that maybe you think it has been okay…that is not a good cruise experience and how anyone could say it is “not that bad” is beyond me.  Going on a cruise should be a relaxing experience. If the cruise lines cannot provide that and some customers seem to be happy in quarantine I hope they all go out of business. 

mw - it sounds like you are dismissing the potential fact that some passengers get mentally and emotionally ready for quarantine, if they test + for C-19 vs those who go thinking that nothing will happen and they are safe?

I think most of the posters who post positively about being quarantined accepted the fact and reasons for it under X's policy and procedures as they are being applied currently. Are they fair across the board? As I Am reading, quite possibly not.

Once aboard you are aboard and there is very little you can do to change them in the moment, so make the best of it until you get off the ship and make your way home where you will be happier in your own environment.

The current protocols are the protocols, we need to know what they are before boarding and if not satisfactory disembark immediately if you did not know them in advance.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

mw - it sounds like you are dismissing the potential fact that some passengers get mentally and emotionally ready for quarantine, if they test + for C-19 vs those who go thinking that nothing will happen and they are safe?

I think most of the posters who post positively about being quarantined accepted the fact and reasons for it under X's policy and procedures as they are being applied currently. Are they fair across the board? As I Am reading, quite possibly not.

Once aboard you are aboard and there is very little you can do to change them in the moment, so make the best of it until you get off the ship and make your way home where you will be happier in your own environment.

The current protocols are the protocols, we need to know what they are before boarding and if not satisfactory disembark immediately if you did not know them in advance.

In health and bon voyage

Anyone that “emotionally” gets ready for quarantine has their priorities very confused. That is absolutely nuts that anyone would want to cruise so badly they would risk their safety and care so little about the safety of others. Knowing what we know..just because we are vaccinated isn’t a guarantee. There will be those cruisers who get sick and die…maybe it hasn’t happened yet, but it will as they continue to pile the people on to full capacity. 

with reference to the protocols people don’t have a clue what they are because they are constantly changing. 

Edited by mikewomb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikewomb said:

Anyone that “emotionally” gets ready for quarantine has their priorities very confused. That is absolutely nuts that anyone would want to cruise so badly they would risk their safety and care so little about the safety of others. Knowing what we know..just because we are vaccinated isn’t a guarantee. There will be those cruisers who get sick and die…maybe it hasn’t happened yet, but it will as they continue to pile the people on to full capacity. 

with reference to the protocols people don’t have a clue what they are because they are constantly changing.

Again....your words, your opinion. This thread is to share MY experience in quarantine...nothing more. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

I think it’s all very well for us to sit in the comfort of our homes and think that we could prepare ourselves for everything that might happen in the event of being infected by the virus whilst on a cruise and subsequent events happen after.

If those people who think they’d take being holed up for the best part of three week in their stride, along with dealing with other health problems - I think they might be kidding themselves. Bananavan’s experience sounds very stressful, and I think she is being very brave with her honesty about how it’s making her feel. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikewomb said:

In one sense you are absolutely correct...

One must be emotionally ready in case they are quarantined otherwise, what is the reason to be upset and in angst if you are not? Knowing what we know about the policies, except those who did not have time to check them out beforehand and then???

They, X, will only pile in as many passengers who are willing to make a reservation and pay good money to cruise, regardless of C-19, their health and how the variant spreads.

Of course the protocols are constantly changing, another reason to deeply consider if cruising is the right vacation for any person due to this shifting landscape over which X does not have a lot of control over when it comes to individual country requirements.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it’s all very well for us to sit in the comfort of our homes and think that we could prepare ourselves for everything that might happen in the event of being infected by the virus whilst on a cruise and subsequent events happen after.

If those people who think they’d take being holed up for the best part of three week in their stride, along with dealing with other health problems - I think they might be kidding themselves. Bananavan’s experience sounds very stressful, and I think she is being very brave with her honesty about how it’s making her feel. 

How can anyone dispute your sage input, yet IMO we have to figure out beforehand, as far in advance as possible 'what is the worst case scenario if I contract C-19"...

Isolation, dis-embarked at the next port (which happened early on in the season),  etc...

I fully understand and accept that the poster has a great deal of stress in this situation, as many others might have and a few who have posted do/did not.

There are posters who have cancelled their UK, European and Med sailings due to not wanting to get caught up in the policies and protocols of what C-19 brings along with it and a few who have underlying conditions which would stress them out beyond belief to control in such a situation.

As I understand it (not sure) did not the poster choose to stay aboard vs getting off the ship in Italy to try and get home sooner? Be that as it may, their choice to do what they believe is best and I for one will not presume to tell them what is best for them only for me, based on the information provided or would I???

I only wish her G-D speed recovery and even speedier return home so the nightmare will end!

In health and bon voyage

I agree that we have to consider the practicalities of what might happen in worst case scenarios.

My next cruise isn’t until next March, and I’m only going to the Canary Islands, which may be considered as quite local. However, I have no idea if I will actually go, as, to be honest, I’m not sure if my desire to cruise is strong enough any more. Already I’m fed up of weighing up the pros and cons and considering what may or may not happen

People can spend months considering all this, yet the reality could still be more overwhelming than they thought, if they actually find themselves in the thick of it.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

In one sense you are absolutely correct...

One must be emotionally ready in case they are quarantined otherwise, what is the reason to be upset and in angst if you are not? Knowing what we know about the policies, except those who did not have time to check them out beforehand and then???

They, X, will only pile in as many passengers who are willing to make a reservation and pay good money to cruise, regardless of C-19, their health and how the variant spreads.

Of course the protocols are constantly changing, another reason to deeply consider if cruising is the right vacation for any person due to this shifting landscape over which X does not have a lot of control over when it comes to individual country requirements.

In health and bon voyage

As a UK cruiser we have under normal circumstances to make final payments to cruise lines 3 months in advance of sailing. That money becomes non refundable at that point resulting in 100% cancellation fees.  During the pandemic cruise lines relaxed these rules, most are now applying them meaning unless you take a large financial hit if the rules change you've little choice but to go with them.

Rules are changing all the time but the booking conditions are getting more rigid, protocols on help with quarantine and getting home are changing almost monthly and not in favour of the passenger.

More alarming the ships are not all doing the same with their quarantine guests.  Surely head office could get on top of this, at least knowing the rules they are going to apply and making it very clear.

Those in Amsterdam and the UK seem to be faring far better than others, mainly due to the countries' rules.  It is not unreasonable to expect Celebrity has its finger on the pulse and provides information before the passenger disembarks. 

I have seen no mention of a Celebrity representative assisting with contact/liaison with passengers' insurance companies whereas other lines do offer this thus removing a lot of the passengers' pressure in arranging accommodation, food and repatriation.

I do of course understand it is more complex for North American passengers at this time and that the culture expectations are different but for example reading experiences of those quarantined and repatriated from Cunard ships there is nowhere near the disatisfaction being read of in the Celebrity boards.

• Like 2

Maybe all these stories are beginning to take their toll.

Live reports on FB re Silhouette and Beyond report atmosphere akin to ghost ships.

I was on Silhouette first sailing out of Southampton which attracted 2800 passengers,the next one had 2500 passengers to the fjords.

Reports that the current sailing is down to 1500…Why?

Those on Beyond report the ship being 1/3rd full,,,,staff just hanging around with nothing to do,,,,one report says a staff member has told him X has told him to take his leave (1 month) early.Oh the irony!!!

Is it fear of quarantine,USA rules on re entry.fear of catching COVID?

Or what plenty of Brits  are saying is it the brutal pricing policy of X European cruises.

Or have Celebrity shot themselves in the foot by putting so many ships in Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Reports that the current sailing is down to 1500…Why?

Could be the ending of bank holidays and the run up to Queen's Jubilee celebrations suppressing demand?  I would hesitate a guess quite a few international passengers bailed as well once they saw what was happening with the T/A European arrivals.

Here at home we had the opportunity through the winter to watch Spain, Italy and Greece handling positive covid cases and their quarantine arrangements, they are all new to travellers from other countries and in some cases have come as a bit of a shock.  

• Like 1

I had my day 5 Covid test yesterday and result is POSITIVE. I will be released from quarantine on May 22 at 8am and get my Certificate of Recovery at that time. I'm not sure how much "freedom" I will have but with DH needing a negative test result to fly home on May 26 we may opt to stay in our "bubble". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I had my day 5 Covid test yesterday and result is POSITIVE. I will be released from quarantine on May 22 at 8am and get my Certificate of Recovery at that time. I'm not sure how much "freedom" I will have but with DH needing a negative test result to fly home on May 26 we may opt to stay in our "bubble". 

Sorry to hear that, my wife tested positive also , but they did move her to a balcony on that day from an ov 

she had check her iwatch after she was in the balcony it showed her oxygen levels were under 90% when she was in the ov 

I wonder if everyone had to a PCR test to board a ship would there be anyone on the ship ? 
because the way place do the quick test it really not up the same Standard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Could be the ending of bank holidays and the run up to Queen's Jubilee celebrations suppressing demand?  

I don't think that is much of a factor but there are many others

1. Hesitancy due to covid

2. Vastly increased pricing

3. Lack of overseas visitors (mainly USA & Canada) due to testing requirements to fly home.

4. Recession looming, inflation 9% and rising, massively increased energy costs.

5. Poor investment returns.

6. Bad planning by Celebrity. too many ships in Europe and not enough staff to give the expected service.

All in all, a perfect storm hitting many sectors, not just cruising.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

I don't think that is much of a factor but there are many others

1. Hesitancy due to covid

2. Vastly increased pricing

3. Lack of overseas visitors (mainly USA & Canada) due to testing requirements to fly home.

4. Recession looming, inflation 9% and rising, massively increased energy costs.

5. Poor investment returns.

6. Bad planning by Celebrity. too many ships in Europe and not enough staff to give the expected service.

All in all, a perfect storm hitting many sectors, not just cruising.

deleted post ...  sorry ... wrong info .. I thought this was about Silhouette, not Apex

Edited by kasijab

16 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

How can anyone dispute your sage input, yet IMO we have to figure out beforehand, as far in advance as possible 'what is the worst case scenario if I contract C-19"...

Isolation, dis-embarked at the next port (which happened early on in the season),  etc...

I fully understand and accept that the poster has a great deal of stress in this situation, as many others might have and a few who have posted do/did not.

There are posters who have cancelled their UK, European and Med sailings due to not wanting to get caught up in the policies and protocols of what C-19 brings along with it and a few who have underlying conditions which would stress them out beyond belief to control in such a situation.

As I understand it (not sure) did not the poster choose to stay aboard vs getting off the ship in Italy to try and get home sooner? Be that as it may, their choice to do what they believe is best and I for one will not presume to tell them what is best for them only for me, based on the information provided or would I???

I only wish her G-D speed recovery and even speedier return home so the nightmare will end!

In health and bon voyage

In more than one thread the OP has elected to stay onboard rather than disembark in Italy, where unless you have fully completed the local COVID protocols which require a 21 day time frame if still positive in order to leave (with a COR) is my understanding.  Italy quarantine hotels have their own set of challenges, language (unless you speak Italian) first and all other unknown conditions…it is not life under the “Tuscan Sun”.  Articles on line if you want to read them.  So a lesser of calculation.  Plus the ship at least with Bananavan has made some attempts to support although it is a daily roller coaster…anyone posting their experiences in quarantine are in my opinion to be supported with care and compassion for this journey.  Our eyes have been opened (thank you!) to all that is possible on a daily basis.  Onboard experiences are in some instances 180 degrees different with medical care and food being the central concerns. Home office has already responded to JetBlue who posted on their experience on their TA.  In a nutshell…Captain is in charge.  So do you now have a CC thread for “Best Celebrity Ship Quarantine Rating”. Glad people are making the best decisions they can for their own travel and if chosen, cancellation due to travel restrictions AND a less than experience in quarantine.  Only that will move Celebrity to any changes in how they deliver the onboard experience.  Otherwise this seems to be their cost of doing business and they will run 90+% full and accept 3+% COVID of reported not actual cases since most if actual are running in “red”.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 5:55 PM, mickeysgal said:

What an absolute nightmare. I can’t imagine what you all are going through.  

Is your 10 day max quarantine tied to the requirements of your disembark port?  Italy has a max 21 day quarantine or negative test whichever comes first. So for those cruises that end there, does that mean could be in ship quarantine for a possible full 21 days? 

Does Celebrity test everyone returning to Rome?  

On 5/17/2022 at 12:30 AM, RoamingRetirees said:

Those on our cruise to Rome were in quarantine for 10 days and then released to enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Oh my! 

On 5/17/2022 at 12:55 AM, RoamingRetirees said:

When we tested for b2b, we were told we had to get off if we tested positive. However, that's not what happened . They stayed on for the quarantine. I don't know for sure that it's true, but I heard that Italy wouldn't let them off.

Is Celebrity testing everyone on B2B sailing out of Rome?

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Sorry to hear that, my wife tested positive also , but they did move her to a balcony on that day from an ov 

she had check her iwatch after she was in the balcony it showed her oxygen levels were under 90% when she was in the ov 

I wonder if everyone had to a PCR test to board a ship would there be anyone on the ship ? 
because the way place do the quick test it really not up the same Standard

I hope you were able to alert medical about your low level of oxygen.  

Obviously, traveling during anytime, especially during a pandemic has its risk.  Just be papered for the unexpected. I highly recommend travel insurance that included COVID coverage AND have at a minimum 14 days extra days of your daily prescription medications. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kasijab said:
4 hours ago, 360Guy said:

In more than one thread the OP has elected to stay onboard rather than disembark in Italy, where unless you have fully completed the local COVID protocols which require a 21 day time frame if still positive in or to leave (with a COR) is my understanding.  Italy quarantine hotels have their own set of challenges

I am the OP of this thread. Your post references bananavan and her experiences in Italy....which I agree have been less than stellar. Her experiences can be followed on the thread she started about Testing Positive on EDGE TA.

Please ignore kasijab reference above. I am posting from my phone and cannot erase/remove it.

I am the OP of this thread. Your post references bananavan and her experiences in Italy....which I agree have been less than stellar. Her experiences can be followed on the thread she started about Testing Positive on EDGE TA.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Thanks 1