Unvaccinated Guests Question

cruzngrl

We are travelling with some friends who are not vaccinated (trying to get an exemption.  For those of you that are not vaccinated that have recently been on a cruise..How strict are they about letting you off the ship?

Check the Covid FAQ on Carnival.com.  Unless they are unable to vaccinated because of medial reasons, I don’t think they’ll get an exception.  Where are you sailing from?

• Vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children ages 5-11, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Alabama, New York and Virginia will operate under these criteria with the assumption that current restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place.
  • Vaccine exemptions for ships departing from California will be accommodated for children ages 5-11 and as required by U.S. federal law (in accommodation of medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs).
  • Vaccine exemptions for sailings to Canada will be accommodated for children 5-11 and for medical reasons, in accordance with destination requirements.
  • On European voyages, vaccine exemptions will only be accommodated for children ages 5-11 traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians, in accordance with destination requirements.
  • On round trip voyages of 10 days or longer, departing from and returning to North America, vaccine exemptions will only be accommodated as required by law and destination requirements. (Unfortunately, vaccine exemptions are not granted for unvaccinated minors under 12.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

With Covid cases increasing on ships I wouldn't count on a vaccine exemption. Just being real here ....

They allow up to 5% unvaccinated per sailing. But as has been mentioned, those with medically documented reasons as to why they are unvaccinated are getting most if not all the exceptions.

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They allow up to 5% unvaccinated per sailing. 

Carnival may bring that "up to" down to 1% or less for all we know. With the possibility of cases increasing  they may not want any risk of unvaccinated adults moving ahead right now.

8 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Carnival may bring that "up to" down to 1% or less for all we know. With the possibility of cases increasing  they may not want any risk of unvaccinated adults moving ahead right now.

I am just going by what their policies state. Do you have evidence that they are further restricting exceptions or are you just spreading FUD? We've had more than enough FUD about COVID over the past two plus years thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I am just going by what their policies state. Do you have evidence that they are further restricting exceptions or are you just spreading FUD? We've had more than enough FUD about COVID over the past two plus years thank you very much.

I said may  (twice) with increasing cases ...... big difference between that and "are". 

28 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They allow up to 5% unvaccinated per sailing. But as has been mentioned, those with medically documented reasons as to why they are unvaccinated are getting most if not all the exceptions.

Yes, I had read that about the 5%, but the Carnival site doesn’t say anything about allowing exceptions for those who aren’t vaxed EXCEPT for those with documented medical reasons.  It was my understanding that the 5% fell into that category.

Curious if any adult on CC that’s reading has been able to get an exception for any reason OTHER than medical?

8 minutes ago, melodyesch said:

Yes, I had read that about the 5%, but the Carnival site doesn’t say anything about allowing exceptions for those who aren’t vaxed EXCEPT for those with documented medical reasons.  It was my understanding that the 5% fell into that category.

Curious if any adult on CC that’s reading has been able to get an exception for any reason OTHER than medical?

From Carnival's COVID guest protocols page:

Vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children ages 5-11, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. 

The take-home here is "I don't want it" isn't a good enough reason right now. Maybe next year, we'll see.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I thought it was 10% now to still be considered highly vaccinated?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/05/05/cdc-cruise-ships-highly-vaccinated/9644744002/

"That means that ships are now to be considered "highly vaccinated" if 90% of passengers and 95% of crew members who are eligible to receive the COVID vaccine are fully vaccinated with a "primary series," or two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. "

Edited by cruisingguy007

23 minutes ago, melodyesch said:

I believe I have seen some people stare they got an exemption for religious reasons but that may also depend on where they are sailing from.  
For some reason when searching on mobile it doesn’t give me the option to restrict results to the Carnival forum but I do believe there was a fairly recent thread on this. 

Pretty sure on our recent Panorama cruise to Mexico there were no restrictions at the ports for unvaccinated, they could do excursions and/or independent stuff as well. No mask drama either, normal cruise conditions. I do know that some ports of call have restrictions out of the east coast/TX though. Best to check the individual itinerary to be sure. Hope everything works out and everyone gets to cruise.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I thought it was 10% now to still be considered highly vaccinated?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/05/05/cdc-cruise-ships-highly-vaccinated/9644744002/

"That means that ships are now to be considered "highly vaccinated" if 90% of passengers and 95% of crew members who are eligible to receive the COVID vaccine are fully vaccinated with a "primary series," or two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. "

None of that matters, it all boils down to Carnival's policies (which at the moment say a maximum of 5%  unvaxxed).

In my interpretation, the small percentage of unvaxxed gusts is really for the children who cannot get shots.

If an adult has a medical reason and can document that, they may also receive an exemption.  Not wanting to get vaxxed isn't a valid reason to give an exemption.

You can certainly have your friends apply, but I'd err on the side of NOT receiving the exemption.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

In my interpretation, the small percentage of unvaxxed gusts is really for the children who cannot get shots.

If an adult has a medical reason and can document that, they may also receive an exemption.  Not wanting to get vaxxed isn't a valid reason to give an exemption.

You can certainly have your friends apply, but I'd err on the side of NOT receiving the exemption.

^^^^^This! Well put! I agree completely! 👍

• Like 3

Here's what the Carnival site says about unvaccinated guests getting off the ship (the original question that was asked). I don't personally know how "strict" they are being about it. I know when the bubble excursions were being required they were strict because I heard multiple people at guest services complaining about it as though they didn't know the rules before they got on board.  I'm guessing no one has answered because it seems not a lot of unvaccinated adults are getting exemptions to cruise at all to even know if they're being strict. 

Shore Excursions and Destination Requirements for Unvaccinated Guests
  • Unvaccinated guests age 12 and older cannot go ashore in the ports of call on their own and guests may only debark in the ports of call if booked on a Carnival tour. At the conclusion of the tour, guests are encouraged to return to the ship; however, they may also enjoy dining and shopping in the port facility area.
  • In the event you choose not to purchase a Carnival tour, unvaccinated guests will have to remain on board.
  • Unvaccinated children age 11 and under are not required to purchase a Carnival shore excursion and may go ashore with their vaccinated parents/guardians to enjoy independent sightseeing (see below for specific requirements for certain destinations).
  • If your cruise visits a private port of call, such as Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays, unvaccinated guests may go ashore on their own or purchase any of our tours.
  • We cannot guarantee that additional restrictions will not be imposed by local authorities in the destinations we visit.
  • Please review the destination requirements for unvaccinated guests in the ports of call listed below:
    • San Juan – Based on our agreement with the destination, guests will have to remain on board
    • Cartagena, Colombia – age 18 and older will have to remain on board
    • Grand Turk – age 16 and older will have to remain on board
    • Bermuda – age 12 and older will have to remain on board
    • Bonaire – age 12 and older will have to remain on board
    • Grand Cayman – age 12 and older will have to remain on board
    • St. Kitts – age 12 and older will have to remain on board
    • Tortola – age 12 and older will have to remain on board

On the Paradise in March, there was a big hold-up for disembarkation at one of the ports, because someone was making a scene about not being able to get off in port due to being non-vaxx'd and not having a Carnival BUBBLE tour booked.  They were literally throwing a fit, and requesting a Sr Officer to come chat with them, while the rest of us were all getting frustrating waiting behind them.

Your vax status (or lack thereof) is tied to your sail/sign account, so when they scan your ID to get off, it flags you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

On the Paradise in March, there was a big hold-up for disembarkation at one of the ports, because someone was making a scene about not being able to get off in port due to being non-vaxx'd and not having a Carnival BUBBLE tour booked.  They were literally throwing a fit, and requesting a Sr Officer to come chat with them, while the rest of us were all getting frustrating waiting behind them.

Your vax status (or lack thereof) is tied to your sail/sign account, so when they scan your ID to get off, it flags you.

Uh-oh, like the kids eh? You get the double-beep, vibration and the red box..lol. Pretty sure things have changed in many ports now, only a handful that still have heavy restrictions.   

I have a client on Mardi Gras right now that is partially vaccinated and was luckily granted an exemption (he had a reaction requiring hospitalization after his first mRNA shot and his PCP determined it was better for him to skip a second shot and instead go hardcore on protective actions) and he has not been off the ship nor will he be allowed to based on port restrictions. His wife and kiddo have been allowed to leave. 

I think their ports this sailing are San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

• Like 1

I sailed out of Long Beach a few months ago with a religious accommodation.  There were several adults in our group that were granted one.  We weren't allowed off the ship without being in a bubble tour and the only way any other guest could tell we weren't vaccinated is that we had two holes punched in our sign and sail cards.  I don't think it's that difficult to get a religious accommodation depending on the port you are leaving from and the ports you are visiting.  Cruises to the Caribbean are more difficult to get an exemption.  Good luck!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, heididun said:

I sailed out of Long Beach a few months ago with a religious accommodation.  There were several adults in our group that were granted one.  We weren't allowed off the ship without being in a bubble tour and the only way any other guest could tell we weren't vaccinated is that we had two holes punched in our sign and sail cards.  I don't think it's that difficult to get a religious accommodation depending on the port you are leaving from and the ports you are visiting.  Cruises to the Caribbean are more difficult to get an exemption.  Good luck!!

The only state to recognize a religious exemption is California..so only ports out of that state.