Compare RCI with Celebrity Cruises for me please

We are going on our first ever RCI cruise in September. Over the years we’ve cruised with Costa , P&O and laterally many times on Celebrity ships. 

Sailing on Anthem of the Seas we chose this trip as it had the itinerary we wanted and sailed from our home port so no flying. But I’m anxious about whether we’ll enjoy the RCI experience so…What differences can we expect?  We are both about to celebrate our 60th Birthdays but still like to have some fun!  We enjoy good food and wine (got dining and beverage packages) and some entertainment. But won’t be rock climbing or sky diving!!!

Can someone describe the ship’s ambience, level of service, entertainment offerings etc?  I’m thinking it will be much like celebrity but with added entertainment options? School will be back in session so hoping for not too many noisy children 😬

Thanks for your help. Feels good to be back on  Cruise Critic!

3 hours ago, Jo42 said:

Sailing on Anthem of the Seas we chose this trip as it had the itinerary we wanted and sailed from our home port so no flying. But I’m anxious about whether we’ll enjoy the RCI experience so

Use the drop-down menu on the main RCI page here at CC to see Anthem related threads.

Hi,

I've cruised both Royal and Celebrity. There are quite a few differences I have experienced between the cruises but they also vary based on which individual ship/crew you have.

In general, I feel Celebrity is more upscale/luxury catering more to adults who are over 40. (That being said, my teenagers love Celebrity as well.) Celebrity seems to have fewer passengers, more space per passenger, no rushing, fewer lines, and generally better service.  Activities focus on the more mature crowd rather than rowdy youth. The food was generally better on Celebrity in both regular dining, suite dining, and specialty restaurants. Cafe al Bacio is my favorite coffee shop. Celebrity is my favorite cruise line to date.

Royal is more focused on families and attracting younger crowds, specifically with their larger ships. They are filled with activities catering to active folks and youth such as the flowrider, waterslides, rock walls, kids areas, etc. I found the specialty dining on Royal to be excellent but the rest can be hit-or-miss. I found more lines, more crowds, and less interested service. Some of the larger Royal ships seem like shopping malls but that may be a bit harsh. A Royal cruise is generally cheaper than Celebrity, but not always.

Entertainment may be a bit better in some cases on Royal but I really liked being able to mosey into the Celebrity show lounge 10 minutes before a show and still find a good seat. On Royal, there were more crowds, lines and you might not get a seat if you're not early enough.

Bar service and mixed drinks were much better on Celebrity.

I'm actually going back on Royal this summer and I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on. I just know what to expect.

Enjoy!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Cruisinfly.  Celebrity is definitely more geared to a more mature crowd.  Royal has many more daytime activities....line dancing at the pool, sexy man competition, belly flop competition, etc.  There is way more activities for children and teens on Royal such as water slides, carousel, zip line.  In my opinion, it is an entirely different vibe; much more activity and party type atmosphere.  Celebrity is geared more toward adults.  I have had great service on both lines.  However, after my last cruise on Royal, I feel that Celebrity has the edge on food.  You will enjoy Allure; especially since it's your first time on that type of ship.  It is huge and there is always something to do.  Yes, it is a different experience, but you will not be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean: Toyota, Honda, Nissan    Red Lobster, Olive Garden

Celebrity:               Lexus, Acura, Infiniti        Bonefish Grill, Maggiano's Little Italy

Edited by Vibe
spacing
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed Anthem 3 times this year and several other times precovid.

It is a nice ship.   We particularly enjoy the 270 area.   Several shows held here as well as various activities during the daytime such as trivia and bingo..   beautiful views with floor to ceiling windows,, 2 levels worth..   the solarium is multi tiered and fully enclosed should you have a chilly day but still want to relax in a pool or hot tub.  

The solarium bistro is a nice place to dine, included in cruise fare.

I like cafe 270 for lunch.    Must try the kummelweck (roast beef) sandwich.  They also offer several sandwich,, paninis, salads etc.

if you do Windjammer buffet there is a nice outdoor eating at the very rear of WJ.

if you are in a suite you will have access to Coastal Kitchen which also nice for various meals and included in cruise fare.

You should be able to get your celebrity loyalty status matched with Royal.  Diamond or higher will receive 4 or more drink vouchers per day per person.

I highly recommend you try the Wonderland restaurant at least once with your dining package.   

• Like 1

We enjoy both Royal and Celebrity.  Each has its own appeal.  I like to think of Celebrity as being in my living room and Royal as being in my family room.  Both are great rooms but each different.  Celebrity is more intimate, with smaller venues.  Royal has more entertainment that appeals to the masses.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

I'm actually going back on Royal this summer and I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on. I just know what to expect.

You have summed it all up well and as how we imagine it will be. For the moment Celebrity remains our favourite too, but it’s time to try something different!  Thank you for such an informative reply.  

11 hours ago, gcelkk said:

I like to think of Celebrity as being in my living room and Royal as being in my family room.

Love this analogy!  Thank you. 

13 hours ago, Vibe said:

Celebrity:               Lexus, Acura, Infiniti        Bonefish Grill, Maggiano's Little Italy

Oh dear 🫤

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You should be able to get your celebrity loyalty status matched with Royal. 

Thanks Sunshine3601. I wasn’t aware of that. Shall look into it. Wonderland is def on the list! It sounds a bit like Celeb Qsine?

14 hours ago, MLP12 said:

Yes, it is a different experience, but you will not be disappointed. 

Thank you. We are looking forward to it indeed. It’s been too long!

4 minutes ago, Jo42 said:

Thanks Sunshine3601. I wasn’t aware of that. Shall look into it. Wonderland is def on the list! It sounds a bit like Celeb Qsine?

You will definitely enjoy Wonderland.   The presentation is unique and the waitstaff has a lot of fun too.   The food was very good.   At times I wasn't sure exactly what I was eating but really enjoyed everything. 

You will probably see the Madhatter wandering around the ship too.

I think I'm echoing some other's sentiments but my wife and I cruised on Celebrity Solstice and greatly enjoyed it. We didn't have our son with us and definitely felt that it catered very well to the 40+ crowd.

Since then, we've cruised RCI twice with our son and we've found that RCI caters much better to families.

I think both give a pretty nice level of service, maybe a touch better at Celebrity. I appreciated the more in-depth learning opportunities that Celebrity focused on (Alaskan cruises) BUT I do think RCI brings a much more lively environment. The various boardwalk events (on Oasis, anyway), parties in the evening, etc. really helped bring a lot of fun, even adult-centered opportunities, to the boat.

If it was just my wife and I, we would be coin toss between the two. With my son, hands-down, no-brainer RCI.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vibe said:

LOL

The nearest Maggiano's to me shares a parking lot with Hooters.  Bonefish Grill is next door to Staples.

• Haha 1

Have sailed on both.  Love the quiet ambiance of celebrity.  However, the entertainment on Royal is excellent and Celebrity is fair at best.  The amenities on royal the Oasis and Above ships include: a Broadway show, ice skating and and Ice show, A water show and of course the usual comedy shows.  Also a great regular show.  

I typically prefer the choice of restaurants and food on Royal- but Celebrity food is often very good, especially the Lawn Club Grill on the S class ships.  Many more outdoor activities for all age groups on Royal- Staterooms and suites on Royal great as is the suite deck, lounge and restaurant. Only on the Edge class does Celebrity have excellent deck and lounge facilities for suite guest-   Also Coco Key- the Royal island is fabulous- much much better then Labadee which celebrity uses.

Bottom line both cruise lines are very good to excellent- and so much better then the other moderately priced cruise lines.

Edited by Cruise a holic

27 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

LOL

The nearest Maggiano's to me shares a parking lot with Hooters.  Bonefish Grill is next door to Staples.

LOl, I was thinking that was a terrible comparison myself. Maggiano's Little Italy = Olive Garden in my eyes and I'd eat at Red Lobster over Bonefish grill, in fact, I can get 40%-50% off Bonefish Grill all day/everyday from a gift card arbitrage site I frequently buy from (if that says anything). They (the two lines) don't really compare, one is like a AARP convention and the other a baseball game (crowd wise). Princess is probably closer to Celebrity as far as mass market lines. They have a closer crowd, endless boring seminars and such and no night life, basically sleepy cruises. RCI is more in line with Carnival.     

This is a good thread.  I've been told and come to understand just the opposite about Celebrity vs. RCCL - it was Celebrity that had a more party atmosphere while RCCL catered more to the more mature clientele.  We've only ever used RCCL, but after reading these comments, we very well may consider a Celebrity cruise if the itinerary is attractive.  

Thanks for starting this...

IME, we've found we really prefer the smaller Radiance Class ships to the massive ones.  The big ones feel like a floating amusement park to us and we've found we really miss the closer connection to the sea when on them. 

Also, we've found the best way to get away from the noise, chaos and kids is to get a full suite and make good use of the Concierge Lounge.  If you cruise that way, IMO, it's more like Celebrity which we've done quite a few cruises on too.  Royal is a good experience for the money.  You just have to figure out where you're most comfortable (in what type of cabin, what type of service, etc.).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

-   Also Coco Key- the Royal island is fabulous- much much better then Labadee which celebrity uses.

Celebrity does not use Labadee, they do not use any private "islands".  RCI is using both CoCoCay and Labadee for their ships.