Is taking water and snacks off the ship allowed?

Cruizy7

Hi!! 

Super excited to sail on the Carnival Dream ship this summer! Im trying to stay within my budget and think that bringing a refillable water bottle and some prepackaged snack (chips/candy) with me to the the beach to munch on while we are in Mohagany Bay Roatan can help save a few bucks. I know I can bring them ON the ship, but would Carnival allow me to bring water and snacks OFF the ship onto the island? 

Honestly, it depends on the port, not Carnival.  In many ports you can carry off commercially packaged foods and drinks; however, there are some who do not allow any food at all (Cozumel, for instance where they have dogs sniffing bags to identify food).  

Edited by Schoifmom

I can recall, back in the day, ordering a few sandwiches from room service and popping them in the Ziplocs we brought along, for consumption on excursions. That came in very handy more than once (one 6+hr excursion failed to provide the promised food). Now, was that "permitted", probably not.

Use your best judgement based on the situation. They have never gone through our bags getting off the ship - but I'm sure it's possible.

Tom

• Like 1

In Cozumel Mexican has had dogs to smell for fruits and illegal stuffs.  We had seen they took away those stuffs from cruise passengers before. 

South America (Chile/Argentina) they checked EACH passengers at the gang way.

We are as Americans we could afford to spend money on shore for snack.  

Enjoy the day.

I've never had trouble taking things like granola bars / pre-packaged crackers. I bring these items from home if I know we are having an extra long excursion or if we are going to be doing a lot of walking and away from the ship for hours. Not sure where you will fill up that refillable water bottle, though. Access to potable water may be very limited in some areas.

At some ports you might have problems taking off food but you won't have any problems taking off water. My wife always takes a camelbak filled using bottled water from the ship. In addition to plenty of water, my wife prefers the security of using the zippered pockets on the camelbak strapped to her back to taking a purse.

They usually issue a warning in Mexican ports about not taking food off the ship, and they might look for and confiscate fruit or meats, just as US customs do, but they also don't people packing lunches and to-go meals from the buffet and costing them money. I'd rather stop at a stall or convenience store and try something local, and I usually stop at an Oxo station in Mexico and pick up a coke zero and maybe try some Mexican candy or snack. If you stop at a restaurant or cafe or bakery, you can also experience local food and people and get to use a restroom and often wifi, and it's usually cheap. So in Puerto Vallarta I go to a cafe next to the ocean with $1 Corona/margarita specials, I order some chips and salsa, and rest in the shade and people watch and use their wifi. 

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Boooo

I guess they caught on to me.

I used to always take a few boxes of cheerios to feed the fishes while snokeling. Sad to heaR that is no more.

Weird.

I would think after Covid, individual boxes of cereal would be safer than a shared large container.

20 minutes ago, bguppies said:

I used to always take a few boxes of cheerios to feed the fishes while snokeling. Sad to heaR that is no more.

Weird.

I would think after Covid, individual boxes of cereal would be safer than a shared large container.

They are dispensers.  They are removing single serve containers.

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

Weird.

yes I would think so as well. hate those dispensers as the cereal either comes out slow or fast.

10 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I would think so as well. hate those dispensers as the cereal either comes out slow or fast.

Sort of like the mayo dispenser (Guy's Burgers) on the Liberty last weekend. It came out so fast, and with air, that I think a little got on the person next to me. I made them aware of how it was acting, so it didn't happen to them, and was just greeted with a blank "I don't care what you say" stare!

Tom

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sort of like the mayo dispenser (Guy's Burgers) on the Liberty last weekend. It came out so fast, and with air, that I think a little got on the person next to me. I made them aware of how it was acting, so it didn't happen to them, and was just greeted with a blank "I don't care what you say" stare!

Tom

OMG gotta love clueless folks!!!! not!!!!  Sometimes I say to myself "why bother".

BTW now I am hungry for a burger, thanks.....   I love them on the Vista.

Never had an issue with water. Packaged snacks are generally ok too, but not fruits or meats of course. Some countries may make you open your bag to examine and/or have a dog. We actually saw a dog alert on a lady who had an apple in her backpack! 

1 hour ago, CookieShip said:

Never had an issue with water. Packaged snacks are generally ok too, but not fruits or meats of course. Some countries may make you open your bag to examine and/or have a dog. We actually saw a dog alert on a lady who had an apple in her backpack! 

Lady is lucky she wasn't arrested.  Fruit is always forbidden to be taken off the ship 

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Lady is lucky she wasn't arrested.  Fruit is always forbidden to be taken off the ship 

I can't see someone being arrested for having an apple in their possession. They might make a bit of a scene (to scare her and others), but I don't think they'd go nuclear.

Tom

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I can't see someone being arrested for having an apple in their possession. They might make a bit of a scene (to scare her and others), but I don't think they'd go nuclear.

Tom

It can result in a hefty fine though.  

• Like 1