Solo Traveler booking Group Rate that Requires Double Occupancy

I have seen lots of posts and info that solo travelers can add a second "fake" traveler to room to book the cheaper rate when 2 person is cheaper. Then when boarding say they could not make it and no issues.

Does this hold true for a group rate offered by travel agents that is specific to double occupancy? We have an Alaska cruise book for 2023 and my sister wants to join as solo. Our group rate is way cheaper than the solo price. My concern would be that when the fake guest no shows they get moved back to normal rate.

6 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

My concern would be that when the fake guest no shows they get moved back to normal rate.

Rates don't get adjusted at the pier - no shows are fine. The only thing you may not get is the extra C&A points.

I would think, booking via a TA you would have to pony up $ and information.  Also if booking via RCCL, someone would be paying in advance before final payment date and unless there's a legit excuse, there'll be no refund for a no show.

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I would think, booking via a TA you would have to pony up $ and information. 

Yes, and a fake name can be used for the second person who will be a no show. The OP already knows that there are no refunds for the cruise fare for the no show.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, and a fake name can be used for the second person who will be a no show. The OP already knows that there are no refunds for the cruise fare for the no show.

Yup, not expecting money back. Booking it because it's cheaper, and want to make sure it would stay the cheaper 2 person group rate rather than the solo RCCL rate. If it's reverted because of a no show, might as well save trouble and book it from the start.

Glad to hear no change happens at the pier.

I have a friend in my travel circle that routinely does this twice a year. She gets group rates, books, uses her sisters name and pays for both. It is less than the Single Occupancy rate. Then, she boards and just says her sister is coming on a different flight. The sister is a no show, and the port fees are returned to her credit card.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gerbilicous said:

I have seen lots of posts and info that solo travelers can add a second "fake" traveler to room to book the cheaper rate when 2 person is cheaper. Then when boarding say they could not make it and no issues.

Does this hold true for a group rate offered by travel agents that is specific to double occupancy? We have an Alaska cruise book for 2023 and my sister wants to join as solo. Our group rate is way cheaper than the solo price. My concern would be that when the fake guest no shows they get moved back to normal rate.

I've never seen a group rate where 2 are cheaper than solo x 2. I've seen plenty of regular where it's a gty but not group rates.

That being said the solo pays the 2 person deposit for group rates.

@ourusualbeach are there some group rates where solo x 2 is more than a group rate for 2? Curious. 

Edited by firefly333

I've booked in a group as a solo no problem so this strikes me as odd. Though that was before covid. I did have to pay a deposit as if it was two people in the room. That was the only difference but it was refundable. 

• Like 1

I am confused. Book as a solo you pay the double rate. Port taxes only once.

Book as a double with a fake name - you still pay double. Port taxes refunded for the no show.

six of one - half a dozen of the other.

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I am confused. Book as a solo you pay the double rate. Port taxes only once.

Book as a double with a fake name - you still pay double. Port taxes refunded for the no show.

six of one - half a dozen of the other.

There are some regular rates that are gtys that only 2 can book that are cheaper than the price that comes up if I put in 1 pax. Some gtys arent available to solos without a fake person.

But I havent seen this issue with group rates. 

8 hours ago, Gerbilicous said:

Group rates can absolutely be booked as a solo.  The only time a dummy name is needed is when the initial reservation is created by a TA on line as cruising power will not create it for one.  It is a simple phone call to have the rate adjusted and have the dummy name removed.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, firefly333 said:

There are some regular rates that are gtys that only 2 can book that are cheaper than the price that comes up if I put in 1 pax. Some gtys arent available to solos without a fake person.

But I havent seen this issue with group rates. 

Yup, exactly this.

Regular rate for 2 ppl balcony is $2750

Solo in same balcony is $2450

Group rate from TA is $2150 

But was told group rate is only available with double occupancy so the solo could not book. So we added fake guest as cheaper to get that group rate.

I was just concerned that when they no show that some how the rate would flip but appears there is no concern for that.

3 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

Yup, exactly this.

Regular rate for 2 ppl balcony is $2750

Solo in same balcony is $2450

Group rate from TA is $2150 

But was told group rate is only available with double occupancy so the solo could not book. So we added fake guest as cheaper to get that group rate.

I was just concerned that when they no show that some how the rate would flip but appears there is no concern for that.

My TA books me as a solo in his groups - I have several booked right now as a solo  I do have to pay the deposit for 2 people though

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, molly361 said:

My TA books me as a solo in his groups - I have several booked right now as a solo  I do have to pay the deposit for 2 people though

When do you cancel or say the other guest is not coming?

At check-in in the app 30 days before or just when you arrive to port? If when at port does that limit you checking in before hand since no info for that guest?

3 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

When do you cancel or say the other guest is not coming?

Never if booked for two, but with a solo booking there's no second person.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 8:53 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Group rates can absolutely be booked as a solo.  The only time a dummy name is needed is when the initial reservation is created by a TA on line as cruising power will not create it for one.  It is a simple phone call to have the rate adjusted and have the dummy name removed.

Well guess I will need to check on this next time as all indication I got, that rate only worked based on double occupancy so we gave a second name. It's past final payment now so guess we'll just say they are a no show.

Edited by Gerbilicous

11 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

Well guess I will need to check on this next time as all indication I got, that rate only worked based on double occupancy so we gave a second name. It's past final payment now so guess we'll just say they are a no show.

Most likely it is either your TA is unaware that it can be done or they don't want to spend the time calling in to get Royal to adjust it.  It is not something that the TA can do, they have to call Royal.  I create the initial booking for solo clients and use a Jane Doe as second guest and then call in and get the Jane Doe removed, takes the rep about 5 seconds to make the change. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Most likely it is either your TA is unaware that it can be done or they don't want to spend the time calling in to get Royal to adjust it.  It is not something that the TA can do, they have to call Royal.  I create the initial booking for solo clients and use a Jane Doe as second guest and then call in and get the Jane Doe removed, takes the rep about 5 seconds to make the change. 

Thank you for this info! Can this be done after final payment or only before hand?