MSC State-of-the-Art IT Strikes Again!

JAGR

Well, the IT and marketing department is hard at work.  My wife got an email (picture below) inviting her to add a photo package to her upcoming cruise.  Only a few problems:

1.  The booking number is not ours.  I make all of our bookings so I know I didn't make this one.

2.  The email address is hers, but the salutation is to Margaret, inviting her to add the photo package.  The problem is that her name is Christina, not Margaret. 

3.  Now I have a wife wondering who this Margaret is that I am going on a cruise with.😊

In fairness, MSC is not targeting only her. I just got an offer for the photo promotion for another booking that is not mine.  Also, it is offered to a passenger named Brian, not John.  Now I'm left to wondering who this Brian is that my wife is going on a cruise with!  Lol.  Well played, MSC.  Well played....

image.png.abfa903540a592bd3885a41daf9a1a00.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, how fortunate you are all!!!... LOL!... :) :) :)

Now, more seriously: Is this email exactly the same that usually sends you, your regular email notifications? There is a potential for fraud here with those so many digital attacks Europe wise these days... Please contact MSC by phone or from one of your known email contacts. Don't use the error notification link eventually provided till you know this as being a legitimate MSC email.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nunagoras said:

Oh, how fortunate you are all!!!... LOL!... 🙂 🙂 🙂

Now, more seriously: Is this email exactly the same that usually sends you, your regular email notifications? There is a potential for fraud here with those so many digital attacks Europe wise these days... Please contact MSC by phone or from one of your known email contacts. Don't use the error notification link eventually provided till you know this as being a legitimate MSC email.

Have a nice day!...

Good point.  I never open links on emails like that,  I can see it potentially causing problems for the unwary.

• Thanks 1

It’s not just MSC that has IT issues, although they definitely have them. I was on Carnival a few weeks ago to Alaska and got several incorrect emails prior to the cruise, a “Hope you enjoyed your cruise” email 2 days before it departed and 3 Customer Satisfaction Survey emails since returning home. I think all lines are struggling with staffing issues now and probably have fewer people with less experience working.

• Like 1

If MSC ever gets their IT dept. and land customer service straightened out, they could be very dangerous to the other lines. Now, it seems that they are hiring who other companies fire for incompetence.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

3.  Now I have a wife wondering who this Margaret is that I am going on a cruise with.😊

That cracked me up. 

At least it’s not just MSC. Carnival has sent people post cruise emails for cruises they are taking in the near future. And there was one time a bunch got notified their cruise was cancelled due to not being vaccinated when they were. The cruise wasn’t actually cancelled. 
My husband and I got repeated emailed, like 10 in one day, suggesting that we download and use VeriFLY. 

Maybe they share and IT department b

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Well, the IT and marketing department is hard at work.  My wife got an email (picture below) inviting her to add a photo package to her upcoming cruise.  Only a few problems:

1.  The booking number is not ours.  I make all of our bookings so I know I didn't make this one.

2.  The email address is hers, but the salutation is to Margaret, inviting her to add the photo package.  The problem is that her name is Christina, not Margaret. 

In fairness, MSC is not targeting only her. I just got an offer for the photo promotion for another booking that is not mine.  Also, it is offered to a passenger named Brian, not John.  Now I'm left to wondering who this Brian is that my wife is going on a cruise with!  Lol.  Well played, MSC.  Well played....

I would call up and cancel their booking as you have the info. 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAGR said:

You may want to consider that Margaret and Bryan are getting emails that belong to you.

Both DH and I received 2 survey emails yesterday for last weeks cruise. Checked my Voyager club account and points have been added (very quick I thought), but they are listed as being for a cruise departing Funchal on 11th May, our cruise left Southampton on 13th May😁.

That's ok; I got an email congratulating me for achieving Diamond Status which let me know about the $50/50E OBC for every booking... Um, Nope. That changed :0)  So happy their emails are keeping up with their Voyagers Club changes....