Change in Custom Air Procedures

taxare

Fortunately, our next three Regent cruises (later in 2022 and into Fall, 2023) do NOT include an international air segment as point of embarkation.  (Tokyo, return to SEATAC in October, 2023 is another matter.)  

Whenever visiting this Thread--and reading a reference to Barcelona as an embarkation Port, simply reiterate my Cautionary Tale detailed in Posts 16 and 115.  Particularly when British Air is in the mix.  

GOARMY!

After getting forcibly disembarked form Mariner in Perth, Australia in March of 2020 and having Regent air seamlessly get us back to the US at the start of the Covid crisis, I am a fan. Our last trip to Scandinavia, two weeks ago,  LAX-CPH and ARN-LHR-LAX, was also without drama despite all the horror stories out there about the summer of 2022 airline meltdown. Some flights do work as scheduled. Regent air hasn't let me down yet. Just saying.....

5 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

After getting forcibly disembarked form Mariner in Perth, Australia in March of 2020 and having Regent air seamlessly get us back to the US at the start of the Covid crisis, I am a fan. Our last trip to Scandinavia, two weeks ago,  LAX-CPH and ARN-LHR-LAX, was also without drama despite all the horror stories out there about the summer of 2022 airline meltdown. Some flights do work as scheduled. Regent air hasn't let me down yet. Just saying.....

I will also share a positive experience.   Booked the recent July/August Explorer sailing - Barcelona to Rome.  It was a last minute booking, just outside the 30 day window where Regent still provided  air.  The same day I booked, I was assigned American Airlines flights  through  Chicago.  All the flights operated on time, and thankfully there were no delays with luggage for me.  No extended connection times.

I will state that up return, FCO-ORD, I likely would have missed the connection in Chicago on to LA if I didn't have GE.   There was a line as far as the line could see for passengers trying to pass through immigration.  Thankfully I had Global Entry and was able to walk straight  through.  AA personnel in the baggage claim area said that passengers where waiting 2 1/2 hours to reach a CBP agent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update. 

Embarkation: April 11, 2023--Tokyo to Tokyo (Yokohama). We submitted our Custom Air request on July 15, 2022.  We received our Custom Air pending acceptance email today, some 30 business days later.  During the meantime, we found cheaper non-stop RT fares to/from JFK and will take Regent's Air Credit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have read this entire thread and the sticky on air travel.  This is our first experience with Regent Air and we just received our flights.  Can you tell me your thoughts on these flights?  I am not sure if these are now considered what a passenger must just accept, or if the second leg to Barcelona is somewhat egregious…..

We are sailing from Barcelona to Miami on the Splendor on Nov. 19, 2022.  Our outbound flights on Nov. 17 are all Lufthansa, Atlanta to Frankfurt, arriving at 7:40 a.m. on the 18th.  Then, (this is the segment I am questioning) Frankfurt to Barcelona 10:05-12:05.  Not a fan of a second flight after flying all night, and certainly not anything we have ever experienced before when booking our own flights.

For those of you with Regent flight experience, is this just the cost of flying these days?  Would you just roll with these flights or seek alternatives?  In reading all these posts it seems that flying into Barcelona is often mentioned as being problematic.  Thanks for your insight in advance. (I’m not even mentioning the return flight Miami to Atlanta that has us waiting until 4:00 p.m. for a return flight….).

Joanie

34 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Well, I have read this entire thread and the sticky on air travel.  This is our first experience with Regent Air and we just received our flights.  Can you tell me your thoughts on these flights?  I am not sure if these are now considered what a passenger must just accept, or if the second leg to Barcelona is somewhat egregious…..

We are sailing from Barcelona to Miami on the Splendor on Nov. 19, 2022.  Our outbound flights on Nov. 17 are all Lufthansa, Atlanta to Frankfurt, arriving at 7:40 a.m. on the 18th.  Then, (this is the segment I am questioning) Frankfurt to Barcelona 10:05-12:05.  Not a fan of a second flight after flying all night, and certainly not anything we have ever experienced before when booking our own flights.

For those of you with Regent flight experience, is this just the cost of flying these days?  Would you just roll with these flights or seek alternatives?  In reading all these posts it seems that flying into Barcelona is often mentioned as being problematic.  Thanks for your insight in advance. (I’m not even mentioning the return flight Miami to Atlanta that has us waiting until 4:00 p.m. for a return flight….).

Joanie

Frankly, I am not exactly sure what problem you see with these flights. One connection that gets you into Barcelona at a reasonable time. A 2+ hour connection time also sounds doable. I don’t think there are nonstops, so that looks like the best option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BBWC said:

Frankly, I am not exactly sure what problem you see with these flights. One connection that gets you into Barcelona at a reasonable time. A 2+ hour connection time also sounds doable. I don’t think there are nonstops, so that looks like the best option.

Yes, that is my problem…not having a nonstop flight.  We have flown to Barcelona three times previously, booking our own flights, and never had to fly anything but nonstop.  We live near Atlanta, but even if there are no nonstop flights ATL to BCN, we have flown to New York or Newark, can’t remember which, and took the nonstop from there to BCN.  I would much prefer to get the connecting flight over with on the front of the trip rather than adding it to a long overnight flight.

Having never flown Regent Air before I guess I’m wondering if I am expecting too much in these days of air travel.  I agree with you that there is plenty of time between flights.  That is not my issue.  I need to know what people think is an acceptable revision of how far I need to reduce my expectations…..do I need to just sigh and accept whatever they throw out there!

Joanie

Agree with @BBWC.  I think those are pretty good flights in general.

Looking at your options on Google Flights, there are no non-stops out of ATL - as you noted.  Your main options are a connection in New York or Chicago, and then on to Barcelona.  Or, a flight from ATL to a European gateway and then on to Barcelona as you currently have booked.

Before all the recent flight issues, we generally preferred long hauls to a European gateway so that we could maximize sleep (probably more of a consideration for those of us on the West Coast).  The drawback for European connections is the intra-Europe business class concept (economy seat with the middle seat blocked).  And there's the increased risk these days of baggage misconnections at a European airport.

However, for now if it was me, I'd forego optimal sleep time in order to avoid a connection at a European airport.  If you are ticketed on the same carrier, your odds are pretty good (but not guaranteed) that you'd have domestic first class from ATL to JFK/EWR or ORD, then of course business class on to BCN.

Have  you considered researching your preferred flights and paying the deviation?  Might be a little late for that now.

edit:  as I mentioned upthread, we recently returned from our Explorer cruise (BCN-Rome), and used Regent Air, a first for us.  It was a last minute booking and we could have never beat Regent's air credit amount on our own at that point.  Regent booked us LAX-ORD-BCN, then FCO-ORD-LAX on American.  It worked out well.

Edited by RJ2002
  • Like 3

Hello Joanie,

IMHO, I think it is acceptable for a few reasons.

1) It doesn't seem as if there are direct flights from ATL to BCN on 11/17/22.  I could be wrong. 

2) One-way flights are usually more expense that RT flights.  Hence, RSSC may have gone the most cost effective way for them within the context of their contract with Lufthansa.

3) You will be on Lufthansa for both legs hopefully making your FRA to BCN connection easier in the airport.

4) The connection time in FRA is reasonable.

5) Regent will take care of you if any problems arise along the way.

Since our bodies react to long haul travel differently, I'm sure you will do what is best for you.

Stay safe.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Yes, that is my problem…not having a nonstop flight.  We have flown to Barcelona three times previously, booking our own flights, and never had to fly anything but nonstop.  We live near Atlanta, but even if there are no nonstop flights ATL to BCN, we have flown to New York or Newark, can’t remember which, and took the nonstop from there to BCN.  I would much prefer to get the connecting flight over with on the front of the trip rather than adding it to a long overnight flight.

Having never flown Regent Air before I guess I’m wondering if I am expecting too much in these days of air travel.  I agree with you that there is plenty of time between flights.  That is not my issue.  I need to know what people think is an acceptable revision of how far I need to reduce my expectations…..do I need to just sigh and accept whatever they throw out there!

Joanie

Joanie and RJ2002 - I agree with you both.  For our own '23 TA from BCN to MIA, we're using the same approach.  We happen to have "oodles" of American FF miles to get ourselves from Phoenix to BCN in First Class (across the U.S) and in BC from the east coast directly to BCN (you'll be able to use the airline's first class lounge while awaiting the flight change in the U.S.)  Even though Regent will put you on Business Class from Atlanta to Frankfurt, and then (so-called) "Business Class" from Frankfurt to BCN....Europe's version of "Business Class" within the European continent is "laughable" compared to that of Business/FC in the U.S. and across the ocean.  It's a "cattle car" in my judgement/experience.

Do whatever is necessary to put yourself in the completely American version of "Business Class" on one uninterrupted flight (with no intermediate flight changes inside Europe) from the final U.S. departure point... non-stop all the way to Barcelona.  There are several U.S. departure points with direct non-stop service to Barcelona.  Either pay the "deviation fee" as RJ suggests, or take Regent's air credit and get yourselves (one-way) to Barcelona in Business Class.  Regards   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snackdaddy said:

Hello Joanie,

IMHO, I think it is acceptable for a few reasons.

1) It doesn't seem as if there are direct flights from ATL to BCN on 11/17/22.  I could be wrong. 

2) One-way flights are usually more expense that RT flights.  Hence, RSSC may have gone the most cost effective way for them within the context of their contract with Lufthansa.

3) You will be on Lufthansa for both legs hopefully making your FRA to BCN connection easier in the airport.

4) The connection time in FRA is reasonable.

5) Regent will take care of you if any problems arise along the way.

Since our bodies react to long haul travel differently, I'm sure you will do what is best for you.

Stay safe.

They may or may not take care of #5. Oftentimes regent does take care of air (third) party issues. Simple read the Ts& Cs where they disavow coverage for third partie including air they book for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

They may or may not take care of #5. Oftentimes regent does take care of air (third) party issues. Simple read the Ts& Cs where they disavow coverage for third partie including air they book for you. 

Thanks for pointing that out.  

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Joanie

IMHO you have a great set of flights, considering there are no nonstops available from ATL. I also would encourage you to think about your preference for "getting the connection over with" before crossing the Atlantic. If there is a problem with your connection in the U.S. there may be only a few options in terms of later back up flights to get you to Barcelona. Once you get to a major European airline hub such as Frankfurt and your flight is late or your second flight is cancelled there are dozens of flight options that can get you to Barcelona in time for your cruise. Assuming a nonstop to city of embarkation is not available, I always prefer to get to Europe and make my connection there, for that reason.

• Like 5

Georgia--

You advised reading through this thread, so will not belabor the points I covered in earlier entries.  Except:  take a bit of an exception to belittling the European version of Business Class Air--and the Frankfort Airport.  Been there on two previous occasions--and on European Business Seats on numerous occasions.  

Had a similar lay-over time at Frankfort during our most-recent visit last October following a Red-eye Lufthansa flight from SEATAC.  Adequate time for transition of ourselves, and our luggage; and utilizing a comfortable Lounge.  True, vans were used when exiting the plane for transit to Terminal.  However, "facilitators" were available once inside the Terminal providing guidance as to the Customs/Passport check procedure.  

Full meal/beverage service on second Lufthansa "hop".  Excellent food.  Plenty of leg room in Business Class seats.  A relatively-short segment, and Viola:  Barcelona!    Yes, these were Regent-arranged flights.  

BTW:  See you, if not before, at Vancouver, B.C. in a little over a year for the Explorer segment to Tokyo. 

GOARMY! 

• Like 1

We flew from Atlanta to Frankfurt to Copenhagen via Lufthansa.

Frankfurt airport was chaotic!!!!

No organizing anything.

The flight to Copenhagen was packed and it required a packed bus ride out to the plane. Horrible!!! No Business class line for boarding… everyone pushing there way up the stairs to board the plane.

Hopefully we never change planes again in Frankfurt.

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

No organizing anything.

The flight to Copenhagen was packed and it required a packed bus ride out to the plane. Horrible!!! No Business class line for boarding… everyone pushing there way up the stairs to board the plane.

+1!

Generally speaking, European flights are short hops rather than long haul, so the relatively small aircraft are not usually spacious enough for the same lie-flat business class seating as on a larger plane.  For such a short time, I can usually manage!  Returning from ZRH in Club on BA last evening, for example, dh and I had a row to ourselves for the hour and twenty five minutes it took and were served afternoon tea in that short time.  Whilst I'm not saying the luggage issue is completely resolved, we've noticed during the six flights we've taken within Europe in the last few weeks that where there were piles of unclaimed luggage stacked in baggage halls here and there, those are no longer to be seen and I no longer have quite the same anxiety as I did about such things.

We're scheduled to fly to FRA on Friday morning, BA again, and I'll report on what I see/experience there.  It's a familiar airport for us, but not one we've been through since CV struck.  It will be interesting to note any changes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Very helpful information.  At this point, we have contacted our TA to check into our options.  I’ll let you know how things evolve.  

Joanie

We are on the same sailing as you.  We chose to pay the deviation fee and fly from Orlando to Miami and nonstop to Barcelona.  This may be an option for you?

9 hours ago, FloatSomeMore said:

We are on the same sailing as you.  We chose to pay the deviation fee and fly from Orlando to Miami and nonstop to Barcelona.  This may be an option for you?

@FloatSomeMore Gosh, I hope so.  Atlanta to Miami is pretty painless, so I would welcome that resolution!  Fingers crossed that it is not fully booked!

Joanie

20 hours ago, mrstanley said:

No organizing anything.

+2! Exact same experience, and had a roller bag to deal with on all those stairs.