Are Celebrity Just Incompetent or am I Being Stupid

Megabear2

I sail on Celebrity Edge from Civitavecchia 18 June, two of us in a Sunset Balcony.  10 days ago I was asked to go to the app and add my vaccination proof.  This was done successfully and after three days of checking it went green, ticked and accepted. My friend did hers later as she was away at the time of the request.  Our health check at the terminal then appeared stating they would see us at noon on 18th.

Today I have received an email, just me not my friend, asking me to book my required tests as an unvaccinated passenger.  Following the link takes me to a testing company to reserve an appointment.. I've even be allocated my own specific reference code.

At opening time 9.00am on the dot I started a call to Celebrity,  now I am sitting listening to how they are too busy to take my call. 

To me this is gross incompetence but perhaps I'm over reacting and reading the situation wrongly?  Opinions welcome on how I should read all this would be very welcome!

This is my first Celebrity cruise and is by far my most stressful.

• Like 1

Not sure how being in the UK might affect this, but we get at least weekly emails to update our vax status AFTER we have submitted our vaccine cards. I would double-check on Heathy At Sea, because destination, especially in Europe may be an issue. Then I would call. It is likely them.

• Like 1

Hi

Is this for the required Antigen test we all have to do or the test req at the terminal for unvaccinated passengers?

We were on Silhouette 21st April sailing…..

This happened to me and my wife but a few days after boarding,,,,even after like you adding my proof on the app and passing through 3 checks during check in,,,,and having our names checked off.

We got a letter in our cabin addressed to ‘Dear Unvaccinated guests’ and told to report for testing at 07:00 next morning for a $42 fee.

I had to go to receptio at 01:00 with the proof of vaccination on my phone to prove I was vaxxed and boosted.

Btw,,reception was very rude during this time unable to admit any wrong.

Even when shown proof she continued to argue,,in the end I had to tell her to photo the certificate of my vaccinations (I also had a paper copy) and send it to who sent the letter.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

Not sure if this makes any difference but try updating the app. There was a new version issued I think yesterday, version 1.340. See if you still have the green check for vaccinations and if not, upload again. (Possibly your previously-updated info got deleted somehow via the update?)

Update on the situation.  Waited 55 minutes for agent who was in Philippines.  After another 55 minutes discussion he admitted he had no idea why I had been sent this as records showed "Upto Date". I was told to ignore it but refused, particularly in light of JeanieC's experience.  I insisted on being able to email him both this correspondence and a previous one from Monday which states testing requirements are on 17th or 18th June - assumedly the 1 day testing regime for Italy which the email today states should be within 2 days before sailing.

Upon receipt of these the agent stated it was totally confusing and wrong from what he could see on the system I had 3 vaccinations accepted - the most the UK currently allow those under 75.

He is now going to discuss the issue "up the ladder" and will email me in the next 48 hours.  He admitted that all the correspondence I have been receiving appears wrong in regard to Italy testing as well and is checking that too. 

I am now playing the waiting game ...

People get strange emails all the time.  Premium beverage holders get sent emails selling premium beverage packages,  they are auto-generated and can be ignored.  That’s what’s happening here,  auto-generated and not relevant and can be ignored.  It’s hard advice to follow but try not to stress over it.

20 minutes ago, gordylad said:

Glad to hear Celebrity hasn't lost its magic touch............

LOL. The port hand never knows what the starboard hand is doing at this company most of the time.  🖐️ 

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Ignore it and move on. 

Yes. I got one of those before our cruise, I checked our status in the app and it said we were good.  I said to my wife that it looks like the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing, and ignored it.

We had similar website issues on a previous cruise. DW’s updated ok and mine never seemed to take.  Was just persistent until I was able to have it recognize my status (in fact ultimately it was something that I hadn’t done correctly on my end that was not intuitive)

Celebrity (and for that matter most cruise websites and apps ) suck and best advise is to ignore, keep at it and move on

I am going on my first cruise with Celebrity on 3rd June and we have already said never again due to their sheer incompetence.

They ignore emails and despite hours on the phone I have never been able to speak to anyone.  They will reply on twitter but give conflicting and confusing advice and seem prepared to lie about regulations.  E.G. saying it is an italian government requirement when it is not.

If it wasnt for the trip being something I always wanted to do I would have cancelled by now.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

So can you not just book the test but when you get there simply show your documentation and so on from there?

I'm told if I accept their test I'm confirming I haven't had a booster.  The telephone adviser confirmed if I do this I will be marked unvaccinated on my on board account and will have to take 4 tests at $55 each for the ports.

Looking at what happened to JeanieC I've no intention of going down that route to have people being rude - not my assumption the experience of them - or causing distress.  I suffer from mental health problems which are stress related and this cruise is meant to be relaxing. To be frank it's been a nightmare.  I shall never complain about P&O and Cunard again!

They are highly incompetent. And the old story of on board everything is good vs main office no longer holds true. Many onboard issues on our recent cruise. 

We received same email today. We are up to date vaccinated and already had it validated on their app. I am ignoring it as this has also happened with the last three Celebrity cruises.  
You would think they would think before sending out erroneous emails. 

• Like 1

Megabear2, email the top people, in my experience it works. my thoughts are , with all this working from home etc is a skiver's delight and it is not working with companies in the UK. Celebrity great to cruise with but rubbish to sort anything out, hope you can work it out.

• Like 1

My suggestion is when you finally get through to someone on the phone at Celebrity, ask to speak to a supervisor if it's clear that the person who answered the  phone can't help you.  I'd rather wait for a supervisor than to have to try to call back and wait forever again.  If the supervisor can't help, take it  up the ladder.  It's frustrating and time-consuming but I think we are all dealing with these service issues and it's not just the cruise lines.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Celebrity's phone system is the worst.  I have waited over 2 1/2 hours and what annoyed me was that the representative was clueless.  Their website is a hot mess as well.  They have a live chat option but as soon as you click on it and start typing it disappears.  Princess has all these lines beat.  Their website and Live Chat is more efficient.  Same long wait, however, unless you call at 9:00 am on the dot EST.

Edited by Ereggae
  • Like 1

I totally agree with you.  It’s almost as if Celebrity could hardly care any less.  Answers are never consistent.  Phone waiting time is outrageous.  Major errors in booking and flights.  I am starting to ask myself if this cruise and Celebrity are worth it.  I am not new to cruising and have sailed with Celebrity before as well as 6 others lines  and 30+ cruises so I have some experience with cruising.  I am not just a complainer.  What has happened to Celebrity’s attitude towards it cruisers. Definitely not the “old Celebrity”