Cunard second seating.

Lanky Lad

I don't think it has, those of us with future bookings have second sitting showing at 8.30.

I thought that the current arrangement was only possible because of lower numbers on board but looks like I was wrong.

Which sitting are you on LL ? Is it working well ?

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already. When I was chatting to Yoyo she mentioned that there are no plans to go back to a fixed time for second sitting. 

As much as I respect Yoyo , she does have an 'over obsession with Open Dining arrangements' ...She is personally in favour of open dining, however, that is her own opinion  ...On my last Cunard cruise some months ago , she told me Cunard are way behind other cruise lines . Whilst that might be her own personal opinion,  I believe Cunard are now having 'Second Thoughts'  of implementing  Open Dining ( ie no fixed Table and Wait staff)  in the Britannia restaurant.  They are now looking at providing the guest the opportunity to book Either Or .  This has been confirmed for Q.Anne and will no doubt be consitant across the fleet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

How disappointing! We booked second seating BECAUSE it would allow flexibility. We board in a week. Too bad for us!

Then you just turn up when you are ready ... and accept to stand in line for a few minutes ..or accept a pager  until they allocate a table ...No different to the Breakfast or Lunch procedure.  ......I'm so intrigued ...Don't you like the evening interaction with a dedicated waiter during the entire cruise    ......I can't be doing every evening having to explain my preferences ! ...No bread, no black pepper mill ....the preference of extra steamed veg etc etc.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Then you just turn up when you are ready ... and accept to stand in line for a few minutes ..or accept a pager  until they allocate a table ...No different to the Breakfast or Lunch procedure.  ......I'm so intrigued ...Don't you like the evening interaction with a dedicated waiter during the entire cruise    ......I can't be doing every evening having to explain my preferences ! ...No bread, no black pepper mill ....the preference of extra steamed veg etc etc.  

No, we cannot turn up when we want to. 8:30 is a bit late, and 6 is too early. We don’t cruise to develop relationships with the waiters, and we’re not very picky. But it sounds as if you are more interested in saying why we should have a different preference rather than really asking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Castro and Millie said:

Yes it has HH, from day one to date. I don’t think there are any plans to change it certainly while we are on board.

Thank you, I hope you're enjoying your cruise.

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

No, we cannot turn up when we want to. 8:30 is a bit late, and 6 is too early. We don’t cruise to develop relationships with the waiters, and we’re not very picky. But it sounds as if you are more interested in saying why we should have a different preference rather than really asking.

Sorry to interject.

There are ways to solve the requirement to dine ad hoc on Cunard when fixed times are in place. Book Club or above, Kings Court or Lido Alternative, Kings Court or Lido Buffet, Verandah, The Pub and Room Service.

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry to interject.

There are ways to solve the requirement to dine ad hoc on Cunard when fixed times are in place. Book Club or above, Kings Court or Lido Alternative, Kings Court or Lido Buffet, Verandah, The Pub and Room Service.

Nothing to be sorry for, as I appreciate your helpful input. When we were doing our roundtrip TA, we never had the opportunity, after the first day, to dine in the pub as the seats were constantly filled. Other options are not available most nights because of costs. It will be a shame if we end up at a buffet or sitting in our room for dinner. We’ll just deal with the time we’re required to deal with. But thank you.

• Like 1

It just goes to show that it depends who you talk to when you are looking for information. Last week I was informed by an agent in the Cunard UK office that although they are still sticking with traditional first and second sittings, if you are late seating you can arrive at any time between 7.45 and 8.30. I think I’ll take the word of Castro and Millie, nothing like getting it right from someone who actually knows. 

37 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Nothing to be sorry for, as I appreciate your helpful input. When we were doing our roundtrip TA, we never had the opportunity, after the first day, to dine in the pub as the seats were constantly filled. Other options are not available most nights because of costs. It will be a shame if we end up at a buffet or sitting in our room for dinner. We’ll just deal with the time we’re required to deal with. But thank you.

Could be a option.

Speak with your booker, as they may be an option to upgrade to Club.  The price will be based on the actual date of the cruise booked, not the current price.  An Early Saver fare could be of interest as any Club stateroom allocated by Cunard will not disappoint.  Then there is the potential for an upgrade from Club to PG.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hello...Unfortunately we cannot fully trust anything Cunard Line representatives report regarding dining arrangements.  I only know I am cancelling my 2023 World Cruise on QM2 if the traditional second sitting dining we are all used to is not in place by final payment date in August.

Deck Chair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Sorry to interject.

But not everyone can afford to book Club and enjoy eating in MDR so why should they have to pay extra to eat in Verandah, Kings/Lido alternative or spend the whole cruise eating in Golden Lion or having room service.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But not everyone can afford to book Club and enjoy eating in MDR so why should they have to pay extra to eat in Verandah, Kings/Lido alternative or spend the whole cruise eating in Golden Lion or having room service.

It not "they should" but one has many  options to dine at a different time every night, with different waiters and on different tables if one finds fixed seating undesirable.

5 minutes ago, carlmm said:

It not "they should" but one has many  options to dine at a different time every night, with different waiters and on different tables if one finds fixed seating undesirable.

So where are all the options for flexible eating times for those in Britannia MDR unless like I said they pay extra every night or consigned to buffet, Golden Lion or room service.

• Like 3

I have enjoyed flexible dining on may cruise ships, some even rather large (at least passenger size), and in my experience, one can dine at the same time each evening AND request to be seated at the same table (with same staff), as long as one arrives at the same time each evening.

There are pluses to more flexible dining -- even on Cunard! 

For one, the bars and lounges will not be as packed, for one thing, with everyone trying to have a cocktail at the same time everyone else at the same seating is trying to do the same thing. There were many nights I was without a seat in the Chart Room before the seat dinner.

Additionally, a whole dining room of people are not moving about en masse. Readers must remember a time after dinner, trying to get an elevator, while a horde of people waited to jump onboard, sometimes causing long waits.

And further, there are those who cruise and enjoy eating when they want and with whom they want, especially when meeting new people as they sail.

Cunard is offering set seating. They will offer to seat you during the more flexible time if one arrives at the same time each evening and even seat one at the same (or adjacent table). 

• Like 4

I and others have mentioned this before on another posting. The solution is simple. Holland America, and perhaps other lines, offer open seating on the lower level of the restaurant and fixed seating on the upper level for each of the two sittings. 

On a HAL cruise a few years ago I was amused by how many people were in the queue for the open seating long before the doors opened at 5:30 or 5:45.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

I have enjoyed flexible dining on may cruise ships, some even rather large (at least passenger size), and in my experience, one can dine at the same time each evening AND request to be seated at the same table (with same staff), as long as one arrives at the same time each evening.

There are pluses to more flexible dining -- even on Cunard! 

For one, the bars and lounges will not be as packed, for one thing, with everyone trying to have a cocktail at the same time everyone else at the same seating is trying to do the same thing. There were many nights I was without a seat in the Chart Room before the seat dinner.

Additionally, a whole dining room of people are not moving about en masse. Readers must remember a time after dinner, trying to get an elevator, while a horde of people waited to jump onboard, sometimes causing long waits.

And further, there are those who cruise and enjoy eating when they want and with whom they want, especially when meeting new people as they sail.

Cunard is offering set seating. They will offer to seat you during the more flexible time if one arrives at the same time each evening and even seat one at the same (or adjacent table). 

So one gets the same fixed assigned table mates, too?

Of course not.

If one goes the way you describe: Where is the coverted flexiblility? What is the difference to have a fixed time right away, without having to go through the described hassel?

Edited by carlmm