Covid Testing at FCO WARNING!!!

klfhngr

We just got off on Monday from our 10 day cruise, this is a warning if you're going to take test at airport, I just posted this in Roll Call to answer someone's question:

They asked about taking the test at the airport.

My response: DON'T DO IT THERE! The line was from one end of the airport to the other! We almost missed our flight! Expect an hour and a half if you do it there! Also, the stupid test from X are crap, ours failed, that's why we had to do it at the airport.

My suggestion to EVERYONE!!!! Find a pharmacy NOW at your last port, if it's 24 hours before flight, and make an appointment and take there! I found one at our last stop, but they were fully booked. If they had an opening, we would've taken it there and life would've been so much better and less stressful!

Hope this helps!

ADDITIONAL COMMENT FOR X: If they really cared about their customers, they would give you the test package the day before the cruise so that you could test on the ship. Handing it to you on the way out the back door is a slap in the face!!!!!

P.S. We had a flight from Rome to England then England to Los Angeles. I called British Air and asked where we needed to test. We were told either in Rome or England. We planned on taking in Rome, but decided to check in being that we had a long layover at Heathrow. At check in (FCO), we were told that we could NOT check in w/o test! That's when I explained what I noted above. They said NO, you cannot board until you submit results! 

So be careful on what you're told!

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

P.S. We had a flight from Rome to England then England to Los Angeles. I called British Air and asked where we needed to test. We were told either in Rome or England. We planned on taking in Rome, but decided to check in being that we had a long layover at Heathrow. At check in (FCO), we were told that we could NOT check in w/o test! That's when I explained what I noted above. They said NO, you cannot board until you submit results!

Did you ask about short-checking the bags to LHR only and not through to your final destination, so you could re-check at LHR for the US destination?

I imagine that you cannot check-in for a flight to the USA without the test right now, but they are also usually unwilling to just check-in for the first leg only, hence the problem you found...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Did you ask about short-checking the bags to LHR only and not through to your final destination, so you could re-check at LHR for the US destination?

I imagine that you cannot check-in for a flight to the USA without the test right now, but they are also usually unwilling to just check-in for the first leg only, hence the problem you found...

Sure did, they said NO! BA staff was not helpful.

Just to add: I told them that the Covid testing line was long. They said I had until 12:15 to check in. In the Covid line, after about 45 minutes, I mentioned to one of the workers that we were going to miss our flight. They took us straight to the front! Waited 15 minutes and RAN to check in. I was there at 12:13. My mom and step dad were checking in, we were with another rep. Our rep said too late, cannot board, while my mom is checking in! I told the rep, you told me 1215, it's still not 1215! She insisted on not letting us on! Then another rep came over, I believe he was in charge. They went back and forth, while my mom is getting her boarding pass! He said to let us on! She kept arguing with him, but she finally did it! Last time with BA for us!

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of our tests purchased on the Reflection and picked up in the luggage area also was invalid so DH had to test in Rome FCO but luckily we were there the day before our flight home.  It took about two hours. We already know he was negative but the proctor on line said the rules were your card had to self seal.  We didn't have a back up test with us.  My advice is to take your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

Sorry to hear that! It would've been so much easier to take one at a pharmacy. We did that for PRE boarding in Rome, it was so easy and convenient!

So I'm on a roundtrip cruise from Rome back to Rome in late September.  So I'm not sure what my options are for testing.  It seems that testing at FCO might be our only option?

If you're referring to POST cruise, you have 3 options:

1. Purchase a kit from X and hope it works

2. Test at FCO, but get there 2+ hours early

3. IF your last cruise day is in port, take the test at a pharmacy there.

I wish I knew better at the time, but I'd take option 3!

Pre Cruise:

Find a local pharmacy the day before cruise. That's what we did and it was EASY PEAZY! MANY pharmacies in Roma!

6 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

We plan on using eMed.  I've heard many bad stories posted about huge delays for testing at the airports.

Could you explain how eMed works?  Can you do it anywhere?

Just now, zitsky said:

Could you explain how eMed works?  Can you do it anywhere?

First, you need to bring the kits with you from the USA.  One backup would be good.

Second, you need to set up accounts at eMed and Navica.

Third, purchase the surf and STREAM package on the ship.  Signon and go.  If the Internet drops during the test prosses eMed will pick it up from the last point.  If they have problems coming back after the first 15 minutes, logon again and they will restart the timer.  It may not always be smooth, but you can restart without having to retest. 

I thought I remember FCO has free internet, that maybe a more reliable connection.  You get you results immediately and you electronic confirmation via email within 30 minutes

• Thanks 1

We used eMed proctored tests on Edge the day before disembarkation. FCO was hectic enough a few weeks ago without adding the additional time and stress to test there. 

Avoid testing there at all costs! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

First, you need to bring the kits with you from the USA.  One backup would be good.

Second, you need to set up accounts at eMed and Navica.

Third, purchase the surf and STREAM package on the ship.  Signon and go.  If the Internet drops during the test prosses eMed will pick it up from the last point.  If they have problems coming back after the first 15 minutes, logon again and they will restart the timer.  It may not always be smooth, but you can restart without having to retest. 

I thought I remember FCO has free internet, that maybe a more reliable connection.  You get you results immediately and you electronic confirmation via email within 30 minutes

Thanks.  Is it anything like the government tests?  Stick a qtip up your nose?  Stick in liquid?

Does eMed walk you through the process?

Just now, zitsky said:

Thanks.  Is it anything like the government tests?  Stick a qtip up your nose?  Stick in liquid?

Does eMed walk you through the process?

Don't open the box until they tell you.  I've never done the gov't tests, but it's a q tip swab and liquid in a card.  They really do lead you thru the test, one step at a time,

Also you will need your licences to verify your identity.

I believe there is a You Tube video that presents to whole process.

https://store.emed.com/s/category/covid19-athome-test-with-verified-lab-report-emed/0ZG8c000000LZXk?c__results_layout_state={}

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

We plan on using eMed.  I've heard many bad stories posted about huge delays for testing at the airports.

These are the ones that failed us, same brand, same app, same everything. 

36 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Don't open the box until they tell you.  I've never done the gov't tests, but it's a q tip swab and liquid in a card.  They really do lead you thru the test, one step at a time,

Also you will need your licences to verify your identity.

I believe there is a You Tube video that presents to whole process.

https://store.emed.com/s/category/covid19-athome-test-with-verified-lab-report-emed/0ZG8c000000LZXk?c__results_layout_state={}

Pretty straight forward process, IF it works. If it fails on you, you better have plenty of time to wait in the testing line.

4 hours ago, klfhngr said:

We just got off on Monday from our 10 day cruise, this is a warning if you're going to take test at airport, I just posted this in Roll Call to answer someone's question:

They asked about taking the test at the airport.

My response: DON'T DO IT THERE! The line was from one end of the airport to the other! We almost missed our flight! Expect an hour and a half if you do it there! Also, the stupid test from X are crap, ours failed, that's why we had to do it at the airport.

My suggestion to EVERYONE!!!! Find a pharmacy NOW at your last port, if it's 24 hours before flight, and make an appointment and take there! I found one at our last stop, but they were fully booked. If they had an opening, we would've taken it there and life would've been so much better and less stressful!

Hope this helps!

ADDITIONAL COMMENT FOR X: If they really cared about their customers, they would give you the test package the day before the cruise so that you could test on the ship. Handing it to you on the way out the back door is a slap in the face!!!!!

So be careful on what you're told!

We purchased kits through the link on Celebrity, two for our pre cruise and since they said we could use it on airlines returning to the states we are going to use the extra kits we bought in England to get home in August.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

We purchased kits through the link on Celebrity, two for our pre cruise and since they said we could use it on airlines returning to the states we are going to use the extra kits we bought in England to get home in August.

I'd get one extra, just in case one fails.

• Like 2

Most important. Self test yourself before going to airport to find out if possibly positive. Helps prevent meltdowns when already stressed at airport and gives you time to collect your thoughts and plan 

Edited by donna1009
  • Like 3

So on this topic...

Any advice on what to do if the test after disembarking is positive? I'm honestly really worried about being trapped for weeks since most likely we would be right at the start and won't have a negative test for a long time.

How about not doing a cruise period.

Not participating in this total scam. All cruises cancelled.

Not paying after tax $ for this "experience".

Doing a driving trip and loving it right now.

Really, break out of the cruise fixation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, klfhngr said:

If you're referring to POST cruise, you have 3 options:

1. Purchase a kit from X and hope it works

2. Test at FCO, but get there 2+ hours early

3. IF your last cruise day is in port, take the test at a pharmacy there.

I wish I knew better at the time, but I'd take option 3!

Pre Cruise:

Find a local pharmacy the day before cruise. That's what we did and it was EASY PEAZY! MANY pharmacies in Roma!

Actually a 4th choice.  Bring a test from home and using wifi and telehealth test on board.  www.covid.gov/tests will Mail you 8 tests in the US for FREE.  In Canada most pharmacies have for free pickup.  

Works for both pre and post cruise.  Telehealth visits only cost about $20-30

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLConsultant said:

klfhngr - how full was Reflection?  Just 5 or 6 cases of COVID total?

not sure, but it wasn't packed. Yes, 5 or 6 total. Captain did a great job of letting us know each day.