Covid Testing at FCO WARNING!!!

klfhngr

35 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Actually a 4th choice.  Bring a test from home and using wifi and telehealth test on board.  www.covid.gov/tests will Mail you 8 tests in the US for FREE.  In Canada most pharmacies have for free pickup.  

Works for both pre and post cruise.  Telehealth visits only cost about $20-30

That would also be an option if X gave you the kit before you left the ship. That to me would be the best solution, however they would then have to deal with positive tests and/or the test failing, such was our case.

43 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

How about not doing a cruise period.

Not participating in this total scam. All cruises cancelled.

Not paying after tax $ for this "experience".

Doing a driving trip and loving it right now.

Really, break out of the cruise fixation.

If that's what you want to do, then that's your choice. Some want cruises, others want road trips, others want to chill at home. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

What a mess at FCO Airport!   I recently tested at BCN after getting off a TA cruise.  I had an appointment I had made ahead of time, and I was at the testing center for less than 30 minutes start to finish, including receiving the negative result.  Those with no appointments waited in a huge line where a friend of mine waited 2 hours and nearly missed her flight.  Just an FYI for anyone flying home from BCN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

That would also be an option if X gave you the kit before you left the ship. That to me would be the best solution, however they would then have to deal with positive tests and/or the test failing, such was our case.

Bingo!  Once you are off the ship they can wash their hands of whatever happens to you.  Happened to us when we were debarking Eclipse to transfer to Serenade the same day.  They wouldn't test us the night before.  Luckily we had our own emed sets to take our tests the day before we disembarked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, klfhngr said:

These are the ones that failed us, same brand, same app, same everything. 

Could you say a little more about this maybe???  If it failed then what did you do and how did you get tested?

Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

One of our tests purchased on the Reflection and picked up in the luggage area also was invalid so DH had to test in Rome FCO but luckily we were there the day before our flight home.  It took about two hours. We already know he was negative but the proctor on line said the rules were your card had to self seal.  We didn't have a back up test with us.  My advice is to take your own.

This is not the first time that I have read on cruise critic that the tests that are handed out from X were invalid.  Why?  Did X reimburse you? 

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Could you say a little more about this maybe???  If it failed then what did you do and how did you get tested?

Thanks.

We attempted to take the online tests at FCO, had rep on phone and followed all the steps. At the end, the tests were inconclusive, meaning that you were neither negative or positive, so you had to take another test to prove negativity. That's when we had no choice but to get in line at FCO and take the Covid test.

5 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

Nothing to do with 24 hours before flights to USA @klfhngr

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.

Exactly, not 24 hours. Plus it’s the day on/before the originating flight of the ticket, even if the initial connection is not in the USA

26 minutes ago, sherylc said:

If we do end up doing test day of travel, do we then have to upload it to the airline’s website or just show it to the agent at the check in window? 

At United at FCO before you could get in line to check in bags, etc, they first had people to sort and direct passengers to their proper check-in line. Since we had already uploaded all our passport and COVID test results to the United App, our boarding passes on our phone had a notation “travel ready”. This allowed us to go ahead and proceed to the counter and check our bags, etc. Those who didn’t have their info uploaded had to wait in line to have all their documentation examined before they could proceed to check in. Not sure how other airlines handled it, but that was the way United did. 

• Like 2

Hi all,

So...I'm in Vancouver waiting to cruise tomorrow and myself and DH self tested with the Binax tests yesterday from our hotel room. 

We purchased the tests from the Celebrity cruise website.  

The bad news.....my first  test came back back inconclusive so I had to redo it.   Thank goodness we had several extra tests with us.  (Thank you Cruise Critic!)

The good news...my second test was negative!

The extra good news... my DH' was also negative!

The double extra good news>... Emed contacted me  within 12 hours to get my address so they can send me a free test kit because I got an initial inconclusive result.   I was surprised and impressed with the customer service.

So happy no barriers for boarding tomorrow.   Yay!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ATLConsultant said:

klfhngr - how full was Reflection?  Just 5 or 6 cases of COVID total?

I was on this cruise. There were 1700 passengers onboard. 

The captain announced there were 3 confirmed cases of covid onboard. 

However all four members of our party have since tested positive after disembarking Reflection. Thankfully we all have mild symptoms but it does suggest there were considerably more cases onboard that the ship was unaware of. 

2 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

Exactly, not 24 hours. Plus it’s the day on/before the originating flight of the ticket, even if the initial connection is not in the USA

We have flights to the US in 8 weeks time for a land vacation. Is there any chance that the testing requirements there will be scrapped anytime soon as they are in most of Europe? 

12 hours ago, Doubt It said:

How about not doing a cruise period.

Not participating in this total scam. All cruises cancelled.

Not paying after tax $ for this "experience".

Doing a driving trip and loving it right now.

Really, break out of the cruise fixation.

Enjoy the ride

4 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

We have flights to the US in 8 weeks time for a land vacation. Is there any chance that the testing requirements there will be scrapped anytime soon as they are in most of Europe? 

Yes, absolutely!

• Like 1

I was on this cruise. There were 1700 passengers onboard. 

The captain announced there were 3 confirmed cases of covid onboard. 

However all four members of our party have since tested positive after disembarking Reflection. Thankfully we all have mild symptoms but it does suggest there were considerably more cases onboard that the ship was unaware of. 

An almost identical situation on the Summit last week.  Many people testing negative after they arrive home.

15 hours ago, steveru621 said:

We plan on using eMed.  I've heard many bad stories posted about huge delays for testing at the airports.

Absolutely the best way.  We brought 6 with us on our recent TA.  Used 2 before we boarded and 2 more in London before our flight back home.  They are SO easy to use.  Less stress, no lines, no worries.

• Like 2

American here.  If you are asking whether the U.S. is likely to scrap the requirement of a negative test before someone flies into the country -- there's no political will that I've seen to do so.  It's too easy for the CDC to keep that requirement.   (I'm not defending this, just giving my own personal prediction.) 

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Absolutely the best way.  We brought 6 with us on our recent TA.  Used 2 before we boarded and 2 more in London before our flight back home.  They are SO easy to use.  Less stress, no lines, no worries.

Thanks.  So easy to use?  How easy to use?  How do they work?

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  So easy to use?  How easy to use?  How do they work?

If you are in the U.S. (can't tell from my phone), order some of the free government tests and practice. Then watch the YouTube videos of others taking the tests. That'll give you a good idea.

• Like 1