Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

Since I asked the question about age, here's our info.

As D+ we get 5 "free" drinks.  A normal day for me is 

1 cafe mocha

OJ (regular)

Tap Water or Lemonade with lunch (love good Iced tea, but RCI's sucks)

1 drink in afternoon (not everyday)

1-2 drinks in DL/CL before dinner (late seating)

1 glass of wine with dinner and tap water

1 drink in the evening usually in Schooner Bar.

Tap water whenever I'm thirsty-or drink one of our six free bottles in our cabin

5 of those are free and DH doesn't drink more than one alcohol drink a day so I can use his coupons if I decide to. 

Total cost-$0

Even before we made D, I usually had 2-3 paid drinks a day at most on vacation.  

DH is 64 and takes cholesterol meds and bp med and is type II diabetic (well controlled) and he's never been a drinker.

I'm 62 and only take a low dose beta blocker for bp.  Even before we made D, we never spent more than $200 for all drinks on a week long cruise.  We started cruising in our 40's and drinking was never our focus so we never spent much.  I did most of my partying in HS.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

So what I’ve learned in this thread, is that for some people, the DBP is worth it through some combination of cost and convenience, and for others, it is not.

Glad we solved this issue!

The OP originally posted that the cost was outrageous and they weren't going to pay it.  So, it became a conversation about value.  You didn't have to read it.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BND said:

The OP originally posted that the cost was outrageous and they weren't going to pay it.  So, it became a conversation about value.  You didn't have to read it.

Oh I’ve been an active participant in this thread, it’s just funny how 13 pages later it’s basically just “Welp, this totally subjective statement is in fact subjective”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Yup! I buy a bottle of rum on the ship get the unlimited soda package. No need to buy for two. Price ends up low compared to the drink package you need to purchase for all adults in the state room. Run out. Just buy another bottle of alcohol. 

I no longer see the option to pre-purchase liquor on the cruise planner.    Do you have to wait until you are onboard and order thru room service?

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I no longer see the option to pre-purchase liquor on the cruise planner. 

In my planner I click on my initials in the top right hand corner, select Gifts, and then Royal Drinks and a range of options appear.

It is an interesting idea of getting drinks on board rather than a PBP though??? Prices for a 375ml bottle plus mixers range form US$44 for Vodka and 4 cans of Sprite to US$49 For Gin and 4 cans of tonic, Rum is US$46, no mention of any Gratuity but assume it wouldn’t apply anyway, you can also buy bottles of wine plus the 2 you can bring onboard, only downside is not much variety and having to go back to your room to fill up, not sure they would be to happy you taking it to a bar or restaurant unless your sneaky! Think it’s for consumption in your Stateroom only.

Most wouldn’t need a package everyday either; 375ml of liquor is quite a bit! Maybe last up to 2 days which reduces the cost again.

Saying all that im not sure I would be doing this, but each to their own!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

In my planner I click on my initials in the top right hand corner, select Gifts, and then Royal Drinks and a range of options appear.

It is an interesting idea of getting drinks on board rather than a PBP though??? Prices for a 375ml bottle plus mixers range form US$44 for Vodka and 4 cans of Sprite to US$49 For Gin and 4 cans of tonic, Rum is US$46, no mention of any Gratuity but assume it wouldn’t apply anyway, you can also buy bottles of wine plus the 2 you can bring onboard, only downside is not much variety and having to go back to your room to fill up, not sure they would be to happy you taking it to a bar or restaurant unless your sneaky! Think it’s for consumption in your Stateroom only.

Most wouldn’t need a package everyday either; 375ml of liquor is quite a bit! Maybe last up to 2 days which reduces the cost again.

You carry the bottle as you would in any ice bucket with ice.

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

In the past, RCCL bartenders gave very generous pours which were probably close to ordering a double.  It seems now they are more closely measuring pours.

In my experience (13 cruises since the restart), it still seems that the inexperienced bartenders are the ones doing more closely measured pours, while experienced bartenders may have the jigger in their hand while they're pouring the liquor, they typically overflow the jigger and continue to pour liquor into the cup as they're pulling the dumped jigger away from the cup, resulting in a very heavy pour even though to the casual observer, they're "measuring" the liquor.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Doesn't show on any of my future cruises.

I was discussing cruise expenses with my son yesterday (we're going on an Allure B2B in January after he finishes his Army contract).  He's paying for all the expenses for him and his girlfriend, so we were going over all kinds of different line items.  One of those line items was alcohol.

For some context, my son is 22yo and in the Army, and his GF is 21yo and in the Marines.  As one can imagine, they are no strangers to alcohol consumption in a social setting.  

We did the math, including taking into account that we will have three port days on each cruise (which are not Coco Cay or Labadee).  He came to the conclusion that the DBP doesn't make sense for them, based on what they will be drinking and when/where they will be drinking it.  It would POSSIBLY make sense for him on the first week (we'll have friends with us the first week who WILL have the DBP), but when you add in getting the Refreshment Package for his GF (since they'll be in the same room), that puts it way over the point where it makes financial sense.  

If a young adult can figure it out, you'd think that grown adults could figure it out!  It works for some, it doesn't work for others.  It's not rocket science, folks.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

In my experience (13 cruises since the restart), it still seems that the inexperienced bartenders are the ones doing more closely measured pours, while experienced bartenders may have the jigger in their hand while they're pouring the liquor, they typically overflow the jigger and continue to pour liquor into the cup as they're pulling the dumped jigger away from the cup, resulting in a very heavy pour even though to the casual observer, they're "measuring" the liquor.  

That's an interesting observation and makes a lot of sense.  I know some bartenders that do that same thing and end up with something just over a 2oz pour.  I friend of mine is a former bartender and he can pour and very prices measurement out of any bottle.  He told me a trick he was taught to make customers believe the drink is stronger than it really is.  They put the straw in the glass before they pour, and then pour a bit down the straw.  For people who drink through the straw, they get a very strong initial sip and think they got something "extra".  

BTW, I saw that you mentioned your son and his GF.   What great young people they are to choose to serve our country!  🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

He came to the conclusion that the DBP doesn't make sense for them, based on what they will be drinking and when/where they will be drinking it

This is my thought for my upcoming Greek Isles cruise. If I were going to stay on the boat everyday, $63 might be worth it but I figure with 5 port days, I won't have time to drink 5 drinks everyday and not feel like hell the next day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rudeney said:

That's an interesting observation and makes a lot of sense.  I know some bartenders that do that same thing and end up with something just over a 2oz pour.  I friend of mine is a former bartender and he can pour and very prices measurement out of any bottle.  He told me a trick he was taught to make customers believe the drink is stronger than it really is.  They put the straw in the glass before they pour, and then pour a bit down the straw.  For people who drink through the straw, they get a very strong initial sip and think they got something "extra".  

BTW, I saw that you mentioned your son and his GF.   What great young people they are to choose to serve our country!  🙂

Agree. As a Former Bar Manager counted ever Ounce of Liquor and was always within .001 of what we sold to Stock on hand... Drinking in Military, watched Hundreds throw their Careers away for DUI's or under Age Drinking. SGT that worked for me had 17+ yrs in, got DUI and lost his Retirement...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. As a Former Bar Manager counted ever Ounce of Liquor and was always within .001 of what we sold to Stock on hand... Drinking in Military, watched Hundreds throw their Careers away for DUI's or under Age Drinking. SGT that worked for me had 17+ yrs in, got DUI and lost his Retirement...

DUI is something I want nothing to do with.  My problem is that I have an enormous tolerance for alcohol.  I'm a big guy with a slow metabolism, plus I spent many years wining and dining customers (lawyers, who drink like crazy).  I usually have one or two drinks, four or five nights a week.  I never get drunk or even buzzed and never have  a hangover.  Because of this, I simply cannot tell if my BAC is over the limit or not.  So on the very rare occasion when I have drinks out, if I have more than two, I do not drive.  Period.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rudeney said:

DUI is something I want nothing to do with.  My problem is that I have an enormous tolerance for alcohol.  I'm a big guy with a slow metabolism, plus I spent many years wining and dining customers (lawyers, who drink like crazy).  I usually have one or two drinks, four or five nights a week.  I never get drunk or even buzzed and never have  a hangover.  Because of this, I simply cannot tell if my BAC is over the limit or not.  So on the very rare occasion when I have drinks out, if I have more than two, I do not drive.  Period.  

No Problem, No Judgement. Joining ARMY at 16 didn't Drink or Smoke Dope. Interesting not sure if I would have if gone a different path and would have done either if hadn't joined. DUI, Drug Test or loose my Civilian Driver's Licence wouldn't have gone good with my Security Clearance or Career...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mattb31 said:

I'm on Oasis now, figured I'd track for the first time since this ridiculous thread started the day before we left. Gonna assume water bottles are $3 and sodas are $3. I didn't differentiate between filling my soda cup and getting a can

Day 1:

3 Coke Zero

4 Water Bottles

Bud Light

1 Rum and Diet

1 Pinot Noir

$51.50

Day 2:

Iced Chai Latte

2 Coke Zero

8 Water Bottles

7 Rum and Coke Zero

Lava Flow

Spike Peach Tea from Portside

Margherita 

$137.50

Day 3:

L Espresso

2 Coke Zero

3 Water Bottles

Miami Vice

Miller Light

Sake

$53

Day 4 (CocoCay):

L Espresso

5 Water Bottles

2 Rum and Diet

Pina Colada

2 Pinot Noir

Old Fashioned

$91.50

Day 5 (In Progress):

L Espresso

Blue Hawaiian

2 Coke Zero

4 Water Bottles

$35.50

Was slightly buzzed by the pool on the second day, but never once felt drunk or sick or whatever.

I paid $60.99 a day pre cruise which is $426.93 before gratuities. Had I bought these drinks without the package I'd be up to $369 with 2.5 days to go.

Easy value for me. Only got off the ship at Cococay.

Water is free. (Better) Pinot and Coke Zero can be brought on the ship. I'd give all of those things a value of $25. Then you hide the gratuities cost. You're looking at $500. Day 2 you got some good use out of it, and barely got a buzz. My first thought wouldn't be easy value.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

No Problem, No Judgement. Joining ARMY at 16 didn't Drink or Smoke Dope. Interesting not sure if I would have if gone a different path and would have done either if hadn't joined. DUI, Drug Test or loose my Civilian Driver's Licence wouldn't have gone good with my Security Clearance or Career...

What a great life decision you made at 16!  THANK YOU for your service to our country!  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 9:20 PM, Jimbo said:

Don't know how many DBP people get only 3 alcoholic drinks in  a day, also don't know how many people are getting 2 specialty coffees, and 2 fresh squeezed OJ and  then getting 2 bottles of water and on top of that 2 more soda's in a single day. I would be in the bathroom half the day drinking all this. lol

You must mean flooding the toilet all day long, right? LOL!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

You must mean flooding the toilet all day long, right? LOL!!

Yeah the first time I read it I thought, he must have some bar set up in his bathroom!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Doesn't show on any of my future cruises.

You have to either look at the bottom of the cruise planner page where it will say "Royal Gifts", or some cruise planners (yes the format isn't the same for every cruise, who knew?) it will be on the drop down menu when you click on your circled initials in the upper right hand corner.

If you still can't find it, you can use this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/wine-liquor?cat=52

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yes, and that's a good point and brings up a question. In the past, RCCL bartenders gave very generous pours which were probably close to ordering a double.  It seems now they are more closely measuring pours.  If I have the DBP and order a double, do they just serve that and rng in in as 2 drinks on my package, or will they charge me the price that exceeds $13?  If they are going to charge me, then I'll just order a drink + a shot and make my own double.  

Good question