Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

2 hours ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

As one of the posters in this thread pointed out earlier, there seems to be a contingent of folks who absolutely, no matter what, state that there is no possible way that the drink package is "worth it."  Furthermore, these same people appear to get some enjoyment out of trying to prove that they are somehow better/smarter consumers because they don't get "fooled" by the big bad corporate greed of Royal Caribbean.

Yet someone else posted that "pro drink plan people" meet any question about "is it worth it?" with: "Yes!  Definitely get it!"  As another poster asked: when has that ever happened?  As far as I can tell, no examples were given.

From people who regularly get/have gotten the drink package, I generally see helpful advice along the lines of "if you drink X amount of drinks, and can get it for about Y price, then yes it makes sense" or "it also includes drinks other than alcoholic drinks" etc.  Then, those examples are met with the above response from Joebucks that, no those experiences are not valid and are not actual value because.... ?  Because he says so, I guess?

Thank you for helping me not feel like a crazy person lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I've never seen anyone say "get it".  I've never seen anyone say "don't get it"

It's ok to give examples and advice on why it IS worth it.  It is ok to give examples and advice on why it is NOT worth it.

This seems like a completely untenable position if you have actually been reading this thread, setting aside all the nasty and judgmental posts about the package that were rightfully deleted.

In the last couple of pages, we have had people say that the package is inherently a waste of money, accusing people who have posted their drink lists of lying, and arguments that other options (like purchasing a 375 mL liquor bottle) are objectively superior.

It's not a stretch to deem those statements as advice not to get the package.  They are not advice on why it's not worth it.  The difference is when people start saying things like "the package is a waste" rather than "the package is a waste for me."

On the other hand, exactly 0 persons have said that people should "just get" the package.  

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I just think you need to wear one of these when you aren't carrying a beverage in both hands.

12 Booze Products to Spazz Up Thanksgiving | Cooby

Or perhaps this contraption would make it easier for those without the drink package who will be forced to carry around the bottle of wine they brought on board... 🤔

5 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

Or perhaps this contraption would make it easier for those without the drink package who will be forced to carry around the bottle of wine they brought on board... 🤔

2 Bigger glasses will fill up with wine from one wine bottle no problem,  no need to carry the bottle around with you. No need at all for over priced DBP. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

2 Bigger glasses will fill up with wine from one wine bottle fast, no need to carry the bottle around with you. No need at all for over priced DBP. 🙂

OK, one problem solved, but then what's the solution for coke or water brought on board?  Backpack cooler?  😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

I'm still trying to determine if this is parody.  I mean, you are responding to his lived experience, so it isn't your value to "give" in some theoretical sense.  He literally ordered those drinks.  They have a cost on board.

Not to mention, saying that you can bring something on board is not equivalent.  Many people fly to port and don't want the hassle of checking a bag in order to bring wine on the flight or to locate a grocery/liquor store to buy wine when they get in town.  On top of that, having a bottle of wine that I either drink in my room or have to go back to my room to get a refill is not the same as being able to get a new drink at any bar throughout the day--same with bringing on cans of pop, going back to the room throughout the day unless you plan on lugging the case around the ship with you.

As one of the posters in this thread pointed out earlier, there seems to be a contingent of folks who absolutely, no matter what, state that there is no possible way that the drink package is "worth it."  Furthermore, these same people appear to get some enjoyment out of trying to prove that they are somehow better/smarter consumers because they don't get "fooled" by the big bad corporate greed of Royal Caribbean.

Yet someone else posted that "pro drink plan people" meet any question about "is it worth it?" with: "Yes!  Definitely get it!"  As another poster asked: when has that ever happened?  As far as I can tell, no examples were given.

From people who regularly get/have gotten the drink package, I generally see helpful advice along the lines of "if you drink X amount of drinks, and can get it for about Y price, then yes it makes sense" or "it also includes drinks other than alcoholic drinks" etc.  Then, those examples are met with the above response from Joebucks that, no those experiences are not valid and are not actual value because.... ?  Because he says so, I guess?

I was calling this out because the general theme is that the package "saves you money". When it is mentioned that large portions of this money-saving can still be legally had on board for a fraction of the cost, it moves to "well it's more convenient". 

While it is fine to have your preferences, others have theirs too. For some, it is not some massive chore to have a bottle of wine in your bag. I use a wine carrier that protects it. I am also able to have a bottle of my favorite stuff. I find it fun to pour a glass to start enjoying as soon as I get out of the shower. Nothing wrong with either approach. But let's admit what you are really buying. It isn't some savings. It is a service that you can order a drink when you want it. It is fine to perceive value in that. I do apologize if some of us laugh at all of the water bottle or orange juice examples.

Believe it or not, some do not find convenience in having to go to the bars frequently. Service can be backed up. You have to constantly get up (let alone the bathroom trips). I'm probably coming from my room at least once anyway. Why can't I bring anything with me? I can still buy something (and do) when I want it. Heck, I personally find it more convenient to have the bottle where I can pour a double or triple and it lasts me longer. I've ordered my bourbon on drink packages plenty of times. There was little convenience in having to constantly refill those piddly pours. Nor do I derive a ton of value from them just because they are in multiple glasses. You aren't getting as much as you think you are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

But let's admit what you are really buying. It isn't some savings.

But it absolutely is for many people, including numerous people on this thread, who have justified their positions with references to actual prices.

And I want to be able to switch up my drinks.  I want to be able to order a Sazerac, then an Aviation, then a Vieux Carre, then a Corpse Reviver #2, then a Mai Tai.  Or whatever cocktails they have on board.  I easily drink 8-13 alcoholic drinks throughout the day, plus juice, coffee, and bottled water.

If someone drinks a moderate amount of bourbon and wine and nothing else, fine.  That sounds like you.  A package probably doesn't make sense.

But your own preferences and experiences are not generalizable simply by your own fiat that they are.  

Given my own preferences, the package is a huge money-saver.  I am not sure why you are so intent on denying that reality via appeal to your own experiences and preferences, which are utterly irrelevant to what other people want.

Edited by baelor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

You need to find a way to get a few drinks to you served to you in the restrooms, just imagine how many more drinks you can get in you and really get your value for the package.

The bottles of water you drink is crazy !

Yes, but can you keep that up for 7 straight days and feel okay? or by that time you just don't feel anything? so you don't care?

7 days easy.

14 not so much. But I give it a good try. Trick is not to over drink and forget to take painkillers and a bottle of water before bed. 

By day 10 I can drink a whole bottle of wine and feel nothing though. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

But let's admit what you are really buying. It isn't some savings. It is a service that you can order a drink when you want it.

"Admit" what?  You are so determined to be right about this when you are so clearly wrong.

Taking your position to the extreme, one could argue bringing wine on board is also not "saving money" because you could limit yourself to only drinking the free champagne provided at art auctions, right?

As has been stated previously, you are only viewing this through your lens.  The DBP absolutely IS A SAVINGS for me, and certainly for others.  For still others, no--the DBP would not make financial sense.

The plainest language example possible:

• I do not drink wine (or at lest, very rarely)
  • I do not want to be subject to the "for in-stateroom consumption only" limitation on liquor gift packages (a discussion on breaking the rules is for another time, but the rule exists)

Therefore, if I am going to drink on a cruise, my options are to

• Buy a drink package, or
  • Pay per drink

Again, it isn't for everyone, but I am speaking objectively here, purely in the form of dollars out the door.  There is a verifiable savings for some people, including myself.  In that respect, on every cruise for which I have had the DBP, the DBP saved me money because the number of drinks I consumed would have cost more if I were to have purchased them on a per drink basis.  Q.E.D.

2 hours ago, baelor said:

This seems like a completely untenable position if you have actually been reading this thread, setting aside all the nasty and judgmental posts about the package that were rightfully deleted.

In the last couple of pages, we have had people say that the package is inherently a waste of money, accusing people who have posted their drink lists of lying, and arguments that other options (like purchasing a 375 mL liquor bottle) are objectively superior.

It's not a stretch to deem those statements as advice not to get the package.  They are not advice on why it's not worth it.  The difference is when people start saying things like "the package is a waste" rather than "the package is a waste for me."

On the other hand, exactly 0 persons have said that people should "just get" the package.  

I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Thanks mom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, baelor said:

But it absolutely is for many people, including numerous people on this thread, who have justified their positions with references to actual prices.

And I want to be able to switch up my drinks.  I want to be able to order a Sazerac, then an Aviation, then a Vieux Carre, then a Corpse Reviver #2, then a Mai Tai.  Or whatever cocktails they have on board.  I easily drink 8-13 alcoholic drinks throughout the day, plus juice, coffee, and bottled water.

If someone drinks a moderate amount of bourbon and wine and nothing else, fine.  That sounds like you.  A package probably doesn't make sense.

But your own preferences and experiences are not generalizable simply by your own fiat that they are.  

Given my own preferences, the package is a huge money-saver.  I am not sure why you are so intent on denying that reality via appeal to your own experiences and preferences, which are utterly irrelevant to what other people want.

You’ll know after you actually do the package for the first time if it was worth it to you. It’s really impossible to know what your consumption will be for everyday of a 7 night cruise. I can binge with the best of them but after about 3-4 days and nights of it I’m done. Plus I can’t really drink a lot and eat a lot. It’s one or the other for me so for me I miss out on lots of good meals when I’m drinking a lot. Then there’s also the unexpected not feeling well that can upset how much you can consume.

At the old prices it was an easy decision. At double, not so easy. That said I hope you’re glad you got it when you’re done😊

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It’s Carnival. You can tell by the beach towels on the couch.

Thanks, I haven't sailed them before so don't know their towels. 🙂 

I think the person who says you can buy a bottle at a bar and bring it back to your cabin is talking about a different cruise line too, because that is not something you can do on Royal Caribbean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You’ll know after you actually do the package for the first time if it was worth it to you. It’s really impossible to know what your consumption will be for everyday of a 7 night cruise. I can binge with the best of them but after about 3-4 days and nights of it I’m done. Plus I can’t really drink a lot and eat a lot. It’s one or the other for me so for me I miss out on lots of good meals when I’m drinking a lot. Then there’s also the unexpected not feeling well that can upset how much you can consume.

At the old prices it was an easy decision. At double, not so easy. That said I hope you’re glad you got it when you’re done😊

Indeed.  I have a pretty good sense given that I have been on vacations before, including AIs for longer than 7 days.  I generally drink lightly throughout the day so that I do not actually get drunk.  I am generally a light eater, and I do not expect to be eating a lot on the cruise.  That may change depending on the quality of the food I encounter, but I would say my food standards are pretty high, so I am not expecting to miss out on a lot of great meals.  

But we'll see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

We've observed that.  People go gung ho the first 3 or so days and then a lot just can't continue at that rate.  We try to cut off eating a couple of hours before bed and drinking an hour or so because believe it or not the older you get, the less your digestive system likes it and I end up with indigestion and acid reflux.  That didn't happen when I was 40.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

This post is too reasonable and considerate for this thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

But let's admit what you are really buying. It isn't some savings. It is a service that you can order a drink when you want it. It is fine to perceive value in that.

It's just middle school math.  X drinks per day at $Y Price = total cost of paying out of pocket.  Take this cost and compare it to the cost of the package.  If it is greater than the cost of the package, it is savings.

My personal math: 6-8 vodka/tonics per day, 1-2 sodas, 2-3 bottles of water, 1 premium coffee.

Out of pocket this is $750-950 for the week.  My package cost me $591.

This is a savings of $160 to $360.

Some might find this amount of alcohol too much for themselves.  Fair enough.  Those people should not get the package.  For me, on vacation, the drinks start at lunch.  If you consider that noon to midnight, 6-8 alcoholic beverages is one every ~2 hours.  This is not a lot for me.

I always recommend it to anyone who's going to be close with their out of pocket.  It's nice to not have to worry about it and not get a big bill at the end, but it's not that hard to calculate whether you're going to be egregiously overpaying with the package, in which case you should stay away. 

Basic Math.  Really easy.  It does work for some people.  It doesn't for others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be an obsession with somehow convincing people that you can’t possibly justify the price of a package, even when presented with actual live examples of how the package is of financial benefit to them.

But I’ll add—I have no problem admitting I don’t actually care if it actually ends up saving me money. I mean, I bought it because I believe we will get the cost benefit of the package, but even if we don’t that’s ultimately fine to me. We don’t specialty dine. We don’t pay for RCI excursions. We’re typically just a “go to the beach” family but we’re taking this cruise with friends our age and haven’t cruised in 5 years. The beach is nice and lazy, but I have to drive, I have to go get groceries, I make dinners, we still have to clean up after ourselves, do laundry, etc. and honestly I’m looking forward to having to do none of that. This is a once-every-five-years splurge vacation for us. 

I had already budgeted a number for the drink package that if it went under that number it would be “worth it” and I would buy it. It’s not like I’m going to care much if I spent $850 only to drink $750 in drinks—I’ve already planned and budgeted that money into my cruise, I mean it’s already paid off, it’s money that’s no longer in my wallet and now I don’t have to worry about it. I do enjoy the piece of mind of not tabulating the amount spent on drinks and I’m ESPECIALLY enjoying that I don’t have to, at any point, tell my wife “hey we need to cut back a bit because this is way more expensive than I expected.” And just because you can’t quantify this worth doesn’t mean it doesn’t hold value. I think most of us concede we may very well not buy what we spent on the package, but what we’re saying is we’re okay with that whereas it sounds like for many others that if you spent $820 on an $825 package that it totally shows the DBP is a scam

If you like the knowledge that you spent less than a DBP buyer, awesome, and without even going into my drinking habits of why the DBP makes more sense to me than lugging bottles of wine and buying $40 bottles of rum that cost $15 at my local grocery store, I’m just going to really enjoy my vacation 

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1