I am PCC curious

Suite Heart

I have a great PCC; not looking to change. I wouldn't want to ask her this, 'cause it's a bit personal.

How do the PCCs get paid? Is it a percentage of the cruise price, or a flat fee per cruise, or salary, or maybe salary plus commission?

Or industry secret? (K'know, they could tell us but they'd have to  kill us. 😆)

If you have used the same PCC for a while/or years, just ask.

If you have developed a personal relationship with them, just ask.

They will probably tell you. I think its salary plus commission for each cruise booked.

I don't know the salary structure but I do know that if you book online (and apply a deposit) they do not get credit for the sale.  So I do a mock booking and then process the deposit through my pcc so he gets the credit.  It's the least I can do since chances are I'm going to modify that reservation multiple times before I actually cruise.

• Haha 1

As @julig22 states the only way that a PCC gets the benefit of a booking is if they do the whole thing.   Even if you make the booking while on board and then transfer to your PCC the credit goes to the on board staff not the PCC.

Remember that if you book through a TA the booking is theirs not yours and you have to "talk" to NCL through the TA.   Like @julig22 we tend to make multiple changes in the life of a booking and our PCC is excellent knowing we do everything through him.

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

I don't know the salary structure but I do know that if you book online (and apply a deposit) they do not get credit for the sale.  So I do a mock booking and then process the deposit through my pcc so he gets the credit.  It's the least I can do since chances are I'm going to modify that reservation multiple times before I actually cruise.

I always do this. 😊

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

Remember that if you book through a TA the booking is theirs not yours and you have to "talk" to NCL through the TA.   

There are many things you can do with the booking without going through a TA.  For example, you can make room, excursion, and show reservations.  What you cannot do is anything that affects the fare since the TA is paid a commission based upon the fare.

My PCC really thanked me, I mean really thanked me when I had him book a cruise for me.  He knew I had been looking at a TA website for pricing...and that I'd get some OBC if I used the TA.  But, I haven't been a satisfied customer with TAs and decided to use the PCC instead.  Based on his "thanking me" it was kind of obvious that my booking was good for him in some way.

We have connected with several PCCs over the years. Our current PCC has been very helpful with questions about cruises and Cruise Next expiration dates. I do go through the entire booking process online but stop before paying. Why not give the PCC credit for the booking? I take the info and email our PCC and she calls me to confirm and book. 

In the past it has been very helpful to have that personal connection when upgrading or even changing cruises after booking. She also will ask if we are celebrating anything and sometimes gift us with strawberries or even a specialty dining voucher. 

I used a PCC for the first time for our next cruise as we had a 10% discount from a cancelled Baltic cruise and I couldn't do it online. I had got a few calls from her in the last couple of years asking was I interested in booking a cruise. She was very nice and helpful but she did get a name spelling incorrect and a postcode. A couple of emails later it was sorted. I didn't realise they get credit for bookings, I thought they were just like regular customer service.

Does it help them also if you call to pay final balance and add on any extras; soda package, water, cake & decorations etc? Or is it just getting the initial booking? 

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My PCC really thanked me, I mean really thanked me when I had him book a cruise for me.  He knew I had been looking at a TA website for pricing...and that I'd get some OBC if I used the TA.  But, I haven't been a satisfied customer with TAs and decided to use the PCC instead.  Based on his "thanking me" it was kind of obvious that my booking was good for him in some way.

That's kinda what happened to me as well.  I had a PCC (who initially contacted me) and based on something she told me let me know to do the mock booking and then call her to make the payment.  Then she left and the new PCC didn't seem too enthusiastic UNTIL I went out of my way to book something new through him.

1 hour ago, Cruise-mom said:

I used a PCC for the first time for our next cruise as we had a 10% discount from a cancelled Baltic cruise and I couldn't do it online. I had got a few calls from her in the last couple of years asking was I interested in booking a cruise. She was very nice and helpful but she did get a name spelling incorrect and a postcode. A couple of emails later it was sorted. I didn't realise they get credit for bookings, I thought they were just like regular customer service.

Does it help them also if you call to pay final balance and add on any extras; soda package, water, cake & decorations etc? Or is it just getting the initial booking? 

As far as I know, it's just for the initial booking.  I've never had anyone really try to upsell anything which would lead me to believe that they get paid for the booking, not a % of the invoice.

• Like 1

I purposely booked our next cruise online rather than through my PCC, since he was completely ghosting me about a very large after-final-payment price drop on an already booked cruise and wouldn’t answer my calls or emails at all, not even to just say that nothing could be done.  If he’s not going to help me or correspond with me when there’s problems, why bother dealing with him at all?  It’s faster to just book online.

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

As far as I know, it's just for the initial booking.  I've never had anyone really try to upsell anything which would lead me to believe that they get paid for the booking, not a % of the invoice.

Good to know, thanks!

I can't confirm this, but I would put money down that their compensation (or at least a part of it) is based on the fare of your cruise. Because I had booked Prima on my own and transferred to an online TA for promised OBC, and then did a last minute booking on my own for a garden villa on the Pearl. When my PCC saw I had booked those 2 expensive trips before knowing her, she did make a comment about it.

So now I have her direct line, as well as her cell phone number for any new bookings we want to do. She has helped us find 10% off coupons we didn't know we had (or possibly didn't have, and suddenly 'found' them in our account), as well as additional coupons and certificates, random $300 OBC in our accounts, all sorts of goodies simply by letting her hit the button instead of me. I price it out myself first online, then call her to see what price she gets - she's always lower. I don't know how, but she beats their own online pricing every time. 

For our upcoming Panama canal trip, her price was $500 lower than what I was going to book myself online and it included airfare - when that wasn't a promo at the time online. 

I have had the same PCC for years and let me say he is wonderful!   I always look for my cruise, the date and even the cabin number through a mock booking.  Then I call him to book the cruise.  If there are discounts or perks I am not aware of he makes sure I receive them.  Also if a price drops after my booking I just call him and he takes care of giving me the new price.  

12 hours ago, bookbabe said:

I purposely booked our next cruise online rather than through my PCC, since he was completely ghosting me about a very large after-final-payment price drop on an already booked cruise and wouldn’t answer my calls or emails at all, not even to just say that nothing could be done.  If he’s not going to help me or correspond with me when there’s problems, why bother dealing with him at all?  It’s faster to just book online.

Not how you should be treated.  I would call NCL and get another PCC.  Good ones are very helpful, as you can see from the comments in this thread.

• Like 1

It is very hard to get through to anyone at NCL to attempt to change a PCC.  No one will touch a reservation made by a PCC and no one will even talk to you.  I have found it very frustrating, and I feel trapped.  Any suggestions??

11 minutes ago, KapohoTwo said:

It is very hard to get through to anyone at NCL to attempt to change a PCC.  No one will touch a reservation made by a PCC and no one will even talk to you.  I have found it very frustrating, and I feel trapped.  Any suggestions??

Always shop around - I usually find that the value of booking through Costco travel is way better than going through a PCC - especially if you have a set date window/itinerary you're interested in looking at.  I will go through the comparison with NCL.com, Costco, United cruises, check Travelocity, etc - sometimes there are some super wonky good deals - and I've never found NCL and the PCC to have the best deals.

6 minutes ago, KapohoTwo said:

I would ask for a supervisor of the PCCs. The number to the PCC dept is 877-416-9722.  Just stay on that line until someone answers (likely one of the PCCs), and ask for a supervisor.  You have the right to speak to one.  You may need to explain why. 

Good luck! 

1 minute ago, hitch-04 said:

Always shop around - I usually find that the value of booking through Costco travel is way better than going through a PCC - especially if you have a set date window/itinerary you're interested in looking at.  I will go through the comparison with NCL.com, Costco, United cruises, check Travelocity, etc - sometimes there are some super wonky good deals - and I've never found NCL and the PCC to have the best deals.

People don't use a PCC for the best price, that does not happen, I good PCC is worth their weight in gold solving problems, they have direct contact within NCL and a good one knows who to talk to to get problems solved.

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

People don't use a PCC for the best price, that does not happen, I good PCC is worth their weight in gold solving problems, they have direct contact within NCL and a good one knows who to talk to to get problems solved.

I'm sure there are those who benefit from it, but I've never had a problem that Costco or other TAs weren't able to solve, and while saving me $$$ and adding in extra perks. But to each their own, I've just done a lot better with my later NCL cruises after going through Costco compared to going through the PCC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hitch-04 said:

I'm sure there are those who benefit from it, but I've never had a problem that Costco or other TAs weren't able to solve, and while saving me $$$ and adding in extra perks. But to each their own, I've just done a lot better with my later NCL cruises after going through Costco compared to going through the PCC.

I use a PCC in favour of a TA knowing full well I am giving up some potential OBC in exchange for the benefits I get from my PCC.

17 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I use a PCC in favour of a TA knowing full well I am giving up some potential OBC in exchange for the benefits I get from my PCC.

Me too.......

I find it frustrating to have to call the TA...wait for the TA to call me back...wait for the TA to call NCL etc......when I could have done it myself.  However, my OBC is usually in the $100 range; if I miss a price drop because of a "slow TA"....I'd lose that $100 anyway.

And then there's the guilt I feel when I book/cancel with the TA.......

• Like 1

I do know the value of a good PCC and have had good ones in the past.  My entire career was in the travel industry....most recently as a retail travel agent.  I shop around before I even call my PCC and know what is out there.  I like having control of my booking and prefer not to use a big box agent. However, once you beg your PCC to call your friends as they are ready to book, and the said PCC never calls them.....then it is time to change.  I will try the phone number that Turtles06 posted and see if there is any way to change.  Thanks all!!

When you use a TA - they own your booking. If you need to make changes, switch cabins, get price adjustments, etc - NCL cannot do anything at all. You must go through that TA.

If you use a PCC - they work for NCL, so it's not much different from you booking yourself online through their website. You can still call anyone at NCL and make any changes you need without having to wait for someone and possibly miss out on something.

So unless a TA is giving me thousands of dollars that my PCC can't - I want to keep that control over my reservation and won't use a TA.

As for what to do when you end up with a bad PCC - make friends in your roll call and ask for recommendations for a good one once you're on board. That's how I found mine - talking to a couple at the bar and they gave me her number, and the rest is history. If anyone asks me, I have a photo of her email signature with her direct contact info saved and will share it with anyone that asks. (it's illegal to share on these boards for some stupid reason though..., so you'll have to find me outside of here)