Would like information for Baltic cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen w/Riga, Helsinki, Tallinn, Visby, Ronne, Aarhaus

It is curious and disappointing that Royal Caribbean selected Riga for an overnight port if there are not adequate activities or transportation near the port.  The brochure states it is a 30-40 minute drive to Riga. Shuttles will not be able to make many round trips in a day.  Also, there are not many ship's tours at this site.

We will most likely have 2K-3K passengers on this cruise.  I predict long lines for shuttles.  

Therefore, I hope someone familiar with this port or a local resident can suggest a tour company.  We could arrange some cruise critic group tours.  

2 hours ago, joan&jen said:

Info I found about Riga ports from cruisemapper;

On July 20, 2018, the port received its ever-largest cruise liner - RCI-Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas (length 293 m / 961 ft). The boat moored right into downtown, which became possible after cleaning works (riverbed sediments) conducted in the Approach Channel and the Turning Basin (near Vansu Bridge). Previously, such larger ships were moored at KS Terminal Pier (Krievu Island), where water depth and turning basin's size are proper. After cleaning the sediments, the swinging basin's diameter was extended from 380 to 400 m (1312 ft) which is the max possible in regard to the existing port infrastructure. These works (done by Rohde Nielsen AS) included over 111000 m3 of excavated soil that was used for construction works in Kudziņsala.

So why can’t Voyager dock there?

That is the diameter of the basin; it doesn't mean that a 400m ship can turn there. (It is not like a railway roundhouse where there is a mechanism that turns the train car around like a turntable.)

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but in Copenhagen you can purchase a card that provides you access to public transportation and entrance to many of attractions throughout the city. 

Since we are staying after this looks to be a good deal for getting around and entrance fees

Sharing the link below

https://copenhagencard.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw14uVBhBEEiwAaufYx9s4aoGLpyDHLr4xfN7Dx9klHvBV1h_UXdYx0tMRmCF-bu89PwW3vhoC-bYQAvD_BwE

This report from a guy currently on Voyager, who was in Riga a couple days ago:

"...you can not walk it, I’m on Voyager now and was just in Latvia. They offer a free shuttle, takes about 20 mins depending on traffic and the traffic can get bad later on. Would recommend not waiting to take the very last shuttle, two people had to take a taxi because the shuttle couldn’t make it back in time for last pickup due to traffic."

(Source: Facebook, Royal Caribbean Information group)

On 6/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

It is curious and disappointing that Royal Caribbean selected Riga for an overnight port if there are not adequate activities or transportation near the port.  The brochure states it is a 30-40 minute drive to Riga. Shuttles will not be able to make many round trips in a day.  Also, there are not many ship's tours at this site.

We will most likely have 2K-3K passengers on this cruise.  I predict long lines for shuttles.  

Therefore, I hope someone familiar with this port or a local resident can suggest a tour company.  We could arrange some cruise critic group tours.  

Disappointing 

mom taking a excursion first day tinder Teutonic castles and countryside 

second day into Riga using Rick Steve’s book. I highlighted what to see but have to streamline it based on time it seems 

shuttle or taxi …

• Like 1

I'm a Riga local and happy to make some suggestions for things to do in the area if you're looking for options and interesting things to do. I would definitely recommend a taxi rather than the shuttle in this port, though. Beware of the traffic around rush hour, and use the Bolt app. 

Some things we've enjoyed in Riga: 

* Small boat tours from Canal park through Riga and out on to the Daugava river (very pretty, not narrated, though)

* You can spend a perfectly lovely day wandering along the canals park, and through the Art Nouveau district. Make sure to have a look at the protest art in front of the Russian Embassy. The Flying Frog is a lovely option for lunch, and there are wine and coffee bars tucked away everywhere in the area. 

* The occupation of Latvia museum, and any WWII/Singing Revolution tours that you can find on Viator (this are going to involve walking, but Latvia's history during this period is really fascinating and not super well known). We did not super love the Latvian History Museum, but other people might. 

* There are two large farmers markets, one in the Zeppelin hangers on the other side of old town and the other across the river in an area called Algenskalns that have traditional Latvian produce and some handicrafts.

* If you're a knitter, try to stop in to Hobby Wool in the Old Town! They have Latvian mitten knitting kits, Latvian made wool yarn (very reasonable, price wise!) and some knitted and felted garments. 

* There are some nice small spas close to old town, including one that is beer themed, if that's your jam. Otherwise, there is a traditional sauna that I think is re-opening this summer. 

* a bit outside of Riga but accessible through public transportation or a taxi is the Ethnographic museum, which is an open-air living history-style museum about Latvia through the ages, with buildings and farms from throughout the country. 

*Jurmala, on the coast, is about an hour drive and accessible through trains and buses. There is a nice (if chilly) beach, shops and a zip-line/ropes course if you're traveling with kids. 

Sigulda and Cesis are about 1.5 hours away for the two castles. In Sigulda there is a fantastic jewelry store called "Baltas Rotas" that does traditional Latvian jewelry/ring making classes (you'd have to arrange them ahead of time) and has fantastic jewelry available for purchase. My favorite 'day out' from Riga is going to Sigulda but only because I always get something new and shiny when I do. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I would like to add Denmark to the discussion.  Our cruise has three port stops in Denmark—Ronne, Aarhus, and we disembark in Copenhagen. 

I would like to ask about entering and leaving Copenhagen first. We only have one day post cruise in Copenhagen.  I originally booked a flight that left midafternoon the day after disembarking, but that was changed to 9:40 am. [Copenhagen to Frankfurt to Washington/Dulles] So, we lost a half day sight-seeing.  [Flights this summer are a huge problem.] 

I have booked the Radisson Royal hotel across from Tivoli for our 1-night stay. I picked it because it is beside/near a couple of places we want to visit and within a block of the train station. It appears there are bus stops nearby.

What is the best way to get there from the cruise ship? I have tried to search to see where we would dock.  I have found several sites, but none of them list the specific dock for the July 10 disembark of the Voyager of the Seas. 

Should I take the train or a bus to the airport in the morning?  Since we are flying to Frankfurt first would we need to be at the airport 3 hours before our flight?  [since still in Schengen] I have read the Copenhagen airport wins awards for efficiency. Also, it is the day after we arrive so many passengers will have left the day before us.

TIA

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I have tried to search to see where we would dock.  I have found several sites, but none of them list the specific dock for the July 10 disembark of the Voyager of the Seas. 

Should I take the train or a bus to the airport in the morning?  Since we are flying to Frankfurt first would we need to be at the airport 3 hours before our flight?  [since still in Schengen] I have read the Copenhagen airport wins awards for efficiency. Also, it is the day after we arrive so many passengers will have left the day before us.

TIA

So far this season, Voyager has been using Oceankaj port and specifically terminals 2 or 3.  I believe there is a free shuttle bus that runs from the ship to the nearby Oceankaj metro station.  From there a metro train will get you to a stop within 200metres of your hotel.  Following site shows Voyager will be at quay c333 for our arrival which is terminal 3 - https://www.cmport.com/terminals/ships-in-port/

Your plans are similar to ours, we have a one night stay at Hotel Vesterboro, like your hotel this is very close to the main train station and I'm planning to take the train direct from there to the airport.

I've read that there are self check in facilities for luggage at the airport so that should help with efficiency.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, adam7392 said:

So far this season, Voyager has been using Oceankaj port and specifically terminals 2 or 3.  I believe there is a free shuttle bus that runs from the ship to the nearby Oceankaj metro station.  From there a metro train will get you to a stop within 200metres of your hotel.  Following site shows Voyager will be at quay c333 for our arrival which is terminal 3 - https://www.cmport.com/terminals/ships-in-port/

I believe that the Metro station is Orientkaj, not Oceankaj. 

Heads-up about pilot strike starting June 29 creating disruptions.

Most star alliance tickets to ARN/CPH have been rebooked through non SAS carriers such as Swiss, Lufthansa, LOT.

Even without this strike, most European airports including CPH and ARN are huge mess this summer 

Arrive at airport 4 hours before flight and still miss the flight!!!

Google to stay on top of this evolving irritation.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Most star alliance tickets to ARN/CPH have been rebooked through non SAS carriers such as Swiss, Lufthansa, LOT.

Even without this strike, most European airports including CPH and ARN are huge mess this summer 

Thank you for the heads-up. This is just what we needed. [sarcasm] We are booked through United.  We have a United flight From Washington/Dulles to Munich and Lufthansa to ARN.  Coming home we are Lufthansa from CPH to Frankfurt and then United home. These flights were already very full.  Now they will be overbooked.

We are arriving in Stockholm on Thursday AM for a Sunday embarkation.  But the ship does not sail until Monday.  That is likely enough wiggle room to not miss the sailing. 

On the way home I would be OK if we were delayed.  I know I would be stressed, but we are retired, and I did not plan anything immediately after the cruise. [so we could quarantine if  a positive CV test before flying home to the US] We are glad the testing requirement is removed.

I will need to read the articles on this. Ugh!!

Here is the link:

SAS Airline Pilots Threaten Strike From End Of June | Barron's (barrons.com)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, adam7392 said:

Anyone thinking of avoiding any star alliance airlines should avoid British Airways, their cabin crew and ground staff have just voted for strike action over the summer holidays.

I just do not think there are many empty seats on flights to move passengers.  I mentioned earlier we booked with the Royal Caribbean Air2Sea and when they had to rebook a cancelled flight, we got an upgrade to business class because there were no other seats.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

HankaM gave the following reply to our question regarding Riga in the roll call for the June 5, 2022 Voyager cruise.  I was especially glad to get some information regarding Visby.

"At Riga, we docked at a lumbar yard and bus after bus came to the ship to carry us too and from town. I think the last bus to return was at 11:00 pm the first night.  One bus we were on had no AC, but the other bus, that was a city bus, did have AC. The trip was about 30 minutes each direction. You get dropped off at the back side of the Riga Palace. Shuttle was free.  

In Visby, you can walk 20 minutes(?) slightly uphill to get to town, or take a shuttle for $15 per person and be there in 5 min. Those buses come one after the other too. City buses.  Visby has been our favorite stop so far.  The town is on the side of a hill so lots of up and down walking on cobblestones. "

9 minutes ago, majmaj4 said:

I am flying on SAS 07/22/2022, any ideas on how worried I should be.  Should I start checking out contingencies?

If you are on the 31/July sailing (which is not actually leaving until 1 Aug) I doubt you need worry.  If its the 24 july sailing then I might be looking at options just in case.

37 minutes ago, majmaj4 said:

I am flying on SAS 07/22/2022, any ideas on how worried I should be.  Should I start checking out contingencies?

How/where have you purchased your ticket? I do not know if it’s mattes but I have always bought my tickets direct with SAS and I have newer been left behind.

I have mainly flown SAS for 45 years at work and in private and I have never been worried when a strike was announced - and this is not the first SAS strike.  In all cases where there have been irregularities in operations, technical, weather or strike, SAS has rerouted me with other Star Alliance partners or SAS flights that were not covered by the strike - however some times a day late or maybe the day before. 
Technically SAS consists of three separate companies: SAS, SAS Select and SAS Direct - the latter two has not announced strike. And we do not know yet if there will be a strike - personally I believe that the current disagreement will be solved or the strike will be exposed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  We are flying SAS to CPH on July 26 and returning from ARN in August.  So far no change in our flights on the SAS website, and I would hope the strike would be settle by then – but just in case I grabbed the last refundable PE seats on the equivalent Delta flights [at eye-watering prices!  I sure hope I don't have to use them...]

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  We are flying SAS to CPH on July 26 and returning from ARN in August.  So far no change in our flights on the SAS website, and I would hope the strike would be settle by then – but just in case I grabbed the last refundable PE seats on the equivalent Delta flights [at eye-watering prices!  I sure hope I don't have to use them...]

I feel your pain.  I looked at bookings when ours was cancelled last month.  It was so much higher we decided to just wait until they found us a seat. 

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I feel your pain.  I looked at bookings when ours was cancelled last month.  It was so much higher we decided to just wait until they found us a seat. 

If it happens, it will be the cost of travel in these times.  So far we have been spared any expenses through several Covid cancellations, so we'll just suck it up...

1 hour ago, Desdichado62 said:

in case anyone wants to do both Vasa museum and museum of wrecks they are now offering combination tickets for this summer. Price is 290 SEK for an adult while separate tickets would be 185+190 SEK.

https://www.vrak.se/en/visit-the-museum/tickets/

Thank you.  We planned to visit the ships on the waterfront near the Vasa.

I had not read anything about this museum.  I imagine the Vrak is more my husband's interest. I checked Trip Advisor and they only had 4 reviews.  Have you visited this museum?