Shopping for the DH

Mary229

Maybe this is the wrong forum but I find so many great sources here.  I am thinking ahead to our Amazon trip.  I have found light weight long pants for me but am having difficulty finding them for John. Mine are super lightweight, quick dry and with handy zip up pockets.  Most of the athletic wear like Nike and Reebok is too heavy.  I am looking for material about the weight of basketball shorts.  Does anyone have recommendations?  Thank you

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Maybe this is the wrong forum but I find so many great sources here.  I am thinking ahead to our Amazon trip.  I have found light weight long pants for me but am having difficulty finding them for John. Mine are super lightweight, quick dry and with handy zip up pockets.  Most of the athletic wear like Nike and Reebok is too heavy.  I am looking for material about the weight of basketball shorts.  Does anyone have recommendations?  Thank you

Have you looked at Columbia? They always seem to have some lightweight pants for hiking that are quick dry. I used to get a couple pair for DS when we'd travel together.  There's also REI's own brand (see their website for a wide range of brands as well, but the REI brand is good value if they work....)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Have you looked at Columbia? They always seem to have some lightweight pants for hiking that are quick dry. I used to get a couple pair for DS when we'd travel together.  There's also REI's own brand (see their website for a wide range of brands as well, but the REI brand is good value if they work....)

Columbia has some great zip-off leg pants for men....lightweight.

4 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Columbia has some great zip-off leg pants for men....lightweight.

I saw those.  He is not going to wear zip offs, he has definite rules about what constitutes clothing😉

• Like 1

There were two long-established travel catalogues ... TravelSmith and Magellan's.  I don't know if they've survived the virus disaster but they'll have just what you want, albeit at a price. I wear a lot of men's pants because they're long enough ... I have a navy blue pair that are probably 20 years old; they're indestructible and they still look great.  I'm surprised that a search on Amazon hasn't turned up all kinds of pants suitable for the Amazon. 

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

great.  I'm surprised that a search on Amazon hasn't turned up all kinds of pants suitable for the Amazon

It is hard to gauge material weight online.  I was fortunate to find mine around town.  I will look at Magellan.  Thank you

Columbia, Eddie Bauer are the two trekking pants that my husband really likes. They are both SPF50 & very lightweight (but still sturdy). Specifically likes Eddie Bauer as they have better sizing. They are having a huge sale too until June 2 in line & in stores 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Look at Ex-Officio for things for him!

My hubs tried several things of this brand. He’s very broad shouldered & their shirts aren’t cut for him, he liked the styles tho. 

• 4 weeks later...

Costco has some of the men's pants that zip off into shorts and they're super inexpensive.  I think I paid $16.99.  Can't beat that and they're the type of material that you can wash out in the sink and they are dry by the morning.

• Like 1

Just because they are zip-offs, he doesn't have to make them shorts. My husband never does, but wears almost exclusively cargo zip-offs. Because that is what is out there!

White Sierra is another brand. Also for ventilated nylon shirts.

57 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Just because they are zip-offs, he doesn't have to make them shorts. My husband never does, but wears almost exclusively cargo zip-offs. Because that is what is out there!

White Sierra is another brand. Also for ventilated nylon shirts.

My DH was never be mistaken for a fashion expert but he has his peculiarities.   I saw some the other day at Sam’s and I will also take a look at the ones Costco sells.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 7:09 AM, awhfy said:

My hubs tried several things of this brand. He’s very broad shouldered & their shirts aren’t cut for him, he liked the styles tho. 

Although a little pricey, has he tried Tommy Bahama?  My now-ex was tall and broad shouldered and Tommy Bahama was one brand that he could always find something.  Even the long sleeves worked.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:51 AM, slidergirl said:

Although a little pricey, has he tried Tommy Bahama?  My now-ex was tall and broad shouldered and Tommy Bahama was one brand that he could always find something.  Even the long sleeves worked.

TB is always a go too & Chaps SPF shirts are his go too. The Columbia SPF shirts & Eddie Bauer SPF shirts work well too. He’s also a big fan of the Eddie Bauer SPF Ascent shirts & trekker pants 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1