ArriveCan

Topdog52

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, akittynamedsassy said:

We are sailing soon for an Alaska cruise on NCL Sun, which has one Canada port (in Victoria).  We will not be getting off at the Canada port.  Do we still have to complete the ArriveCAN form before getting on our ship in Seattle?

From the way I read this, yes!

All travelers, with limited exceptions, whether entering Canada by air, land, rail or marine vessel, must use ArriveCAN unless you're exempt from this requirement due to an accessibility need.

You'll need to submit your information within 72 hours:

More info:

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just fyi.  Victoria didn't even ask to see my ArriveCAN two weeks ago.  For a government thing, the website and app do work pretty nicely.

They didn't ask to see it any more than they asked to see your passport .

Your ArriveCAN was already approved and the cruise line verified it at check in so why would you expect them to ask to see it since it was already verified that you had it?

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, Topdog52 said:

Do you need to fill out an ArriveCan form every time you take a Canadian Cruise? We 

just filled one out for Alaska last months and we will be going to New England and Canada

in the fall.

You need to fill out an ArriveCAN every time you enter Canada from a different country (so cruising from Halifax to St. John, for instance, wouldn't require two.)

The first one requires passport information and uploading your vax card.  Once that's loaded, assuming nothing has changed subsequently, it's just a matter of going into the app and answering the questions.  I flew into Montreal by air a couple months ago and they barely checked the barcode but I'm told NCL DOES check it before boarding.

3 hours ago, akittynamedsassy said:

We are sailing soon for an Alaska cruise on NCL Sun, which has one Canada port (in Victoria).  We will not be getting off at the Canada port.  Do we still have to complete the ArriveCAN form before getting on our ship in Seattle?

YES. All passengers will be asked to show their ArriveCAN receipt on boarding. 

14 hours ago, akittynamedsassy said:

Yes. And you have to complete a Canadian customs declaration form once on the ship. 

13 hours ago, njhorseman said:

They didn't ask to see it any more than they asked to see your passport .

Your ArriveCAN was already approved and the cruise line verified it at check in so why would you expect them to ask to see it since it was already verified that you had it?

Did I say that I expected them to ask to see it?

12 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I flew into Montreal by air a couple months ago and they barely checked the barcode but I'm told NCL DOES check it before boarding.

They just checked to see that I had a piece of paper that looked right.  They didn't scan the barcode or "check" anything else.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did I say that I expected them to ask to see it?

Not directly but if that was not the intent then what purpose does saying "Victoria didn't even ask to see my ArriveCAN" serve?

I've seen numerous complaints about both Bermuda's and Canada's authorization forms along the lines of "Why did they make me do this when they didn't even check it when I got off the ship", hence my reaction to your post. 

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They just checked to see that I had a piece of paper that looked right.  They didn't scan the barcode or "check" anything else.

That's what happened to me at Montreal airport.  There were personnel (I think from the airline and not government employees) asking to see our QR's.  They just glanced and waved us onward.  I don't recall the actual Customs agent asking for it at all.

I thought in reading about ArriveCan that one person can fill it out for everyone in their cabin.  In our  case, it would just be for the two of us.  Is this correct?     

Or do each of us need to download the app and complete the application?

13 hours ago, ByThePond said:

YES. All passengers will be asked to show their ArriveCAN receipt on boarding. 

22 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I thought in reading about ArriveCan that one person can fill it out for everyone in their cabin.  In our  case, it would just be for the two of us.  Is this correct?     

Or do each of us need to download the app and complete the application?

It depends.  You can use ArriveCAN to register up to 8 people.  However, they must be related (spouse, minor children, individuals for whom you are guardian.)  If you're travelling with a friend or child that's 18+, even within the same cabin, that will require a separate profile.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI even if border agents don't ask to see your Arrive Can app, they can tell you filled it out by scanning your passport. On a recent trip, when returning to Canada, the agent scanned my passport and asked to see my Vaccine Doc as "the arrive can app didn't like the photo I uploaded" He had not asked if I filled the app out, or asked to see it before this point. I'm assuming the passport info you enter into the app is on file with the agents, allowing them to check your info and only ask to see if if something isn't correct etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are currently in Toronto, ONT (Canada) and crossed land border using ArriveCAN yesterday at Niagara Falls, submitted our vax info about 2 weeks ago online and acknowledged - and, completed the details of our travel date/approximate time and place of stay info within 72 hours (this week) - and, it was FREE & super easy (vs. Bermuda's TA).  No need to wait, call or email to chase for an approval whatsoever - Bermuda, #Hint #Hint (of course, each country set & dictate their rules.)  

QR approved code issued within a minute or two, plus the confirmation or approval by email, both are digitally acceptable to show to the CBSA officer - no need to print them out (save it to PDF and/or make sure you can retrieve email on your smartphone as it could be roaming already at the "checkpoint")

We're only asked to present our passports (travel documents) for the entire group, the purpose of our visit, length of stay and whether we were transporting anything against rules & regulations, etc.  The officer did not need to see our QR codes as he kindly explained to us that as long as we are using the passport (or other valid & accepted travel documents from the initial submission) that it is already linked to our vax info and approval.  The entire process at the crossing didn't even take 5 minutes, no questions about our Hertz rental minivan with CA license plate either.  

We will be on a Canada/NE cruise in mid September and it's going to be even easier as we just need to update our ArriveCAN info about ship/cruise date & port stop.  No Antigen Rapid or PCR testing results needed based on our submitted info ... YAY !!! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, phillygwm said:

That's what happened to me at Montreal airport.  There were personnel (I think from the airline and not government employees) asking to see our QR's.  They just glanced and waved us onward.  I don't recall the actual Customs agent asking for it at all.

That's because the ArriveCan you filled out is linked to your passport number.  When you check in to the self service booth and/or agent at the airport customs hall they already know you filled it out or else you get flagged.  The personnel in the airport checking are just making sure you don't cause delays in the customs hall by not having your ArriveCan filled out.

• Like 1

where do you get this arrivecan? a few years back, we flew from l.a. to monteral to hamburg and the reverse itinerary coming back. no one asked or  mentioned this form. 

ok chief mate, im relaying on your profound expertise, and i still owe you a beer (lol)

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

where do you get this arrivecan? a few years back, we flew from l.a. to monteral to hamburg and the reverse itinerary coming back. no one asked or  mentioned this form. 

ok chief mate, im relaying on your profound expertise, and i still owe you a beer (lol)

I'm not Chief mate and you don't owe me a beer so you get a free answer. ArriveCAN is a recent vintage (2020 ?) COVID-era smartphone app for travelers to Canada and is also accessible online . It didn't exist a few years ago. Read all about it here https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, complawyer said:

🙂It looks like you already got your answer.  I was working. 🤥 Ok, I can't back that up.  I may have been napping. 😴

• Haha 1