Luggage Overboard

ivanidea

So in effect there was an accident involving passenger's luggage, and according to the OP it's happened before, unfortunate for those it concerned and taking a wild guess they would be suitably compensated, and I thank the OP for giving me something else to worry about.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

This is clearly more common than realised.  Anyone else recall the television programmes featuring Regal Princess where the identical scenario occurred with several passengers luggage going overboard on loading.  I recall that the guests clothing etc was rather wet when rescued!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

I can remember when this happened to my sister. It was 1971 when we boarded P&O's SS Orcades at Southampton.  In those days all cases were loaded on to the ship in nets by crane.  Unfortunately her case, together with several others, slipped out of the net and fell into the water between the dock and side of the ship.
As you can imagine my sister, who was 16 at the time, was distraught.  Back then everyone dressed up for dinner, men in suits and ladies in long dresses and all but one of her dresses was in the said case. She loved her clothes and had worked Saturdays in Woolworths to earn the money to buy her dresses.
P&O were able to rescue her case from the drink and laundered everything on board.  However, this meant my sister had to wear the one surviving dress for the first three evenings, which again upset her. The case itself was ruined and I remember going with my father to buy a replacement case whilst in Gibraltar. 

• Like 1

A hoist cable snapped sending the cases into the water ,not nice for the owners of the cases .

The main thing is no one was hurt . It reminds me of the week we got off Thomson Majesty 

and a life boat hoist cable also snapped sending five crew to their deaths and others injured .

I hope people have got their cases back without too much water damage to the contents .

Good advice about clicking on potentially harmful links although to contradict myself here's the story breaking on Cruise Hive https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-ship-deploys-lifeboats-after-cage-full-of-luggage-falls-overboard/73334 which confirms what we already know. I must admit I've wondered how many times luggage ends up in the drink!

1 hour ago, kalos said:

A hoist cable snapped sending the cases into the water ,not nice for the owners of the cases .

The main thing is no one was hurt . It reminds me of the week we got off Thomson Majesty 

and a life boat hoist cable also snapped sending five crew to their deaths and others injured .

I hope people have got their cases back without too much water damage to the contents .

This is what I understand.  I saw pictures, possibly a short video, of the tenders from Ventura rescuing the cases which had fallen in the sea a couple of days or so ago on social media.  It was a cruise group, though not one of the P&O ones, but I was surprised it had not made here, then thought it may have been discussed on the general, "How are things with you type thread", which I do not usually read .  I think the cases were being unloaded rather than loaded, but am not sure about that, I was busy at the time, so did not read all the comments.

I agree it was perhaps lucky no one was hurt, could have been a very nasty incident.  Someone had commented that they were surprised the cases had floated, I do not believe ours would have done.

Edited by tring

I have a cunning plan, we get home soon from our Danube cruise and don't have much time before we join Ambience. I suggested to Ms YP that we put all the mucky washing in one case and ensure it falls in the sea at Tilbury thus getting the washing done free of charge and a new case, simples.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Possibly,  if it  is raining. 

Strange sort of question ! 

Why was it a strange question when luggage went in the sea?

I read about this on other social media , some people had actually seen it happen and the seen the lifeboat launch. 

I also haven’t clicked into links but I think they say it was loading the cases on embarkation but people that saw it say it was when they were offloading the cases when they were all getting off. Apparently 20 went in the water and 10 were recovered, they were posting pictures of them floating off from the ship and the lifeboat trying to find them.

1 hour ago, Jazzytelly said:

Why was it a strange question when luggage went in the sea?

I read about this on other social media , some people had actually seen it happen and the seen the lifeboat launch. 

To be fair, it’s highly unusual for any Express story to be based on anything factual. Most of it’s simply clickbait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair, it’s highly unusual for any Express story to be based on anything factual. Most of it’s simply clickbait.

Well it was true on this occasion, just it was when they were disembarking not embarking 

1 hour ago, Jazzytelly said:

I also haven’t clicked into links but I think they say it was loading the cases on embarkation but people that saw it say it was when they were offloading the cases when they were all getting off. Apparently 20 went in the water and 10 were recovered, they were posting pictures of them floating off from the ship and the lifeboat trying to find them.

I wonder if there is any way of getting the other 10 back, presumably they sank.  Could be some interesting finds at the bottom of the dock in years to come. 

Seriously though, that would be horrendous to loose a whole case of luggage and not get it back at all, though some things would be totally ruined.

• Like 3