Current Upsell Approach

john2003

Did you call the HAL upsell area to be told that?  

I call the upsell area (not sure of what it is really called) prior to cruising and after giving them your booking number, they rattle off upsell prices for different categories and then if you like, you give them your credit card and off you go.  

Most of the time, the price is too much for us (is just the regular price) but we have gotten lucky. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, john2003 said:

Just bad info to our TA from HAL. 3 separate times! I called and got an offer I accepted.

Good to know. We received multiple upsell offers on our last two cruises, and I had booked those myself--no TA between me and HAL. For our next cruise, which I transferred to our TA to get the OBC they give us, I'll call the upsell people myself when we get close to sailing.

55 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Did you call the HAL upsell area to be told that?  

I call the upsell area (not sure of what it is really called) prior to cruising and after giving them your booking number, they rattle off upsell prices for different categories and then if you like, you give them your credit card and off you go.  

Most of the time, the price is too much for us (is just the regular price) but we have gotten lucky. 

Even when you have the booking through a TA?

• Like 1

Some TAs do not do a good job in passing along Upsells (or so I have been told on this board).  While you can call the upsell department yourself and ask for an upsell, it is a bit tough to do, as the window for offering them is usually a set date and if you call before that you will be offered the normal cabin rate.  If you call after that date, you might get a good deal, but often the best deals go very fast and you might miss out, or be left with a reduced selection of cabins.

If getting a good upsell offer is important to you, then book directly with HAL for the best selection, as you will get a direct email from them when they are ready to open up the window for them.

2 hours ago, rochelle_s said:

Anyone care ton post the telephone number for the upsell department?

Rochelle

Ship Inventory Dept,  1.888.628.8107 or 206.626.7381, same as the number for Club Orange.  I called last week, which was 12 days before embarkation.  Agent said there was no email sent out, wait a moment and I check, and then gave me a great price 😁

I love the way that the call is answered and the message says 'have your credit card ready' 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Ship Inventory Dept,  1.888.628.8107 or 206.626.7381, same as the number for Club Orange.  I called last week, which was 12 days before embarkation.  Agent said there was no email sent out, wait a moment and I check, and then gave me a great price 😁

I love the way that the call is answered and the message says 'have your credit card ready' 😉

Thank you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

It’s very hit and miss though.  My last sailing was about 40 percent full.  I was in a balcony.  Last November I took an reasonable upsell to a vista suite.  It really was a waste of money because it barely bigger than a balcony.  I asked the price for a signature or Neptune and it was high.  Still the same price a couple days before.  You would have thought there would be a fair amount f availability and a lower price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thank you and I am so glad you got a good upsell offer. Have a fabulous cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a guaranteed Vista Suite on a March Rotterdam cruise and received our Vista cabin assignment about 10 days before we sailed. A few days before sailing I received an upsell email for a Neptune Suite and we grabbed it - was a few doors down from the Neptune Lounge so a perfect location.

Thanks for the Inventory Dept. phone numbers - I didn't know we could call them.

9 hours ago, john2003 said:

Even though I have TA they quoted and processed the upsell. Strange because they normally won't deal direct if you have a TA. Wonder if close to sailing they are more flexible.

Always use a TA and never had an issue getting a quote and buying an upsell.  

The most important thing to remember is to have a ship map (to view the category or cabin number they are are offering) ready along with your credit card and booking number and please do not dilly dally on the phone.  Other folks are waiting. 

It's either a yes or no to the upsell and you "pays your money or not" and go!

Smooth sailing to all.............

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SailorMarg said:

What would you recommend is the ideal number of days prior to embarkation to make your first call for upsell opportunities?

I did my call about 12 days out.

Needed to time it so that they had allocated the GTY cabins and had run their inventory figures and knew what was available.  To my mind 30 days out is too early.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I did my call about 12 days out.

Needed to time it so that they had allocated the GTY cabins and had run their inventory figures and knew what was available.  To my mind 30 days out is too early.

Inmy experience, HAL offers the upsells BEFORE they assign the guarantees.  I know this does not seem fair, but its what I hae experienced.  One time I booked a Signature Suite while my firend booked a Neptune guarantee (SC).  About 3-4 weeks prior to sailing I got a very attractive upsell offer and was able to select my cabin, ending up with an SA near the Neptune Lounge.  A week later my friend got his guarantee assingment - a SB located one deck below my cabin and the Neptune Lounge.  He was not a happy camper when he figured out that he ended up paying more than I did (by a decent amount) and got an inferior cabin location to mine.  

Of course he knew he would be in a Neptune while I was just HOPING for a Neptune.  Just to give you an idea how HAL handles this.

I called in this morning and was able to upgrade from Vista to Neptune for the B2B that starts on June 25.  I thought the offers fair.  There was only one cabin open both ways and that’s what I booked.  I’ve put the number on my HAL spreadsheet so I have it for next time.  Thank you @VMax1700 for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:59 PM, SailorMarg said:

What would you recommend is the ideal number of days prior to embarkation to make your first call for upsell opportunities?

We received an email with an upsell offer this morning for our cruise to Alaska in 10 days.  We went from a category V balcony to a Neptune Spa suite and saved about $4K over the cost if we had upgraded on our own. First time we've received such an offer from HAL.

• Like 2