I got Covid, now what? (Discovery Princess 6/26)

Goddessinjapan

I just tested positive for Covid. Two days before the end of school!! Mild symptoms and am waiting to get approved for an antiviral.

6/26 on Discovery Princess is a no-go , since it leaves in 6 days, but anyone have any advice on procedures?

I have the cheap coverage, because the Princess agent just talked about the medical benefits, not different cancellation coverage. I was driving and didn't need airfare coverage, etc. I found it was a different level of refund for cancellation and emailed to change, but they said no, because it was paid in full.

My fault. But at least it was $632 (I used the teacher's discount) and wasn't my life's dream cruise involving my life savings!!

I prepaid tips and wine tastings and specialty dining.

Edited by Goddessinjapan

I’d recommend viewing their Book with Confidence webpage to learn about your options when needing to cancel within 30 days due to Covid.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

We don't think finances should affect decisions about your health, so if you feel ill and need to change your plans, we'll protect your cruise investment. Under our temporary Book with Confidence policy, we’ve taken the worry out of booking your next cruise:

• Cancel up to 30 days before you sail, and get your cancellation fees back as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC).
    • Applies to all bookings on voyages departing through September 30, 2022.
    • To use the FCCs created as part of this program, book your cruise within a year from the date you received your credit, and sail by September 30, 2023.
  • NEW: Cancel within 30 days of your sail date, we've got you covered with our new COVID-19 Protection Program.

See Full Terms & Conditions

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Goddessinjapan said:

I just tested positive for Covid. Two days before the end of school!! Mild symptoms and am waiting to get approved for an antiviral.

6/26 on Discovery Princess is a no-go , since it leaves in 6 days, but anyone have any advice on procedures?

I have the cheap coverage, because the Princess agent just talked about the medical benefits, not different cancellation coverage. I was driving and didn't need airfare coverage, etc. I found it was a different level of refund for cancellation and emailed to change, but they said no, because it was paid in full.

My fault. But at least it was $632 (I used the teacher's discount) and wasn't my life's dream cruise involving my life savings!!

I prepaid tips and wine tastings and specialty dining.

You would be covered under the Covid 19 protection program. They will give you FCC for the cruise price to use up to Sep

2023.  This will be posted to your Princess account online. You should ask them how long it is taking to post FCC’s?

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

You would need to call your TA, CVP or if you booked online with Princess call them.  I would get official test so you have proof.  

Your other questions should be answered if you read the link.

Edited by PacnGoNow

I hope you feel better soon!  You are canceling for a covered medical reason so you'll probably get a large part back in cash.  But in any event the Covid Protection program provides a safety net of FCCs even without insurance. You'll need to work with Princess or your TA (if you used one) to discuss options.

Edited by azbirdmom

We had to cancel too because my daughter tested positive for Covid four days before our cruise. We had other insurance so we didn’t take it, but we would’ve been given FCC even if we had no insurance because it was Covid, according to Princess.

9 hours ago, topspot said:

Check out the cruise with confidence policy.  You should be able to get FCC for what you paid.

also the OP said "I prepaid tips and wine tastings and specialty dining."

Those payment will be returned to via the method purchased (for most people, that is a credit card).

Not sure how and if this will work.  

1.  As others have mentioned, get tested to have documentation.  

2.  I've never had covid, but some have said that they will test positive for weeks.  Others have said they have taken a test 5 days after and tested negative. 

3.  Do you want to add stress and cruise on 6/26 or just rebook it for a later time this summer?

I am so sorry that you didn't make it through the school year.  Glad Princess acknowledged your hard work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

You would be covered under the Covid 19 protection program. They will give you FCC for the cruise price to use up to Sep

2023.  This will be posted to your Princess account online. You should ask them how long it is taking to post FCC’s?

You would need to call your TA, CVP or if you booked online with Princess call them.  I would get official test so you have proof.  

Your other questions should be answered if you read the link.

I read that it was September 30, 2022.  

Edited by Linsifer

3 hours ago, Linsifer said:

I read that it was September 30, 2022.  

I posted you can USE the FCC up to 2023.

It does say SAIL by Sep 30, 2023.  See below!  I used the cancel within 30 days and was given FCC. It has an expiration of 1 year from the date

that I cancelled to use the FCC.

We don't think finances should affect decisions about your health, so if you feel ill and need to change your plans, we'll protect your cruise investment. Under our temporary Book with Confidence policy, we’ve taken the worry out of booking your next cruise:

• Cancel up to 30 days before you sail, and get your cancellation fees back as a Future Cruise Credit (FCC).
    • To use the FCCs created as part of this program, book your cruise within a year from the date you received your credit, and sail by September 30, 2023.
Edited by PacnGoNow

• 4 weeks later...

I rebooked for 7/10. Just posted a review. 

I tested negative on an antigen test. Apparently the PCR tests are more sensitive.

Now that I am back on dry land, I will have to check for sure, but somewhere in the bowels of the Medallion Class app I saw $300+ in FCC that the Travel Advisor had NOT applied to my cruise. Sneaky, sneaky Princess.

Question. Who do you contact when you have to cancel when one tests positive. We booked through a travel agent. Can i also just call Princess direct tomorrow?

Bummer

58 minutes ago, waltd said:

Question. Who do you contact when you have to cancel when one tests positive. We booked through a travel agent. Can i also just call Princess direct tomorrow?

Bummer

I did not have to cancel for COVID, but for another medical reason.  It was complicated since Passenger 1 was going solo and Passengers 2 and 3 were cancelling.  This is why I have a fantastic Travel Agent/Adviser.  I told her that P2/3 needed to cancel.  She did all the leg work.  Once it was cancelled, she explained that we would have to do all the insurance on our own since she was not a licenced insurance agent (I understood that).  She did her job, now I needed to follow through.  They opted for full refund minu insurance instead of FCC (which would include insurance).  

It took many calls/emails, etc to get claim resolved.  Think 4 months from start to finish.

Wishing you/your cruise mate a speedy recovery.  It's definitely a bummer.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I’d recommend viewing their Book with Confidence webpage to learn about your options when needing to cancel within 30 days due to Covid.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

• NEW: Cancel within 30 days of your sail date, we've got you covered with our new COVID-19 Protection Program.

See Full Terms & Conditions

I have to cancel tomorrow's cruise, July 19th due to a positive PCR test.

I called my travel agent, and she is canceling the cruise.

I called Princess to find out about a refund.  I called twice.

I was told that I would have to go through AOM and file a claim.

I did and they sent me a link.   Now it gets a bit confusing. 

When I open the link, it looks like I have two options.   

One tab says FCC and the second tab says claim.

By clicking FCC, they acknowledge that you are asking for credit only and no more information is required with an acknowledgement that they received it and it could take 3 to 4 weeks.

If you click on claim, then this is where you must provide all medical paperwork and more.  I believe this would be where you would file if you wanted cash back.  We picked FCC and I hope I did this right.

Just an FYI

With our AON claims. all funds were reimbursed to us via checks from AON.  There was no option for FCC, maybe things have changed?  Our claim was made in March and took about 4 months for the final reimbursement.

Edited by LACruiser88