Making Coffee

suebee53

I was able to bring my plastic hot pot on board several cruises for making coffee until it died. I now have a collapsible silicone water heater I'm hoping will also make it through security in Galveston. Has anyone had success with this? 

• Haha 1

These are a significant fire hazard aboard, along with hot plates and surge protected power strips.  Some lines issue tested/approved ones in suites, etc.  Carnival has tea kettles.  Years ago you sometimes not find self-service coffee/tea 24 hours a day someplace aboard.    I remember standing at 6:30 AM waiting for the door or rope to the buffet to open.    This seems to be mostly fixed.    

Edited by ew101

solutions:

1) Order room service.

2) Bring a camping type French Press and either get hot water from room service or via the Lido. Also bring cleaning equipment and small trash bags for grounds.

3) Suck it up Buttercup.  You're on vacay.  😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

solutions:

1) Order room service.

2) Bring a camping type French Press and either get hot water from room service or via the Lido. Also bring cleaning equipment and small trash bags for grounds.

3) Suck it up Buttercup.  You're on vacay.  😁

YEP, room service is available 24 hours, with a possible charge of course.

And this is what we brought, which I suppose is a camping style French press.  
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02835-Single-Coffee-Maker/dp/B00HIXSAXQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24NMF8280L2OZ&keywords=Presto+02835+MyJo®+Single+Cup+Coffee+Maker%2C+Black&qid=1656177063&sprefix=presto+02835+myjo+single+cup+coffee+maker%2C+black%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1

We brought Keurig cups to use with that.
You will still need the hot water from Room Service, but maybe that might be available 24 hours in the Lido buffet even when the food lines are closed?   I know I can make hot chocolate there after hours. 

Edited by CarolSW

4 hours ago, suebee53 said:

I now have a collapsible silicone water heater I'm hoping will also make it through security in Galveston. 

So you're announcing that you're bringing a prohibited item on board to use in your cabin and looking for other violators for advice. The advice for you is: don't do this, there are good reasons why they are prohibited. The cabins are not wired for these units. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

So you're announcing that you're bringing a prohibited item on board to use in your cabin and looking for other violators for advice. The advice for you is: don't do this, there are good reasons why they are prohibited. The cabins are not wired for these units. 

Yep, you're right. I'll just bring thermos cups and get hot water from the Lido deck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unless you want in room coffee between 10 PM and 6am- it is totally free from room service. On our recent cruise, I called room service the night before and told them a time- the coffee showed up on time. They will just leave it by the door if you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Unless you want in room coffee between 10 PM and 6am- it is totally free from room service. On our recent cruise, I called room service the night before and told them a time- the coffee showed up on time. They will just leave it by the door if you want. 

So no tip for the delivery???????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wake up very early (between 4 AM and 5 AM) and want coffee quickly.  My wife sleeps in till a normal wake up time for most folks.  So that rules out room service for me since a knock on the cabin door is akin to poking a sleeping bear.  😆

The fact that NCL has a coffee maker in balcony cabins and above is the reason the majority of our cruises have been with them.  However, I have decided to spread my wings and try other cruise lines again and my next three cruises are with Carnival, Princess, and Holland in that order.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, Oakman58 said:

I wake up very early (between 4 AM and 5 AM) and want coffee quickly.  My wife sleeps in till a normal wake up time for most folks.  So that rules out room service for me since a knock on the cabin door is akin to poking a sleeping bear.  😆

The fact that NCL has a coffee maker in balcony cabins and above is the reason the majority of our cruises have been with them.  However, I have decided to spread my wings and try other cruise lines again and my next three cruises are with Carnival, Princess, and Holland in that order.

I put clothes in the bathroom and quietly leave. Love the early mornings on lido decks. When we did princess they had a coffee card and on the star a international Cafe that was awesome. 

DH suggested a MRE Flameless Ration heater.  Instead of electricity, it utilizes a chemical reaction to heat water, so I think it would be acceptable on a ship.  If not allowed, I withdraw the suggestion.  DH has utilized the heater globally to have an instant cup of coffee when he wanted it, since no room service typically available.  I think this style of coffee will also put a lot of hair on your chest, too.   

11 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

DH suggested a MRE Flameless Ration heater.  Instead of electricity, it utilizes a chemical reaction to heat water, so I think it would be acceptable on a ship.  If not allowed, I withdraw the suggestion.  DH has utilized the heater globally to have an instant cup of coffee when he wanted it, since no room service typically available.  I think this style of coffee will also put a lot of hair on your chest, too.   

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The coffee machine on the lick deck are on and working 24/7. I try all of the machines as I notice a difference in temperature and strength ( you can pick the size of the cup 

I also bring a thermal cup so my coffee stays hot.  

Fyi A friend has a French press thermal mug he travels with around the world and brings his own ground coffee   you can get hot water from the lick deck machines or order both coffee and hot water from room service to keep all of their our options open

On 6/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Oakman58 said:

The fact that NCL has a coffee maker in balcony cabins and above is the reason the majority of our cruises have been with them.

We really liked that feature on NCL. We're early risers, but when we're on vacation we don't know exactly when that will be so we don't like to order room service coffee for a specific time. We bring travel mugs and head up to the Lido when we're ready. 

I may be in the minority here but I have found the coffee on the Freedom (late 2021) and the Vista (2022) to be much better than in the past.  And that is for room service, Lido deck self service and the MDR.  I use french vanilla creamers so discount my input accordingly!  Other ships may vary!!  LOL  🙂

Edited by Gumbo4Life

On 7/15/2022 at 11:49 PM, Gumbo4Life said:

I may be in the minority here but I have found the coffee on the Freedom (late 2021) and the Vista (2022) to be much better than in the past.  And that is for room service, Lido deck self service and the MDR.  I use french vanilla creamers so discount my input accordingly!  Other ships may vary!!  LOL  🙂

I agree. In the past the coffee gave me heartburn to my kneecaps. Now it's nowhere near as strong. I used to despise coffee on Carnival. Now I like it. I don't know what's changed since COVID with regards to the coffee - but I for one appreciate the change. Maybe they switched from Maxwell House to Equate.