Cruising Cunard with carry on bags only

sandancer

Ah, yes, Jean Plaidy! I never liked historical novels, but many of my friends devoured them. Mind you, there was not that much else to do at boarding school. Sorry, Hattie, I'm afraid we are drifting from the point. But I do always pack books, for when the library books have to go back.

If I were in this position I'd take one very lightweight black polyester dress (won't wrinkle) and different suites of jewelry so it would look different every evening.  For shoes...one pair of sparkly lightweight sandals.

No advice for what a man should do.....other than make a trip to the mall.

• Like 2

I can see how that could work but there are 3 gala evenings so my DH definitely needs at the very least a dark suit if not a DJ. We will have to accommodate his needs and I’m going to take very, very lightweight dresses. The beaded and sequinned dress for “roaring 20’s gala night will be staying behind however. 

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I can see how that could work but there are 3 gala evenings so my DH definitely needs at the very least a dark suit if not a DJ. We will have to accommodate his needs and I’m going to take very, very lightweight dresses. The beaded and sequinned dress for “roaring 20’s gala night will be staying behind however. 

Can't  he wear the suite for the flight?

23 hours ago, TexasKrysia said:

do you have experience with any of the luggage forwarding companies? Initially was interested just post cruise, but now am considering both ways

Not recent I'm afraid 

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Extraordinary. I can't imagine living In a house cluttered up with all these. By the way, this is totally hypocritical, as we have thousands of books, even though you can only read one at a time. But at least they save on wallpaper.

Any clutter is in wardrobes, drawers and cupboards. We just have lots of them.

You can't leave anything out unless you want the cats to play with it. 🐈🐈

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

10/11 hour flight. Don’t think so. We’ll have to think of some other way. 

He doesn't need to wear it for the flight - just onto the plane - the jacket can then go in the overhead - and he can swap the trousers for trackpants for the duration 

There’s an easy way to reduce your clothing allotment. Suggest you may wish to dig out your old RAF uniform but with two cummerbunds. Medals are de rigeur on formal nights but suggest you may want to wear your ribbons on the flight.

That leaves all your luggage space for the important person in your family.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

How about this....two men flying from USA to London for a long weekend before going to Southampton for the crossing (18 October) back to the USA.  Since we're flying into LHR and taking the Tube to our hotel, plus taking the train from London - Southampton, plus going from Red Hook back to Newark Airport where our car will be, we just want to have carry on luggage (plus backpacks).  We will each have dark suits, sports jackets, and acceptable shoes/shirts, etc.

We've never done this before.  Do you think it all can be done with just carryon luggage?  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:27 PM, TexasKrysia said:

do you have experience with any of the luggage forwarding companies? Initially was interested just post cruise, but now am considering both ways

We did it through Cunard recently and it was terrific. Will certainly do it again

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KnightrosDad said:

How about this....two men flying from USA to London for a long weekend before going to Southampton for the crossing (18 October) back to the USA.  Since we're flying into LHR and taking the Tube to our hotel, plus taking the train from London - Southampton, plus going from Red Hook back to Newark Airport where our car will be, we just want to have carry on luggage (plus backpacks).  We will each have dark suits, sports jackets, and acceptable shoes/shirts, etc.

We've never done this before.  Do you think it all can be done with just carryon luggage?  

yes it can. We definitely over-packed for our recent cruise and have discussed this very idea. We managed 3 weeks by train around Andalusia a few years ago with hand luggage only (in fact, it made it much easier) so it wouldn't take much more to do a cruise. Shoes would be my problem though! 

Just have to say that the TITLE of this thread made my heart take a thump--and not in a good way. More like "What? How would that be possible?"

Having said that, if you are really stuck, go to the front desk and ask very nicely if they have a closet of leftover items.  Last cruise on QM2 hubby forgot to pack a jacket for dinner (but he had his tux!). After checking out the shop, I said "Hotels often have a box of items that guests have left (usually many cell phone chargers)--let's ask."  He was doubtful.

Sure enough, the person we happened to ask was the "keeper of the closet. " She was delighted to take us behind the curtain and let us choose from a good selection of men's and women's apparel.  He found a lovely sportscoat that  fit him that he used throughout the cruise.  She even said we could keep it, but we didn't 🙂

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 2