We hit something.

jskinsd

On 6/28/2022 at 11:13 PM, fstuff1 said:

a few years ago, a big cargo container ship ran into a Navy destroyer and made a big dent in it's armored hull.

And 3 sailors on the destroyer died 😞

so apparently unlimited funding wasn't enough 😮

armored hulls went the way of the Dodo when missiles came about.

There were actually 2 navy ship/tanker collisions recently.  USS McCain and USS Fitzgerald.  Both resulted in deaths.  In both cases the cargo ships did hit the Navy ships but it was the fault of the Navy ships, not the tankers.  Just in the last few weeks it was determined that the McCain was actually 80% responsible for the collision.  And they were more than just dents, the McCain's hull was sliced open.

Edited by bstel

Probably docked in Victoria because the ship made good enough time down from Alaska to comply with the PVSA while still Docking in Seattle in time for regular disembarkation.

The Esquimalt Graving Dock in Victoria is the largest dry dock on the west coast (hard bottomed), it is not a military dock. It has been used for cruise ship repair and refurbishment but I can't see the Sun booked in at present (not saying it will not be used if a dry dock is needed, just no booking visible).

Hope all goes well for those disembarking and sorry to those who will miss their upcoming cruise(s).

Cheers, h

1 hour ago, Muffin Slayer said:

That’s what happened when they drive the ship when they cant see what is in front of them,  very foggy.  God bless nobody was killed.

Even if the ship was stopped, waiting for fog to clear, and the videos don't show a lot of fog, the growler could still have struck the ship, it is moving as well.  This has happened before.

1 hour ago, Muffin Slayer said:

Like that Concordia.  So many were killed in such shallow water. Could have happened the same thing, just worse.

Not at all like the Concordia.  Big difference between a free floating chunk of ice and an outcropping of Italian granite.  And people lost their lives for one reason only, and it wasn't that the ship had torn a hole in the side.  It was because Schettino acted in a completely irresponsible manner, and did not muster the passengers when he knew the ship was sinking (about 7 minutes after striking), and could have had the passengers and most of the crew away long before the ship grounded again on Giglio Island (which is when she started to roll over), which was an hour and three quarters later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@jskinsd

I have just read your letter again.

image.png.aa064b3145b5ac8406ff8297e09d2e97.png

I do NOT see that there is a value limit on the FCC in the letter.

Find the LONGEST cruise you can find time for and use the 100% FCC  to book the Haven or the most expensive suite.   All you will pay are the taxes etc and the DSC.

Do it as soon as it appears on July 7th

All the best; good luck

Mike

18 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Well at least my saga ends.  Back home in San Diego.  Looking for my next journey.  Can't wait to use my FCC.✌️

Glad you're home! Hope you get a smoother sail next time!

If you paid any of the costs of this cruise with a credit card and the expiry date of the cruise card has passed then YOU have to CONTACT NCL to inform them of the new expiry date.   They will try to refund the money; it will be returned and they then do NOTHING!!!

I have had this happen twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

@jskinsd

I have just read your letter again.

image.png.aa064b3145b5ac8406ff8297e09d2e97.png

I do NOT see that there is a value limit on the FCC in the letter.

Find the LONGEST cruise you can find time for and use the 100% FCC  to book the Haven or the most expensive suite.   All you will pay are the taxes etc and the DSC.

Do it as soon as it appears on July 7th

All the best; good luck

Mike

Doesn't 100% FCC mean 100% of the fare they paid for the cancelled cruise?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Do you have a link to the photo?  That would be very interesting.

Thanks!

GC

3 hours ago, SakeDad said:

Where did you see the picture?

This is a link with pictures of the damage above the waterline. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10969307/amp/Damage-Norwegian-cruise-ship-crashed-iceberg-Alaska-seen-time.html

Edited by cigar connoisseur
  • Thanks 1