Birth registration card vs Birth certificate???

mouche

Are these the same and has anyone ever travel with a birth registration card? One of our travel mates is using this as proof of birth, Carnival's site does say Original birth certificate or birth certificate card. Would hate for him to get turned away at the port, thanks for your help as the wait on the phone is too long.

An article I read said that a birth certificate card is basically a receipt showing that the birth has been properly registered with the state and that the card does not constitute legal proof of identity. 

I would think it safer to obtain a traditional birth certificate if possible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Interesting question.   My friend Mr Google says a birth registration card is NOT proof of identity.

Right, and I have printed that also and showed it to him, now I will show him these replies and if he still does not understand, I will let it go and let him take his chances. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mouche said:

Right, and I have printed that also and showed it to him, now I will show him these replies and if he still does not understand, I will let it go and let him take his chances. 

Make sure he has a way to get home from the port when he is turned away.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mouche said:

Are these the same and has anyone ever travel with a birth registration card? One of our travel mates is using this as proof of birth, Carnival's site does say Original birth certificate or birth certificate card. Would hate for him to get turned away at the port, thanks for your help as the wait on the phone is too long.

Personally. I would not risk the cruise over something even a little questionable. I would order a new birth certificate from my birth state's vital records so I would have the proper paper work.

• Like 2

Best to have an actual paper copy of the birth certificate.  Th ship's Documentation Officer might be the one making the final decision regarding the birth registration card.  Or, the guy may have to call his mom and ask her to send a picture of his birth certificate via cell phone to the pier so  it can be printed out and used as his travel documentation. 

He really needs to arrive more prepared.  Not worth taking chances within hours of a ship sailing.

I have read on here that there are a few states that issued a card form of the birth certificate and it was used successfully to cruise.  Mr. Google showed me that at one time Florida and Iowa did this, but I’m not sure they still do.  I do know that to many years I used a paper that was titled Notification of Birth Registration.  It got me into the army twice, and my first passport.  When it was time to retire and file for social security, I decided to get a birth certificate.  What came was a short form, that didn’t even have my parents name on it.  EM

If it is just a card form of a birth certificate it would work, but if it's just a glorified receipt probably not. All that is required is that it be issued by a government authority.

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Interesting question.   My friend Mr Google says a birth registration card is NOT proof of identity.

The birth certificate is used to prove citizenship, not identity. That is accomplished by the government issued ID that must be used with the birth certificate for those 16 and older.

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The birth certificate is used to prove citizenship, not identity. That is accomplished by the government issued ID that must be used with the birth certificate for those 16 and older.

Good to see your post my friend.  :  )

• Thanks 1

My mom was born in the 50s in Iowa.  Her official birth certificate looks like a folded index card.  It has all of the required information on it.  If my mom were to request an additional copy today, it would be the more common 8.5x11 piece of paper.

She used her index card birth certificate successfully on 6/15/02 on a cruise out of Tampa.  She has used a passport on all of her subsequent cruises.

Edited by Tiger0613

Although, according to Carnival's website, a Birth Certificate Card seems to be acceptable when used with another acceptable form of identification, personally I wouldn't recommend travelling with anything less than a passport.

https://www.carnival.com/help/1373

Traveling with a Birth Certificate AND Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.
  • Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only