Have You Noticed...Roll Calls Are Getting Very Sparse These Days?

Rick&Jeannie

It could be that people don't want to gather unnecessarily in any large groups indoors due to Covid. Going to a show is one thing but to get together just to chat might not be popular at this time. 

• Like 5

I miss the Roll Call meet-n-greets.    We met a solo and a couple in Alaska on the Island who went in together with us on a rental car in Skagway.   It totally made sense--not because you split up the rental cost (which is nothing), but because only one person drives and the rest can look out for mountain goats.

Edited by tetleytea
  • Like 1

We had a TA cruise booked and then we tacked on the first Caribbean cruise for that ship.  Our TA roll call is fairly active, but based on the roll call for the Caribbean cruise, I figure we are the only people on it!

• Haha 1

Our roll call is very busy 46 followers on the thread which has 1032 posts, over 43 pages. Someone set up a website for research etc and that lists 62 couple signed up. 

Which compared to my other roll call on the Celebrity Silhouette which is 2 pages long and 27  posts it seems to me to be hit and miss. 

The enchanted R.C. may be setting up a meeting but i'm not sure i will take part. I've been reading about all the rising cases and our ship is looking very full at the moment booking wise. So i'm not sure i'm ready for large gathering just yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daisyloo said:

We had a TA cruise booked and then we tacked on the first Caribbean cruise for that ship.  Our TA roll call is fairly active, but based on the roll call for the Caribbean cruise, I figure we are the only people on it!

We were once on a HAL cruise in which I joined a roll call. I was first and last to join after the cruiser who started it. He thought as we were the only 2 couples, both would be upgraded to suites. I joked back that with only 4 people sailing, they would probably cancel the cruise. Needless to say, we were both wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minikiss said:

Our roll call is very busy 46 followers on the thread which has 1032 posts, over 43 pages. Someone set up a website for research etc and that lists 62 couple signed up. 

Which compared to my other roll call on the Celebrity Silhouette which is 2 pages long and 27  posts it seems to me to be hit and miss. 

The enchanted R.C. may be setting up a meeting but i'm not sure i will take part. I've been reading about all the rising cases and our ship is looking very full at the moment booking wise. So i'm not sure i'm ready for large gathering just yet. 

fancy seeing you here! 😆 but yes, our Enchanted RC is a bit of a perfect storm for activity... a long cruise, "exotic" ports, multiple travel transfers for a lot of people, the rush to get things booked because it only opened for booking 4 months before sail, and lots of interest in private or small group tours because the Princess ones are so expensive. In comparison, my Alaska and CA Coast roll calls are very quiet, but they're much shorter itineraries too.

• Like 1

Our roll call for our scheduled cruise on the Enchanted in October is pretty much dead. Not a problem because Meet and Greets for our prior cruises have been a mixed bag at best. One that stands out was a repro cruise from San Juan to Brooklyn was pretty much a clique that sailed this cruise annually and did not welcome outsiders. The last one was a large gathering that had a good turnout of ship crew. Everyone sat there like a bump on a log and didn't interact with the crew or each other.  My wife and I tried to be social but the replies were curt and uncomfortable. 

I think there are several reasons for this:

1. People have been cruising less, although this may be changing.

2. People are hesitant to publicly post the exact dates that they will be away from home.  I know that I feel this way.

3. There are more venues to have these discussions.

4. You might not actually want to feel compelled to spend time with some people.  I think that there is more political partisanism than in the past and you'd hate to feel "stuck" with someone who might not share many of your views and values.  Didn't used to be that way so much, but it's a modern reality.

5. Covid.  You might want to distance yourself from others the best that you can on a cruise ship in order to remain healthy.

• Like 2

My response is I do not understand why several posters have focused on the M&G or expectations of sticking together, etc.  I primarily look to RC's to connect with others who are interested in small-group private tours.  Either join us or we join something of interest.  This is a great thing to have and is separate from any M&G or Slot Pull, etc, that may be organized.  Never been to a slot pull and not interested, thank you.

I suppose some newer folks might be shy since there is usually someone gathering names and wanting to know if you are coming to the M&G if one is organized.  These can be informative with attending crew.  Also, the last one we were on doing tours, we got to meet F2F the folks we would be on tours with.  Met new friends and it was fine.  Didn't mean hung out with the RC after that.

Also, some have mentioned political divisions.  Sheesh, I have yet to see any political posts in any of the RC's I have participated in.  Besides, political division has existed well before Covid and is just a thing in general.  I don't see it interfering with touring.  We look to tour with non-smokers and have never requested a political affiliation. 

• Like 7

I try to join all our rollcalls, mostly to gain intel., to learn the scoop.

I don't partcipate in the M&G's currently if posted, as those earlier Meet & greets that posted pictures with everybody with their masks Off? 

Turned us off, we won't go.

So I hope Rollcalls don't get Too Quiet.

We join RC to learn, but not join onboard these days.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:33 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I checked out a couple of roll calls.  The Alaska cruises are pretty tame.  My guess is that many are blue cc members who don't know about Cruise Critic. 

Certainly the case on my current Discovery Princess Alaska cruise ..... about 1/3 are blue, numbers get smaller until about 100 elite. 

38 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Certainly the case on my current Discovery Princess Alaska cruise ..... about 1/3 are blue, numbers get smaller until about 100 elite. 

Makes sense, always lots of newbies on Alaska cruises. Maybe because some people are like me and only need to do it once. Also, I have come across many people when I lived in northern rural areas who aren’t really into cruising as a whole but will take an Alaska cruise as a one time thing. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, Thrak said:

The best Roll Call I've ever been in was for our 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2017.

That was an amazing cruise, wasn't it? I joined my parents, sharing an inside cabin (and yes, we all lived to tell the tale 😉). 

One highlight for me was swimming in the South Pacific ocean, watching all the fish.  We also had a great time eating dinner on the Horizon Terrace one evening while cruising the Hawaiian Islands.  Good times.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:28 PM, PrincessLuver said:

Really not much new on old Princess except the fact that you can now wear shorts to the MDR on Formal Nights..... 🙂

Really, seems you are trying to stimulate activities, LOL!   I could care less, don't go to MDR anymore anyway. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:28 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Really not much new on old Princess except the fact that you can now wear shorts to the MDR on Formal Nights..... 🙂

Now that I didn't see.... at least on a formal night. Many did wear them on casual evenings to dinner but my husband though it was to cold. (and he actually enjoys it on the cool side)

We rarely participate in Rc Activities but love reading through them. I hope they don’t go away. We have meet people we had had the pleasure of  enjoining excursions with, as well as transportation to our hotels etc.

We are very liberal and rarely agree with many of the political views of some participants and yes, people get divisive. But I would hate to see thero calls go away. They are a great source of info not only on the ships, but also a way to share and relate info to new cruisers and people new to a certain cruise lines.

I am very appreciative of what I have learned through the years by joining rolls calls. 

• Like 1

The roll call for our recent Alaska Majestic cruise was very inactive, sorry to say. Perhaps it is the destination? On our Mediterranean cruise it was active (before Covid), as many exchanged tips on making group tours for independent tours to bring costs down. Haven’t seen anything like that on Roll Calls for Alaska. It was fun to meet and say hi to those you have corresponded with. But that was it.