ZUIDERDAM Food quality

Vanlinks99

I’m new to this line. I’m currently on a journey on this ship. I been with Royal, NCl on a separate journey. I wonder is this line the quality and variety is not up to par with others at the buffet. Do other see the same across the board  since the cruise season restarted for other ships. Love to hear others long term Hal cruise fans. 

I was on this ship the first two weeks of June.

I thought the food was, for the most part, pretty good.

I had breakfast in the buffet most days, usually a cooked-to-order egg with the usual sides, or a made-to-order omelet.  I also had room service a couple of mornings, which was on time and as ordered.

For lunch, I don't usually do the "usual" buffet.  I typically get a deli sandwich and chips, or have a nice salad custom-made to my liking.  I was tempted by the pasta bar, but that's just too heavy for lunch, and considering how I'm already eating much more high-calorie meals that I do typically, I stayed away.

Dinners were in the MDR.  I never have dinner from the buffet.  First week, I was solo.  Ate in the back overlooking the wake and viewing the gorgeous scenery.  Most of the food was good.  I had a lot of fish those two weeks!  The Club Orange duck entre was disappointing.  Tough and overcooked.  The shrimp and pasta CO was excellent.  The 2nd week, friends joined me and we sat every evening at the 4-top next to where I'd been the first week (same servers; who were excellent).  Again, food was mostly good.  I was disappointed with the Culinary Council menu.  Nothing really appealed to me.

Pinnacle Grill dinners both weeks were excellent.  Sel de Mer was disappointing.  Ordered lobster and got two small, overcooked, oversalted tails.  No comparison to the meal I had on Eurodam in November, which was excellent (Dover sole).

I don't sail RCI.  I've mostly sailed Carnival, but more recently have sailed HAL and MSC.  Had my first Celebrity cruise in April.  Food was good but can't say that it was markedly better than HAL.

It's all so subjective.  I might order a meal and be disappointed while the people at the table next to me might order the exact same thing and think it was great.  If I have one meal that I really think is underwhelming, that doesn't mean that the same dish is terrible across every ship in the fleet on every sailing!

5 minutes ago, Vanlinks99 said:

I did ncl cruise they had prime rib night. Not on yesterday menu. The closest is beef tenderloin which has no seasoning. I have found uncooked meat various time. 

Interesting. I was on the Zuiderdam at the end of April and had prime rib twice in 7 days. I was surprised, but very happy! Maybe there are supply chain issues from time to time?

• We were on the Rotterdam in March and the food in the buffet was excellent, we ate all our breakfast and lunch meals in the Lido but our dinners were in the MDR and the food was very good there also. I didn't like that there was a charge for shrimp cocktail and lobster was not served on the Gala nights. We also sailed on Princess and Celebrity recently and lobster was on the menu on Chic night and on Princess also, shrimp cocktail was available at no charge every night on both lines.

14 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have yet to go hungry on any ship.  

I agree with you,  Infact I was on Zuiderdam this year for 108 days.  The Lido head  chef was unbelievable, such a nice man.

He would do anything to make a guest happy . Even cook what ever you wanted himself. 

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 5

I was on the Zuiderdam in April of this year.  The food is a mix of "excellent" and "outstanding". 

I ate at the Lido, the MDR, and at Dive In (the burger place). 

What Gail / Marty said, above, is 100% true.  The Lido will do anything they can to make you happy.

---Matthew

Zuiderdam in early June  Koningsdam in April and May:  Overall food quality was better on the K. 

1. MDR on the K:  Salmon truly excellent, portions mostly small, but well plated, well cooked. Fresher, more finessed.

Z:  Salmon inferior cuts, but well cooked.  Food in was average but good, acceptable.  Ship was struggling with a lack of chefs, so that may have accounted for the lack of finesse.

2.   Pinnacle on the K:   apart for an overbearing hostess, excellent, superior service, food quality, plating and taste.

Z:  very good but serious evidence of over-salting just about everything. The one lunch was a disaster, undercooked, just lukewarm.  Manager was mad enough to comp the meal.

3.  Lido on the K: a delight at lunch, abundant choices, very fresh and with much eye-appeal.

Z:  some of food was tired looking.  Asian bar was populated with a lot of meat only dishes, no vegetables. Also, food a bit tired looking.  Not nearly as much choice.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

2.   Pinnacle on the K:   apart for an overbearing hostess, excellent, superior service, food quality, plating and taste.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but just a quick question for @SilvertoGold:  I was on Kdam in March and April.  Was the PG hostess named Anastasia?  You don't have to answer if you don't want to (or if you didn't note her name).  I had to write my first-ever nastygram to Guest Relations about problems with her.  Yeah, first nastygram in 12 years of sailing on HAL, but she was that intolerable.

Back onto thread:  Next month will be my first cruise on Zuiderdam so I will be following this thread with great interest.

I spent two weeks aboard the Zuiderdam in April.  Since food quality is subjective, assigning an adjective will be left to others. 

The Taco Bar on Deck 9 was a great way to make a plate of nacho snacks.

The seared scallops in the Pinnacle Grill were not seared according to both myself and another table's guests. 

Kudos to the Lido Market Buffet Manager and the crew at the Late Snack for their willingness to make anything for you.  I always had chips available at the Late Snack.

Another vote for the prime rib.

Here are your menus :  MDR Menus

5 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but just a quick question for @SilvertoGold:  I was on Kdam in March and April.  Was the PG hostess named Anastasia?  You don't have to answer if you don't want to (or if you didn't note her name).  I had to write my first-ever nastygram to Guest Relations about problems with her.  Yeah, first nastygram in 12 years of sailing on HAL, but she was that intolerable.

Back onto thread:  Next month will be my first cruise on Zuiderdam so I will be following this thread with great interest.

On the Kdam last 3 weeks of April and all of May. Didn't get her name, but I am sure this was the one.  (She was a Pinnacle waiter on the Westerdam before Covid.) My DH refused to return after 2 dinners.  Too personal, too much attention, too much fawning over the pax (mostly DH). HAL lost a fair amount of $$ from us there.

What problems did you encounter?  Glad you wrote to Gust Relations: any response?  I didn't bother, but likely should have.  The lady running Sel was great, we enjoyed that experience and the MDR was over-the-top wonderfully accommodating and professional.

I know a lot of people have dinner in the buffet.  That's their choice.  Me, I don't get it.  Part of the "fun" of cruising has always been to shower, dress, have a before-dinner drink, then a nice, relaxing, relatively-elegant dinner in the MDR.  Even when I'm solo.  Now that people can do Anytime Dining, you can do that to fit your schedule.

But, hey, if you prefer a buffet, I can't help with the food choices or quality.  With close to 50 cruises now, I've never had dinner in the buffet and have no plans to start.  All of my above comments were for dinners in the MDR. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I know a lot of people have dinner in the buffet.  That's their choice.  Me, I don't get it.  Part of the "fun" of cruising has always been to shower, dress, have a before-dinner drink, then a nice, relaxing, relatively-elegant dinner in the MDR.  Even when I'm solo.  Now that people can do Anytime Dining, you can do that to fit your schedule.

But, hey, if you prefer a buffet, I can't help with the food choices or quality.  With close to 50 cruises now, I've never had dinner in the buffet and have no plans to start.  All of my above comments were for dinners in the MDR. 

I don’t get it either.  I’m not sure why people want to eat in a cafeteria.  I’d be delighted to never step foot in the lido.  Unfortunately that’s not reality.

• Like 2

We were on the Zuiderdam June 15-22, inside passage.  This was one of the best cruises we have ever done and we thought the food was exceptionally good in the main dining room.  I had the salmon 4 times, different preparation every time and excellent.  Had tenderloin once, very good.  Halibut twice, once in Pinnacle (okay) and the last night in the MDR for the culinary council dinner and it was wonderful, far better than the Pinnacle.  Hubby had salmon a couple times, tenderloin once and prime rib twice - great.  We were not impressed with Pinnacle this time, strip loin not tender and sides to share - barely enough for one person.  For the price it was not worth it.

We did the Lido for lunch and some breakfasts and it was pretty good, lots of variety.  Service on board was fantastic - crew are happy to be back and it shows.  It's an older ship without all the bells and whistles of the new ones but we enjoyed every minute and would go back in a heartbeat!

14 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

...I was tempted by the pasta bar, but that's just too heavy for lunch, and considering how I'm already eating much more high-calorie meals that I do typically, I stayed away.

For future HAL cruises: We eat low-carb at home and try not to go overboard on cruises. I love the pasta bar, so fresh. I have them double up on the veggies and some meat, then half or smaller on the noodle-of-the-day. 

Today they pushed a new low. They don’t know what’s the difference with fish and beef at the buffet. I end up no choice but speak to head chef on duty. 

on the flip side, the fish Artic char were cooked spot on. The Indian food been on spot on days I tried them.

seems the kitchen has very inconsistent on the quality. 

i will not add more comments to this thread. I’ll certainly let the guest relations know. 

Edited by Vanlinks99

4 minutes ago, Vanlinks99 said:

Today they pushed a new low. They don’t know what’s the difference with fish and beef at the buffet. I end up no choice but speak to head chef on duty. 

i will not add more comments to this thread. I’ll certainly let the guest relations know. 

I strongly suggest you skip Guest Relations and use your smartphone Navigator app, 'Account' tab at the bottom, and then choose the 'Let Us Know' tab.  Complete the Comments field.  Your complaint will be blasted to all ship management and I can assure you that both a response will be quickly given and corrective action taken without dealing with the Guest Relations filter.

On the same token, taking a few moments to commend a crew member when you get excellent service will make them really grateful and earn them rewards.  I carry a small pocket notebook, ask crew member's names, and post a kudo for them with the Navigator app as soon as I get a chance.  You will make a crew member's day and they will go out of their way to greet you for the rest of your cruise

• Like 3