Laundry in cabin tips

GloriaF

We are elite, but did not use the laundry service on the 7 day cruise.  Instead we washed out a few things like undies and base layer nylon shirts in the cabin.  The shower gel provided worked well.  After wringing all possible water out, place item in a towel and twist to get more moisture out.  Hang on wooden hangers above refrigerator and under tv to dry, it is by far the warmest spot.  We found all was dry by morning.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GloriaF said:

Hang on wooden hangers above refrigerator and under tv to dry, it is by far the warmest spot. 

Minor note: Not all cabins have this layout arrangement...but your tips are appreciated.  We *generally* just spring to send ours out and get it back the next day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Minor note: Not all cabins have this layout arrangement...but your tips are appreciated.  We *generally* just spring to send ours out and get it back the next day.

Good point!  I suppose the layout changes according to cabin categories.  We always book a balcony, and the layout is the same fleet wide it would seem.

I understand not bothering with laundry and sending it out, but I can't imagine sending my undies out ! 

Edited by GloriaF
  • Haha 2

I always pack a tiny bottle of dish soap for washing my intimates in the cabin, just in case. (Or washing anything else that is too icky) I'm not used to these new-fangled ships with washing machines; it's going to be a thrill to be able to use the laundromat on our next cruise. 😉

I normally do laundry (in laundry room) on every cruise. Yup, am a bit OCD 🙄 . There can be some confrontations in there over machines. I like to take care of things during off times, 5-6pm (we like late dinner), or first thing in morning while we’re getting ready for bfast. Absolutely avoid on sea days! Never sent out to ship laundry. 

I know this is too much information, but I normally take this opportunity to take my old undies and just throw them away rather than worry about washing them.  Then I just buy new undies and start the process all over again.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

I know this is too much information, but I normally take this opportunity to take my old undies and just throw them away rather than worry about washing them.  Then I just buy new undies and start the process all over again.  

Candy4040,

I love it !! 🥰 Good way of getting rid of the old underwear 😁😁😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

On 7/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, GloriaF said:

Good point!  I suppose the layout changes according to cabin categories.  We always book a balcony, and the layout is the same fleet wide it would seem.

I understand not bothering with laundry and sending it out, but I can't imagine sending my undies out ! 

I do...but I don't wear lacy stuff...strictly grannies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only Mini-suites and higher have bathtubs.  The shower cubicle (yes, small) has a pull out laundry string.  I've never used it.  I can't imagine anything drying in that humid space.

There is a HVAC vent in the bathroom. Just make sure it is fully open, and the door open and clothes hung on the line in the shower stall dry very quickly.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

We simply over pack, so we don't run out and need to use the laundry, cleaning or wash anything out.   Works out well when going from our homeport of San Francisco.   LOL 

With the ongoing dumpster fire that is the aviation industry right now, we're doing this cruise STRICTLY carry-on only, in hopes that at least some of our clothing and underwear makes it on the boat with us and isn't trailing around after taking it's own grand tour. 

(Sadly, I'm saying this despite being on a direct intra-EU flight to our embarkation port. Take care, folks, it's gross out there.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pris993 said:

We simply over pack, so we don't run out and need to use the laundry, cleaning or wash anything out.   Works out well when going from our homeport of San Francisco.   LOL 

I bet you have never taken a 30 day or longer cruise unless you really overpack.

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only Mini-suites and higher have bathtubs.  The shower cubicle (yes, small) has a pull out laundry string.  I've never used it.  I can't imagine anything drying in that humid space.

You are right. We tried it last cruise and nothing dried at all. We just went back to discreetly hanging stuff on the back of the chairs out on the balcony. 

Edited by leck57
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, brisalta said:

There is a HVAC vent in the bathroom. Just make sure it is fully open, and the door open and clothes hung on the line in the shower stall dry very quickly.

I assume you are referring to the round vent usually over the sink.  After all our cruises on Princess, I never realized (or even tried) that the bathroom vents were adjustable.  Are they operated like the air vents on an airplane? 

7 hours ago, caribill said:

I bet you have never taken a 30 day or longer cruise unless you really overpack.

Haven't taken a 30 day cruise but have traveled internationally for 30 days, yes we over pack.   

8 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

With the ongoing dumpster fire that is the aviation industry right now, we're doing this cruise STRICTLY carry-on only, in hopes that at least some of our clothing and underwear makes it on the boat with us and isn't trailing around after taking it's own grand tour. 

(Sadly, I'm saying this despite being on a direct intra-EU flight to our embarkation port. Take care, folks, it's gross out there.)

Understand your concerns.  I have no plans to fly anywhere anytime soon.  Aviation is a mess right now.  Direct flights are the way to go if you can do it.   

9 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

An Air Canada passenger who deliberately took only a carry-on to avoid luggage chaos says she was made to check the bag anyway, only for it to go missing.

https://news.yahoo.com/air-canada-passenger-deliberately-took-111900057.html

2 hours ago, caribill said:

An Air Canada passenger who deliberately took only a carry-on to avoid luggage chaos says she was made to check the bag anyway, only for it to go missing.

https://news.yahoo.com/air-canada-passenger-deliberately-took-111900057.html

I really wish I was surprised by that, but it is a HOT MESS out there in airport land right now. If I could walk, bike or canoe to our departure port, I probably would... 

9 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I assume you are referring to the round vent usually over the sink.  After all our cruises on Princess, I never realized (or even tried) that the bathroom vents were adjustable.  Are they operated like the air vents on an airplane? 

No, they are operated like an air vent on a ship. 😉

Edited by brisalta
  • Haha 1