Never heard this before re upgrading drink package ?

Josie201

After trying all week, I finally got through today.  But, it wasn't exactly what I had hoped to hear or complete.

I have a B2B scheduled on Edge for this November, a four night and a ten night.

She wanted to deal with each reservation separately which is fine.

For the four night, she quoted me a $9 per night upgrade charge, plus gratuity.  She said this reflected my 10% Elite discount.  I said I thought the discount was supposed to be 15% but she said no that's only if I bought it without the Always Included.  Didn't sound right to me but I was happy with the $9 per night charge as I had thought it had increased.

Then we got to the ten night cruise.  This one was for some reason $10.60 per night.  She said the per night charge was higher for the longer cruises.  I said I had never heard this before.  She checked with a supervisor and confirmed.

In any event, I'm comfortable with the per night charge but has anyone ever heard about different rates for shorter/longer cruises?  I have received confirmation of my first order but not my second.  I hope I don't have to call again.

No, I've never heard of this. It is a set charge + gratuity per person/per day. The price difference of $1.60 is the 18% gratuity.  Doesn't look like it was added to the first booking but maybe quoted with the 2nd booking.  Or, if the bookings were not made at the same time they could be basing the upgrade amount on the original price vs the current price.The new benefits are 10% discount on upgraded beverage packages for Elite & Elite+. 5% for lower levels.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the discounted rate of the Always Included package - meaning that the per diem rate is less than what a Classic package would normally cost - with the discount being greater on a longer cruise. 🤔

5 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Premium Package cost $84 per person per day and Classic Package cost $69 per person per day

So the Upgrade is the difference $15 per person per day plus Gratuity  20% = $18

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

So --- the OP should be elated with $9-10.60 pp per night.    I know I would. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Josie201 said:

After trying all week, I finally got through today.  But, it wasn't exactly what I had hoped to hear or complete.

I have a B2B scheduled on Edge for this November, a four night and a ten night.

She wanted to deal with each reservation separately which is fine.

For the four night, she quoted me a $9 per night upgrade charge, plus gratuity.  She said this reflected my 10% Elite discount.  I said I thought the discount was supposed to be 15% but she said no that's only if I bought it without the Always Included.  Didn't sound right to me but I was happy with the $9 per night charge as I had thought it had increased.

Then we got to the ten night cruise.  This one was for some reason $10.60 per night.  She said the per night charge was higher for the longer cruises.  I said I had never heard this before.  She checked with a supervisor and confirmed.

In any event, I'm comfortable with the per night charge but has anyone ever heard about different rates for shorter/longer cruises?  I have received confirmation of my first order but not my second.  I hope I don't have to call again.

Just a quick question, if I may. 

Were you able to upgrade your beverage package prior to make your final payment on the cruise or did you proceed with the final payment and then called Celebrity to upgrade? 

The reason for asking, I would be interested in upgrading our package for a cruise in 2023 and one in 2024. Upgrading early, would make it easier to budget and protect against future cost increases.

20 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Yes, I have read  that rates for beverage packages can vary depending on cruise itinerary (length of cruise, ship, port of embarkation/debarkation, etc.)

This information is buried in the small print somewhere and is a common practice across the various cruise lines that I  cruise on.

46 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

Were you able to upgrade your beverage package prior to make your final payment on the cruise or did you proceed with the final payment and then called Celebrity to upgrade? 

The reason for asking, I would be interested in upgrading our package for a cruise in 2023 and one in 2024. Upgrading early, would make it easier to budget and protect against future cost increases.

Not the OP but yes you can do this but it has to done with a phone call as it is not available online until closer to the cruise date. I have done this for many cruises that were always booked quite a ways into the future ... unless this has changed but it wasn't that long ago since I've done this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cachouonacruise said:

To confirm what Poffles said - yes this was done prior to final payment. 

• Like 1