Help us decide Celebration or Mardi Gras 2023

3smithboys

DH and I just got back from an AMAZING b2b on the Mardi Gras. We are now looking to book a cruise for next summer. Since we are teachers, we are restricted on when we can go.

We narrowed down our choices to 2 cruises- 

8 day southern on the Celebration- stopping at Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao 

8 day eastern on the Mardi Gras- stopping at San Juan, St Martin, Amber Cove, Grand Turk 

We have never done a southern cruise before and have been to 3 out of the 4 ports on the eastern cruise. The price for both is almost the same- the Celebration was about $250 less than the Mardi Gras- both balcony cabins. 

Thanks for any input/advice!

I would go for the 8 day on Celebration especially since you say you have never done a southern caribbean itinerary.  I just got off a 7 day on Mardi Gras that went to Amber Cove and Grand Turk and spent very little time in those ports.  I would definitely choose the ABC's over them if given the choice.

• Like 1

I'd pick the Celebration.  My vote is always for the southern Caribbean, especially if you visit all 3 of the ABC islands.  Also, the Celebration is a newer ship that will be slightly different from Mardi Gras, so you'll have new things to experience.  And it's slightly cheaper too?  For me, the choice would obviously be the Celebration.

• Like 2

For me I would prefer to go out of Miami as it is an easier port to get to, assuming you are flying anyway. So I would pick Celebration. Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao just makes the decision even easier. The Mardi Gras ports are certainly nice as well, but they're not as special as the southern Caribbean (and most would agree with that).

• Like 3

If you are flying, Miami is the better choice since the airport is much closer to the port than the trek from Orlando to Port Canaveral.  An added bonus is the beautiful sail way from Miami.

Celebration is the newer ship, and has the better itinerary.  I am with the other posters and would pick the Celebration (though we loved the Mardi Gras). And it is less expensive.   

• Like 1

Celebration all the way! I love the Southern itinerary, and it has 1 less port which means 1 more sea day to explore the ship. And if it is cheaper than MG for the same cabin, and a newer ship....well, for me it is hands down the winner!

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! We are going to be flying again and not having to deal with renting a car to get from Orlando is something else that I didn’t think about and will be nice. 

We have a hold on the Celebration now, and I think we will be putting that deposit down! It’s very exciting and a bit intimidating to be going to new places. I guess that might have been part of our hold up with going on the Southern- we know the other ports so we know what to do when we get there. But… we have a year to research 3 new places and get advice on fun excursions to try! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

Thanks everyone! We are going to be flying again and not having to deal with renting a car to get from Orlando is something else that I didn’t think about and will be nice. 

We have a hold on the Celebration now, and I think we will be putting that deposit down! It’s very exciting and a bit intimidating to be going to new places. I guess that might have been part of our hold up with going on the Southern- we know the other ports so we know what to do when we get there. But… we have a year to research 3 new places and get advice on fun excursions to try! 

According to PortMiami, the current rate for a taxi to/from PortMiami to MIA is $27. I feel like an Uber or Lyft is less expensive. And it's only about a 15 minute drive depending on traffic.

• Like 1

What a small world! My wife and I are both teachers. We also just finished a B2B on Mardi Gras last month and made the decision to book the ABC cruise on Celebration next summer.

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandman said:

What a small world! My wife and I are both teachers. We also just finished a B2B on Mardi Gras last month and made the decision to book the ABC cruise on Celebration next summer.

Bon Voyage!

Awesome! It is a small world! We had the best time on the Mardi Gras and can’t wait for next summer. 

We are with a lot of the others.  We would choose the Celebration for the itinerary.  We have done that itinerary before and loved it.  Though now, Carnival apparently only does Saturday-Sunday eight day cruises and we can't do two Sundays.  Our previous two eight day cruises were Friday-Saturday and you can't find those now on Carnival.  Either one will be great because you're on a cruise!  Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3smithboys said:

DH and I just got back from an AMAZING b2b on the Mardi Gras. We are now looking to book a cruise for next summer. Since we are teachers, we are restricted on when we can go.

8 day eastern on the Mardi Gras- stopping at San Juan, St Martin, Amber Cove, Grand Turk 

We have never done a southern cruise before and have been to 3 out of the 4 ports on the eastern cruise. The price for both is almost the same- the Celebration was about $250 less than the Mardi Gras- both balcony cabins. 

Celebration! Different ship for sure, but I am sure you will love that cruise and the ship.

• Like 1

I don’t envy you the decision.  Luckily we’re booked on both the Celebration & Mardi Gras in 2023 (January for Celebration & July for Mardi Gras).  Super excited to be able to experience them both 🙂

Have a great time regardless of which you choose!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tdggal1980 said:

I don’t envy you the decision.  Luckily we’re booked on both the Celebration & Mardi Gras in 2023 (January for Celebration & July for Mardi Gras).  Super excited to be able to experience them both 🙂

Have a great time regardless of which you choose!

That’s amazing! When we retire (in many years) we will be able to do multiple cruises in a year, and we can’t wait! We loved, loved, loved the Mardi Gras! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

That’s amazing! When we retire (in many years) we will be able to do multiple cruises in a year, and we can’t wait! We loved, loved, loved the Mardi Gras! 

We’re not retired but have older children (14 &17) and my parents live with us so it gives us a bit of flexibility.  January is DH & I only as our anniversary is in January & July is with family.  It’s going to be extra special as my oldest will have just graduated from high school!

I have heard such great things about the Mardi Gras and hoping my boys love it (since it has all the bells and whistles!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3smithboys said:

Celebration

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tdggal1980 said:

We’re not retired but have older children (14 &17) and my parents live with us so it gives us a bit of flexibility.  January is DH & I only as our anniversary is in January & July is with family.  It’s going to be extra special as my oldest will have just graduated from high school!

I have heard such great things about the Mardi Gras and hoping my boys love it (since it has all the bells and whistles!)

They will love it! There is so much for them to do, they and you will never be bored and we especially loved all of the food choices. We ate in the main dining room 1x over the 2-weeks because we found so many other places to eat.

This was our 1st cruise without our kids. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary, and they are 23, 19, & 19. They were all busy so they said go without us- didn’t have to tell us twice!