PACIFIC EXPLORER, covid.

Just watching headline news on Ch7, a number of covid cases on Pacific Explorer.

What say ye? Fair dinkum or more media hype?

Edited by NSWP

She is now amber on the NSW covid site.  Read that there were 28 positive on board and that P&O have asked passengers who will be boarding tomorrow to come 1 hour later than their previous stated times.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Just watching headline news on Ch7, a number of covid cases on Pacific Explorer.

What say ye? Fair dinkum or more media hype?

The numbers are fair dinkum, but there has been 10+ positives on every Aussie P&O and Princess cruise so far. 28 positives is unlucky, as a couple of cases less wouldn't have triggered the amber status, and we wouldn't be looking at another round of headlines.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ondine said:

She is now amber on the NSW covid site.  Read that there were 28 positive on board and that P&O have asked passengers who will be boarding tomorrow to come 1 hour later than their previous stated times.

Actually, redoing the numbers in my head, there would also have to be 50+ crew to trigger amber, if the 28 passenger number is correct.

PS: It could also be based on unlinked clusters, so might not be about total numbers alone.

Edited by arxcards
PS
  • Like 2

Protocols require pos pax to go into hotel quarantine if travelling home by public transport, paid for by cruiseline. I fear some pos pax will swear they are travelling home by private transport to avoid quarantine.

Am I correct re this, do not wish to get crucified  again by the  CC disciples.lol.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Protocols require pos pax to go into hotel quarantine if travelling home by public transport, paid for by cruiseline. I fear some pos pax will swear they are travelling home by private transport to avoid quarantine.

Am I correct re this, do not wish to get crucified  again by the  CC disciples.lol.

Would they be the same people who decide that they don't need to actually do a RAT just say they were negative and who think the onboard mask mandates don't apply to them? 

If so, judging by what I saw on the cruise we did re the latter, there could be a few like that.

• Like 5

I would think it would be reasonable if one was getting public transport home within the local area, then they would be able to transport them home (no different than the cruise line transporting them to the quarantine hotel).

We live in Sydney, catch public transport to the airport/cruise terminal, it would seem ludicrous to make a similar group of passengers quarantine in a hotel if home is less than 30 minutes away. 

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Edited by gogo65

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not sure Les, the preference is to get them home if they live close enough to the port. I know Princess will try to shuttle you home, but never bothered on reading-up about P&O. Makes me wonder where I stand with either line in needing to get back to Newcastle. I guess we will cross that bridge when we need to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not sure Les, the preference is to get them home if they live close enough to the port. I know Princess will try to shuttle you home, but never bothered on reading-up about P&O. Makes me wonder where I stand with either line in needing to get back to Newcastle. I guess we will cross that bridge when we need to.

Princess announced that they would transport passengers with the virus to their home IF if was within two hours' driving time from the terminal. If they live further away, they are taken to a quarantine hotel to complete their quarantine. In both cases, it is at Princess' expense. I haven't read the fine details of P&O's COVID plan.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Would they be the same people who decide that they don't need to actually do a RAT just say they were negative and who think the onboard mask mandates don't apply to them? 

If so, judging by what I saw on the cruise we did re the latter, there could be a few like that.

You are spot on Julie.

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

When …… don’t you mean IF ? 😳

Maybe. We have 3 Princess cruises between now and the end of October, so we need to be smart and probably lucky as well. Two of them are 3 nighters, so I guess if we are healthy on, we should also be healthy off.

Hopefully IF though. I just don't feel like contacting Princess to see if we are close enough to the port for them to transport us home if it becomes a WHEN.

• Like 3

As usual Sir Geoffrey Arxcards you are to be commended for your articulate and accurate comment. I award thee the Carnival Corporation Gold Medallion with honours.🏅

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

I would think it would be reasonable if one was getting public transport home within the local area, then they would be able to transport them home (no different than the cruise line transporting them to the quarantine hotel).

We live in Sydney, catch public transport to the airport/cruise terminal, it would seem ludicrous to make a similar group of passengers quarantine in a hotel if home is less than 30 minutes away. 

Perhaps in that case paying for a private transfer would be best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Princess has said it will provide transport home to anyone who lives within two hours drive of the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess has said it will provide transport home to anyone who lives within two hours drive of the cruise terminal.

Princess yes, but P and O ?

My, how quickly channel nine has changed their brief now that they know pretty much everything is being done in line with government protocols. By the various media comments I have seen NSW government has not released the number reported to them by Pacific Explorer, but now they know how the colour system works, they are giving a ballpark number as to what they would be.

Much more balanced reporting - 

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/health/covid-19-cases-reported-on-second-cruise-ship/cl5p1j9eg000m0js8srd50gey

Edited by arxcards
'
  • Like 1