PACIFIC EXPLORER, covid.

32 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, CH9 did it again this morning.

ABC "COVID on board"

CH7 "COVID on board"

CH9 "Riddled" with COVID.

The old someone or something with something

or something that has now left the building...

But will it all end in tears ?? that is the question...

Cheers Don

• Like 1

I have a reply to this thread but it appears to be in the naughty corner. It's been there 17 hours now.

Not sure what I said that is so bad, I didn't abuse anyone or mention a TA🤔

Edited by joejoe 59
Oops double post

12 minutes ago, joejoe 59 said:

I have a reply to this thread but it appears to be in the naughty corner. It's been there 17 hours now.

Not sure what I said that is so bad, I didn't abuse anyone or mention a TA🤔

No, you didn't break it. That happens sometimes when there is a blip in their system, and when the post doesn't save properly, it sits in a queue until an admin gets around to manually approving it. Takes a few days sometimes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, CH9 did it again this morning.

ABC "COVID on board"

CH7 "COVID on board"

CH9 "Riddled" with COVID.

I am sure that there are covid cases within the ABC, CH7, CH9.

Plus every shopping centre, bus, train and aircraft  in Australia

But that's not news worthy.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

I am sure that there are covid cases within the ABC, CH7, CH9.

Plus every shopping centre, bus, train and aircraft  in Australia

But that's not news worthy.

Not newsworthy because it's not traceable. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Would they be the same people who decide that they don't need to actually do a RAT just say they were negative and who think the onboard mask mandates don't apply to them? 

If so, judging by what I saw on the cruise we did re the latter, there could be a few like that.

For our Holland America cruise it says to provide a medically authenticated test prior to boarding , I asked agent what that meant, but she said as the cruise not until November she can't say as it might change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sallyandtex said:

For our Holland America cruise it says to provide a medically authenticated test prior to boarding , I asked agent what that meant, but she said as the cruise not until November she can't say as it might change.

It sounds like HAL wants a supervised RAT, but (as the agent said) the protocols could change before your November cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Princess announced an altered set of rules for Australia when their restart here became apparent, in line with local protocols. A bit early yet for HAL to lock in their plans, as you say, lots can change.

A medical authorised test is otherwise known as a travellers test. You can have a PCR or RAT test done while supervised at a pathology site or your chemist. There is a fee attached to these tests, and a certificate is sent to you electronically to verify the test & result for the cruise line/airline/foreign country that requires it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

No, you didn't break it. That happens sometimes when there is a blip in their system, and when the post doesn't save properly, it sits in a queue until an admin gets around to manually approving it. Takes a few days sometimes.

Thanks for the explanation Geoff.

• Like 1

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that cruise lines are the only form of transport legally required to report their C-19 numbers? Hardly newsworthy is it

If anyone has friends or family living in Europe you'll know all about Airbus and Boeing aircon filters being washed on each turnover to limit the spread on aircraft which are spreading the virus like nobodies business at the moment.

7 hours ago, vegemeter said:

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that cruise lines are the only form of transport legally required to report their C-19 numbers?

Airlines are also required to report any sick passengers onboard prior to landing in Australia.

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

Airlines are also required to report any sick passengers onboard prior to landing in Australia.

Passengers on an aircraft can easily contract COVID, but they won't know about it for another couple of days. However, on a cruise ship where the passengers are on board for example five or seven days, an infection can easily show up while they are on board.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Passengers on an aircraft can easily contract COVID, but they won't know about it for another couple of days. However, on a cruise ship where the passengers are on board for example five or seven days, an infection can easily show up while they are on board.

So we should  make people stay on the plane for multiple days and then aircraft can be in the media as well. Oh hang on they have their own issues.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

So we should  make people stay on the plane for multiple days and then aircraft can be in the media as well. Oh hang on they have their own issues.

Ha! 🤣 We won't ever hear how many infections result from aircraft travel, or from visiting shopping centres, or from going to the football particularly the stacked stadium at the State of Origin. Unfortunately for the cruise industry, it is easy to calculate numbers when the pool of people who can be infected remain together for many days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vegemeter said:

Forgive me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression that cruise lines are the only form of transport legally required to report their C-19 numbers? Hardly newsworthy is it

If anyone has friends or family living in Europe you'll know all about Airbus and Boeing aircon filters being washed on each turnover to limit the spread on aircraft which are spreading the virus like nobodies business at the moment.

It is nothing new though. Cruise ships traditionally visit foreign ports, and have long been required to report numbers of respiratory illnesses and norwalk like viruses.

Yes, also a risk for any form of travel, but when you add the sharing of gyms, pools, food & bar areas etc for several days reporting is a necessary evil. Every chance you can catch it on a plane, and the longer the flight the higher the risk. A secondary spread isn't possible on a 20hr flight though.

100 cases on a 10 day cruise is certainly newsworthy, but it doesn't need the hyperbole and sensational headlines that try to make it much worse than it really is. Whether you get really sick from it or not, 1:20 people on cruise ships in Australia over the past couple of weeks have contracted covid. Yes, some prior to boarding, but plenty have caught it aboard, and there are extra unreported numbers for others testing positive after returning home. It is important to know there is an elevated risk, but the cruise lines communicating that prior to boarding anyway.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Avoid those 'Flying Petri Dishes,' lol. They sneak into Sydney Airport under cover of Cloud.'🤣

• Haha 8

56 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has stopped reporting coronavirus levels for cruise ships in U.S. waters" Source Washington Post

Will Australia will go down the same path? Time will tell.

CDC has run that program for over a year, so I guess we have a ways to go. 

CDC may no longer be reporting their levels via green, yellow, orange, red, grey - but the cruise ships still have protocols to follow, and they still report their numbers to the arrival port and the CDC.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, arxcards said:

Expected. Time for Karl to walk the plank? Mutinous scurvy dog!!

On 7/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, arxcards said:

Expected. Time for Karl to walk the plank? Mutinous scurvy dog!!

I thought Karl was a mate of yours? Lol. He certainly is anti cruise ship. Kochie is much the same. Cannot stand either, I prefer the Abc bods.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I thought Karl was a mate of yours? Lol. He certainly is anti cruise ship. Kochie is much the same. Cannot stand either, I prefer the Abc bods.

The bloke is very opiniated, but his opinion is based on whoever is paying for it, and generally he is a prat.

Sometimes he is pro cruise though. Around a decade ago, a freebie junket on QM2, how awesome is this. Pacific Pearl cruises past - gee, looks like the size of one of our lifeboats. A few years later on Pacific Aria for the 5 ships in Sydney harbour - how awesome is this massive P&O cruise ship.

I reckon Carnival Australia should offer the Today show another junket for Coral Princess. 3 nights from Brisbane to Sydney on 19th August would be ideal, and I will pack my plank. The Today show can't be reasoned with, but they can be bought.

• Like 2