Will testing be gone now after today's announcement from CDC?

I have an upcoming cruise and have an appointment for testing.  I will GLADLY cancel the appointment the moment Royal drops pre-cruise testing!

Vaccinated and double boosted here.

• Like 3

Someday testing will be no longer required.  

I'd really like crew protocols to be eased and there are no ports of call governments that have said anything about that so... unmask the crew!  Let them be free!  

• Like 9

Maybe I'm slow, but I'm just not understanding why so many people want the testing mandate dropped.  Are you really okay with people going on the ship with you who are knowingly positive, or unknowingly, but don't find out because they don't have to test?  Or are YOU personally looking forward to being allowed on the ship even if you're positive, since you don't have to prove otherwise? I realize that for most people, Covid doesn't turn serious, but if you can keep people off the ships who would intentionally go even though they know they're positive, you could keep more people healthy.  

There are already cases on every ship and every sailing, and that is with vaxxing and testing.  I can only imagine how much higher that number would go if the mandate is dropped.  I know that there are a bunch of people who aren't cruising now because of the mandate.  Me, personally -- if they drop the mandate, I won't sail until this is far less transmissible.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, birdofsong said:

Maybe I'm slow, but I'm just not understanding why so many people want the testing mandate dropped.  Are you really okay with people going on the ship with you who are knowingly positive, or unknowingly, but don't find out because they don't have to test?  Or are YOU personally looking forward to being allowed on the ship even if you're positive, since you don't have to prove otherwise? I realize that for most people, Covid doesn't turn serious, but if you can keep people off the ships who would intentionally go even though they know they're positive, you could keep more people healthy.  

There are already cases on every ship and every sailing, and that is with vaxxing and testing.  I can only imagine how much higher that number would go if the mandate is dropped.  I know that there are a bunch of people who aren't cruising now because of the mandate.  Me, personally -- if they drop the mandate, I won't sail until this is far less transmissible.  

If they're going to keep the COVID testing, then they should ALSO be testing for influenza, rhinovirus, norovirus, hepatitis, pertussis, etc.  You're looking at hundreds of dollars per person for testing if you want to reduce the possibility of an infectious person boarding the ship.

There are ALL KINDS of contagious illnesses out there in the world, many of which can cause death for certain people.  COVID isn't all that "special" in that regard, it's just gotten all the media attention.  Catching COVID on a cruise is like catching Noro on a cruise (or a movie theater or a theme park or a hotel or a restaurant) -- it can happen, and if you're not willing to accept that fact, you shouldn't go out in public.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Its a double edge sword for everyone. There are pros and cons.

Pros:

reduces the number of positive people from getting on board.

Reduces the amount of compensation/expenditure for RCL to look after positive people.

Helps settle some of the nerves for some passengers.

Cons:

Passengers are super nervous/stressed about the testing, esp if you are travelling a few days before the cruise.

Expense for people to test and then possibly isolate in a foreign country.

Its a difficult decision to please everyone.

Finally, it may simply be down to the requirements of the countries the cruise line is sailing from/visiting and it is entirely up to them. 

• Like 2

Well I hope they keep the testing in place but give people the option of doing it at home and signing a declaration they were negative as that’s how its being done here in Australia, not fool proof I agree but not outrageously expensive as some of the exact same tests are when supervised by a medical professional!.

We did have an out break that made headlines on the Coral Princess last week, but seems it was the crew more than passengers affected and I took heart from the fact all protocols were in place to handle it and the cruise went on as normal (and still is) for rest of the passengers just with extra measures like RAT testing everyone and mask wearing at all times except when eating or drinking.

It’s also helped that all the cruise company’s give every assistance and cruise credit if they have to cancel last minute due to a positive test, so disappointment at not cruising right away is the only drawback or loss.

Edited by Hammer61

6 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Yes I am, at least as much as I am with every other thing they could come onboard with. For years nobody batted an eye at the health questionnaire being sufficient. I’m vaccinated, boosted, I’ve had covid, and I’m in good health.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Maybe I'm slow, but I'm just not understanding why so many people want the testing mandate dropped. 

Because it is not working...people are still getting onboard with Covid because the tests are not fool proof.  There is a small window within the infection period where the tests work. At this point the testing is a waste of time and is basically taking place because it makes a few people mistakenly feel safe. Any travel can result in illness and to lessen your chances, people need to practice good hygiene.  Clearly with the major increase with shootings, crime and disrespect taking place today it has proven keeping people confined to their homes has caused more harm than good. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:
  5 hours ago, brillohead said:

If they're going to keep the COVID testing, then they should ALSO be testing for influenza, rhinovirus, norovirus, hepatitis, pertussis, etc.  

False logic.  Of the illnesses you mention, none are even close to being as transmissible, and certainly not from someone just breathing out near you.  Also, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone being hospitalized or dying recently because of rhinovirus.  Covid is an entirely different animal.  I'm not an alarmist, but I'm a realist.  I understand that there will be people who won't show up positive during the earlier window, but it stands to reason that no testing means more positive cases on board at the time of sailing, and you can multiply that exponentially from there.  

I also understand that it's terrible if you have paid for and planned for your trip and because a member of your party tests positive, you can't board, BUT...do you really want to knowingly bring an active case on board and have someone positive in your party for your entire vacation, especially knowing that they will (not might) give it to others?  The fact that it appears that many of you would say yes to that question is the exact reason why they need to keep the testing mandate.  It's not just YOUR vacation.  It's all of ours, too, and we deserve to have a good and healthy trip, as well.

Edited by birdofsong
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Amen, well said.

• Like 2

Just because people are negative on their test 2 days before the cruise, doesn't mean they won't be positive on the cruise and won't say anything, so the testing is just for show in my opinion, and eliminating it won't change a thing, except end a lot of  tension just before the cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, birdofsong said:

I also understand that it's terrible if you have paid for and planned for your trip and because a member of your party tests positive, you can't board, BUT...do you really want to knowingly bring an active case on board and have someone positive in your party for your entire vacation, especially knowing that they will (not might) give it to others?  The fact that it appears that many of you would say yes to that question is the exact reason why they need to keep the testing mandate.  It's not just YOUR vacation.  It's all of ours, too, and we deserve to have a good and healthy trip, as well.

Do you honestly think you will walk on any ship and there will be no active cases of covid? The crew has covid, guests with false or un-timely tests board with covid, excursions/shopping workers in the ports have covid. It exists...everywhere.  This whole idea of keeping everyone safe by doing a 2 day- pre-cruise test is delusional thinking. The 2-day pre-cruise testing is a joke, and it accomplishes nothing. A more sensible approach will be vaccinated/boosted passengers will no longer take a test...and I have a strong belief it is coming very soon to a cruise line near you. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Are you really okay with people going on the ship with you who are knowingly positive, or unknowingly, but don't find out because they don't have to test? 

Yes. Why? Because for the other 50 weeks of the year I am exposed to people who are knowingly positive or unknowingly positive. 

• Like 5

I guess it is a slow step forward.  We will still be waiting to book until a cruise is like other vacations.  No testing, no masks, no quarantine etc.  A cruise is fun but so are other vacations and right now other vacations are just more enjoyable.

• Like 2

I'm ok with ending the testing.  If anyone is concerned they can continue to wear masks while on board.  DH and I will be among the mask wearers while inside/crowded areas.  While we're both vaccinated and double boosted, his heart condition makes him at higher risk and we're willing to wear masks to try to manage that risk as much as possible.  We do it at home in the grocery store, Walmart, etc. as we live in a tourist destination.  It's not a big deal for us to wear them on the ship.  

• Like 1

From RCI's FB page. At least they've acknowledged the updated CDC guidelines. Let's wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed they get rid of testing. Overly stressed and can't enjoy my upcoming Barcelona cruise countdown!

image.png.cd6ff42cc77eca886755bcfee4cf6670.png

Edited by ak810
  • Like 5