Portland, Maine, Excursions

nonni2

Normally, we shy away from cruise line excursions because of the size of the group as well as the (usually) higher cost. This time, it seems there are fewer options for our October cruise, so we may need to go with the cruise line. We've narrowed their offerings in Portland, Maine, to:

1) Drive through Old Port, discover warehouse district, visit Fort Williams and oldest lighthouse; and

2) Drive through Old Port, travel Maine coastline, visit oldest lighthouse, visit Kennebunkport. Any feedback would be appreciated. Please stay tuned - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! Thank you in advance!!!

47 minutes ago, nonni2 said:

1) Drive through Old Port, discover warehouse district, visit Fort Williams and oldest lighthouse;

This you wouldn't need to use a cruise tour for-- you can easily do it yourself. Downtown Portland is right as you get off the ship-- lots of shops, restaurants, and bars to walk around and see. Fort Williams and Portland Head Light are about a $20 Uber each way. My guess is the $40 in Ubers would be less than what the cruise line is charging even for one person.  

49 minutes ago, nonni2 said:

2) Drive through Old Port, travel Maine coastline, visit oldest lighthouse, visit Kennebunkport.

This is more involved and you would need to rent a car to do independently, at least the going to Kennebunkport. Having someone else drive and not having to worry about getting back to the ship on time would most likely be a benefit. 

Frankly, having been to both places, I would just do the first option independently and take your time rather than cram in Kennebunkport. 

• Like 2

There's so much to do and see in the town itself.  Are you at all able-bodied?  Narrow-gauge railway right at the port, with good rail museum. Several streets of Victorian houses, leading up to a nice view of the bay.  Mail boats used by the locals to getting to the nearby islands.  Vintage fire truck tour.  And all of the above eateries.  No need for excursions, nor for going out of town.

• Like 4

Yeah, I've posted a lot of things to do here in Portland on other threads, really wouldn't do any cruise line tour.  To see Portland Head Light from a different perspective than 95% of photographs of it, get up early on arrival (0530-0600) to see the lighthouse from the sea, as the ship will pass close by.

• Like 4

Nonni, It will probably be worth your while to read through a bunch of previous posts about Portland. As mentioned above, a lot more info has been posted that could be helpful and informative.  Portland is nice!

I live in Boston, and we go to Portland a couple of times a year. I highly recommend one of the Casco Bay Ferry Line's boat runs. For under $20 a person, you can go on 1.5 to 2.5 four of the islands of the coast of Portland. It's really, really lovely. We've done both the Mail Boat and Diamond Run, and enjoyed both. We've also gone to Peaks and just walked around. The terminal is practically across the street from the cruise port, and depending on how long you are in Portland, you could go to the Holy Donut, go see the islands, and then grab lunch/dinner in the Old Port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a great restaurant within walking distance of the pier to get a nice lobster lunch?  Not sandwiches or lobster rolls, but an actual lobster tail type lunch.  My daughter has never had Lobster and we wanted to give her the experience.

20 minutes ago, steveknj said:

Is there a great restaurant within walking distance of the pier to get a nice lobster lunch?  Not sandwiches or lobster rolls, but an actual lobster tail type lunch.  My daughter has never had Lobster and we wanted to give her the experience.

If you want the "experience", then don't go for a "tail" (you won't find many places that serve them that way, anyway).  If she doesn't want to crack the bug herself, many places will shell it for you.  Claw meat is the delicacy anyway.

Best places, IMHO (all 5-8 minute walk or less, my ranking):

Luke's Lobster 

Portland Lobster Co , for "in the rough" (picnic tables)

Boone's Fish House & Oyster Room , pricier for real meal service, but worth it

DiMillo's on the water (on a converted ferry boat, I think it's overpriced for living on its reputation for a long time)

Gilbert's Chowder House (best chowder in Portland)

J's Oyster

These are the places that would be open for lunch, there are a whole lot more still within walking distance of the ship, and really fine dining, but generally not open for lunch, so likely won't fit a cruise ship port call.  If you think you can make one of these, just google "lobster restaurants portland maine", and you'll get a fistful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If you want the "experience", then don't go for a "tail" (you won't find many places that serve them that way, anyway).  If she doesn't want to crack the bug herself, many places will shell it for you.  Claw meat is the delicacy anyway.

Best places, IMHO (all 5-8 minute walk or less, my ranking):

Luke's Lobster 

DiMillo's on the water (on a converted ferry boat, I think it's overpriced for living on its reputation for a long time)

J's Oyster

These are the places that would be open for lunch, there are a whole lot more still within walking distance of the ship, and really fine dining, but generally not open for lunch, so likely won't fit a cruise ship port call.  If you think you can make one of these, just google "lobster restaurants portland maine", and you'll get a fistful.

That’s awesome! Thank you for the suggestions! I was looking for a good place to eat lunch.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Luke's Lobster 

J's Oyster

You are right, a Google search gives lots of choices, but your lunch list is near the top of most other lists. Are you willing to recommend a couple more (seafood) for dinner. We are in Portland from 11 am til 11 pm in mid October.  Plus my wife and daughter are in Maine this week and they plan on stopping in Portland on their drive south.

6 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

You are right, a Google search gives lots of choices, but your lunch list is near the top of most other lists. Are you willing to recommend a couple more (seafood) for dinner. We are in Portland from 11 am til 11 pm in mid October.  Plus my wife and daughter are in Maine this week and they plan on stopping in Portland on their drive south.

Scales is probably at the top of seafood restaurants, both in quality and price

Street & Co is another top of the line, and pricey seafood place

Eventide is about the best raw bar (can't vouch, don't like oysters)

And, of course, Becky's Diner (nothin' finah) for huge servings of good food for breakfast (likely see some of the fishermen there  if you're there early), lunch, and dinner.

• Thanks 2

Most of the above are open for lunch AND dinner.

Prepare your daughter - you'll be served a whole lobster, which if you're not used to it can be kinda strange if you've never experienced it.

IMHO, sucking the meat out of the legs is my favorite.  A lot of locals eat lobster in this order: legs, claws and knuckles, tail last. If you've never had a fresh lobster, you are in for a treat!

Great options all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

Prepare your daughter - you'll be served a whole lobster, which if you're not used to it can be kinda strange if you've never experienced it.

IMHO, sucking the meat out of the legs is my favorite.  A lot of locals eat lobster in this order: legs, claws and knuckles, tail last. If you've never had a fresh lobster, you are in for a treat!

Great options all!

While Eventide is open for lunch, Scales and Street & Co open at 4-5pm.

12 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Great options all!

I've had fresh lobster before, but my daughter hasn't.  Personally I've never felt it was worth all the "work" but I like it.  It's something she wants to do, so we'll do it!

8 minutes ago, steveknj said:

I've had fresh lobster before, but my daughter hasn't.  Personally I've never felt it was worth all the "work" but I like it.  It's something she wants to do, so we'll do it!

Well, when I see that lobsters are $6.99/lb (or about $10-12 for a lobster), and picked meat is over $40/lb, my labor is worth it, for the less than 2 minutes it takes to completely shell a lobster (the tail takes 10 seconds).

• 4 weeks later...

If you are looking for other do it yourself options (and Portland is so walkable that it is all really available as do it yourself) then you might want to add visiting some breweries to your list.  Portland is just filled with craft breweries.  About a mile walk from the port is Fox street which has several breweries, a couple of wineries and distilleries and a place doing sparkling cider.  Look at Rising Tide Brewery on Google maps to get the general area and then scroll around and you’ll see it is rich with options.  A few blocks up the hill is Washington street with a few eateries and more breweries, distilleries a mead and a kombucha place.  Or if you like Belgian beer, head to Allagash and the other breweries on Industrial.  It’s further afield and will require an Uber, but has a great setting and a fabulous lunch option. I’ve seen Shipyard mentioned on these boards and it is close to the port, but the beer is lousy and the place has zero atmosphere.  I think there are a couple of places in the old port that brew their own beer also.

There are also a lot of DIY walking tours available.  You can find them on the web, or I believe the TIC which is located right by the cruise port has printouts.  

There is already great advice on this thread for lobster.  Don’t eat lobster at a diner, eat it on the docks.  

I looked up the cruise excursions listed on a couple of the cruise lines which I’ve seen in town this summer.  Anyone who has cruised knows you can do excursions cheaper yourself.  I was therefore not surprised to see that HA was selling a public ferry ride to Peaks Island and a lobster dinner at Island Lobster for twice what you would pay if you buy your own ferry ticket (rarely a line) and book the dinner yourself online.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, nonni2 said:

Normally, we shy away from cruise line excursions because of the size of the group as well as the (usually) higher cost. This time, it seems there are fewer options for our October cruise, so we may need to go with the cruise line. We've narrowed their offerings in Portland, Maine, to:

1) Drive through Old Port, discover warehouse district, visit Fort Williams and oldest lighthouse; and

2) Drive through Old Port, travel Maine coastline, visit oldest lighthouse, visit Kennebunkport. Any feedback would be appreciated. Please stay tuned - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! Thank you in advance!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Our April cruise from FLL to Montreal on HA Zaandam has cancelled Bar Harbor & Newport and substitued a short day at Portland Maine, plus giving us another Sea Day instead of Newport.    However no shore excursions posted so far for Portland.    Those of you that have been to Portland, what do you suggest for our stop that is only from 7am to 1pm?

3 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Our April cruise from FLL to Montreal on HA Zaandam has cancelled Bar Harbor & Newport and substitued a short day at Portland Maine, plus giving us another Sea Day instead of Newport.    However no shore excursions posted so far for Portland.    Those of you that have been to Portland, what do you suggest for our stop that is only from 7am to 1pm?

Take a railroad ride, eat lobster rolls, visit Holy Donuts, fing a brewery of your liking. All are within ten minutes of the port.

• Like 1

For a unique excursion I suggest the Mailboat run.  It visits several islands in the bay.  We really enjoyed it.  It takes about 2.5 to 3 hours.  The prices is $14.50 for seniors and leaves from a pier near where the ship docks. 

I heard about it on CC--I think from chengkp75.

This is the description from the site::

Mailboat Tour - Casco Bay Mail Run from Portland Maine (cascobaylines.com)-

Hop on the Mailboat Run! The locals’ favorite way to experience Casco Bay – this true working boat carries passengers, mail and freight to Little Diamond, Great Diamond, Long, Cliff and Chebeague Islands. Year-round availability

• Like 1