CDC Issues The New Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

1 hour ago, Melcatfish said:

Urgh, STILL no update from RCL? The prospect of an asymptomatic positive fills me with dread, can’t wait to get back to cruising but the lead up to this first cruise back since Covid is nowhere near as enjoyable as the lead up to our usual trips!

No and they still have the document posted which explicitly says  "European Departures Valid through July 31, 2022"  https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf I don't know what they are waiting for to update this either way (extend current protocols or revise them).  That is 4 days from now...

1 hour ago, ak810 said:

No and they still have the document posted which explicitly says  "European Departures Valid through July 31, 2022"  https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf I don't know what they are waiting for to update this either way (extend current protocols or revise them).  That is 4 days from now...

This is likely what they're waiting for. Webcast tomorrow... Info under Investor Relations on the website.image.png.6163231bdea1e34a3265ed4499e4417f.png 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Coming back to Cruise related policies, expectations are that testing requirement will be removed pretty soon while vaccination requirement might tighten (shot within 270 days)

This concerns me a bit.  My youngest (10) is vaccinated.  His last shot was December 29. 

Canada has not approved boosters for this age group and I doubt they will before our cruise in 2 months.  He will be 285 days from his last shot.  I'm assuming then he'll be classed as unvaxxed and have to go through all the extra testing.  Which he will gladly do but the extra expensive of a PCR test at $150 plus and the pier testing, makes me anxious and sad for him.

39 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

What this has to do with cruise related policies?

Perhaps you are not aware, but web forums and sites like this sometimes wonder far afield off its main purpose - eventually, the mods intervene.

4 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

This concerns me a bit.  My youngest (10) is vaccinated.  His last shot was December 29. 

Canada has not approved boosters for this age group and I doubt they will before our cruise in 2 months.  He will be 285 days from his last shot.  I'm assuming then he'll be classed as unvaxxed and have to go through all the extra testing.  Which he will gladly do but the extra expensive of a PCR test at $150 plus and the pier testing, makes me anxious and sad for him.

Why? Is this something required in Canada? In the U.S. it doesn't matter when you got your shot, you are considered vaccinated after 2 shots. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I don't see anything about a number of days since being vaccinated for travel to Canada via cruise ship:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Vaccination requirements

To embark on a cruise ship that will start, dock or end in Canada, if you’re 12 years of age or older, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with very few exceptions.

• Note: many cruise lines require vaccination for children 5 years and older.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to Canada, you must:

• have received at least 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
    • or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine
  • have received your second dose at least 14 calendar days before you enter Canada
    • Example: if your second dose was anytime on Thursday, July 1, then Thursday, July 15 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
    • this timing is only required for your second dose, not for third or fourth doses

Sorry - for clarification - I was referring to the comment from someone about how its possible that Royal may get rid of testing but require you to have had a vaccine/booster within 270 days. The reference to Canada was not because I'm cruising there but because I live in Canada and boosters haven't been approved for my youngest.

Apologies for the confusion.

• Like 2

Here's my prediction:

October 2022

- Vaccines still mandatory 12 and up

- No more testing, except for unvaccinated passengers 12 and younger

Spring 2023

- No more vaccine mandates

- No more testing, except for all unvaccinated passengers

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, exm said:

Here's my prediction:

October 2022

- Vaccines still mandatory 12 and up

- No more testing, except for unvaccinated passengers 12 and younger

Spring 2023

- No more vaccine mandates

- No more testing, except for all unvaccinated passengers

I could see this change and timeline happening. Though I bet the keep testing for all unvaccinated passengers as long as there's a vaccine mandate.

I would imagine the vast majority of people who cruise have been vaccinated. I think this is evident as cruises are selling out or near capacity. The testing before hand is costing RCL a bucket load of money with their CWC policy if you catch covid post testing whilst onboard. 

I think vaccine will stay.

Testing for vac people will stop. 

Testing for unvac people will continue. 

But will be good for royal to hurry up and tell us all for the rest of the summer season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Don't worry, there is no indication that this happening.  Restrictions are going away not becoming more strict.  Princess has already lowered the threshold for vaccination status.  Nobody is suddenly, without it being required, going to make it more stringent.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Except for the idiots in Ottawa who resumed Random testing after not having it for a month.

True but that is an exceptional case.  But I vowed not to get banned again so I can not comment further on that subject. 🙂 

I was more referring to the US and the cruise industry specifically.  Small cruise lines are dropping testing and vaccine requirements.  

I know Ken is already aware of this but for those who are not here are the links.

https://margaritavilleatsea.com/prepare-to-sail/

https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

The larger cruise lines are still holding their cards close to their vest. However, Princess has dropped their vaccine requirement and is now allowing 10% unvaccinated adults for any reason. I just had a friend tell me today he booked two cruises on Princess for Oct and Nov. because of this and he has been approved for the 10%. Things are changing for the better.  There will be no tightening. 

My speculation is that cruise companies know that the longer the unvaccinated (that number is 32.8% of the US population and unlikely to change significantly) go without cruising the more of that market share never comes back to cruising as they will have found substitutes that meet their needs.  Losing 32.8% of any market is a massive hit over time. Especially in a recessionary environment where people will have less disposable income and be less apt spend on extraneous things like cruise vacations. There may be full ships right now but some of that is certainly due to FCC's burning a whole in peoples pockets and driving the smaller market share to cruise more frequently.  That day is ending if not already ended.  They need that 32.8% spending money. Of that 67.2% only 48.2% have gotten the booster. I say with great assurance there is no booster requirement every 270 days coming.

Tomorrow's earning call will undoubtedly shed some light on the future but the thought that vaccine requirements get stricter on cruises leaving the US is a highly improbable notion.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

rue but that is an exceptional case.

I know, just frustrating for those of us North of the border.  Definitely agree that most of the rest of the world seems to be making progress dealing with this but Zippy seems to follow the 2 steps forward one step back rule.

• Like 3

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I know, just frustrating for those of us North of the border.  Definitely agree that most of the rest of the world seems to be making progress dealing with this but Zippy seems to follow the 2 steps forward one step back rule.

I can empathize with your pain.  I really haven't paid attention to the details after I heard that announcement but that was just for people flying in Canada not driving across the border...  correct?

I'm supposed to go visit my sister in YVR after we get off of ovation at the beginning of Sept.  I would be driving across.  

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Good to know that for as messed up as the USA is with covid policy, the former British colonies are even more messed up.

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Arrgh, she, she may not be getting visit. I was only planning on running up for the day.

Not sure what would happen.  It is random testing.  They provide you a kit and you have to d it with a proctored company by 11:59pm the day following your arrival...you'll be long gone.

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure what would happen.  It is random testing.  They provide you a kit and you have to d it with a proctored company by 11:59pm the day following your arrival...you'll be long gone.

Ah true, it might just work out.  

Thanks

Edited by Tree_skier