A sextant on NCL

Davechipp74

Cleaning through a family attic I came across this beautiful antique brass working sextant (It was Grandpas) I have since ordered books on how to use a sextant, and been watching a few videos, I have a 12 day solo cruise on Jan 20th abroad the NCL Getaway by the end of the cruise I hope to teach myself some basic Celestial Navigation. Of all my cruise experience on several lines I'm certain NCL would be the one that would have an officer on the bridge, or nearby me notice what I'm trying to do and engage me. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.  

On a more positive note - contact Guest Services to put you in contact with the officer of

the bridge whose job is meteorology and/or navigation - make an introduction for an

interesting discussion about that sextant.

Another alternative see one of the 4 stripers (Captain - Staff Captain) make an introduction

that way.

Any officer worth his salt should be interested in the ancient art of sailing/navigation. 

• Like 4

IF any of the officers were to engage, I think the discussion might be on the side of how much better satellite navigation is than having to rely on a sextant. Almost like taking an oar onboard to see if one of the engineers takes an interest in an old method of propulsion. 

For anyone interested in the oddity of the sextant, you can pick one up at your local Harbor Freight for $23.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

IF any of the officers were to engage, I think the discussion might be on the side of how much better satellite navigation is than having to rely on a sextant. Almost like taking an oar onboard to see if one of the engineers takes an interest in an old method of propulsion. 

For anyone interested in the oddity of the sextant, you can pick one up at your local Harbor Freight for $23.

Probably about right.  If they engage, it would probably be to point out how much more exacting today’s GPS and electronic navigation is.

As a hobby?  Could be interesting.  Probably need to take some astronomy classes first to really understand navigation with a sextant.

I don’t think the ship’s staff would be able to advise, or be willing to, outside of just chatting with a guest.

I'm surprised folks think GPS needs no backup. In the past accuracy has been intentionally degraded for national security reasons. They promise never again, but what about an EMP blast knocking out some electronics (electro magnetic pulse). Even celestial should have a backup; a famous pilot/politician became lost crossing the atlantic because his navigator couldn't shoot stars correctly. They could just barely locate one radio signal and homed in to landing on that island.

It would be interesting to hear what kinds of navigation ship officers are trained for. You rarely need a backup, but if so the stakes are super high. I doubt if crew would want to wade thru various table lookups on where the stars ought to be with you. I took celestial nav in college and that can be really tedious if not digitized.  Try some simple stuff alone like latitude and if getting stuck further, there is your conversation starter.

• Like 1

I think but I could be way off that the HAL staff used them to measure the height of the glacier face on approaching the glacier.  It would be something to track the Southern Cross with one. 

I would be tempted to take a 23 buck one from H/F instead of trusting the baggage folks with "Grandpa's" altho I did take some fishing lures from the 1930s that my dad used, and I caught one salmon with them. (One fish was enough to make sure I didn't lose it). 

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

I was watching one of those cruise ship specials and the captain did say he could navigate with just charts.  He said they must have a backup.  So they are trained to navigate without GPS.

Young bridge officers today may have had the rudiments of celestial navigation in school, but rarely practice it once employed, and without practice, it becomes a lost art.  Unfortunately, they rely almost completely on GPS, to the point that paper charts are no longer published by NOAA, as the GPS input to the ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display Information System) or electronic chart is used as the primary and secondary forms of navigation, and paper charts are no longer required.  Even aspects of coastwise navigation, like taking bearings on navigational aids to determine a position are almost unknown to today's navigators.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Am I the I only who was hoping sextant was a typo and imagined where they would put this magical tent?

Maybe?  I actually know what a Sextant is, though I haven't actually used one or been trained to use one.