Packed lunch for shore?

Kate-in-Canada

Hi all,

I am celiac and need to eat gluten free. I’ve checked the dr menu and I feel confident I will fine onboard.  Also sent I the special request form and reserved the same time each night for dinner.

however, I am worried about lunch when in port (Alaska)  I don’t trust the busy touristy restaurants in high traffic Areas and don’t want to searching for one somewhere that has a gf menu.

I would feel much safer taking a packed lunch on my excursions.

all inclusives have done this for me, but there was no border issue about taking fruits or whatever from a ship.

has anyone ever gotten a packed lunch to go ashore before?

is there a spot where I can find all the restricted foods, so that if I can’t get a takeaway lunch, I could grocery shop before boarding and bring packaged snacks with me?

normally a typical packed day activity lunch for me would be apple or banana, peanut butter and rice crackers, almonds, granola bar, maybe he’s boiled egg or cheese slices and pepperoni.

do you think I could make my own packed lunch from the buffet In The morning if I brought containers? Some of my tours like kenai fjords provide lunch, but it’s a wrap or roll I won’t be able to eat…

any advice on how to stay in-glutened on shore?

cheers!

I also have to eat gluten free and have never tried taking off a lunch because so much is limited and I was told that the ONLY thing I could bring are packaged bars. Definitely no fruit. We are also going to Alaska next week and have a couple of tours that supply a snack. I’m going to assume that I won’t be able to eat it,  but will bring a bar or 2.

May be port dependent but usually they do not allow any non packaged food to be taken off the ship or brought back onto the ship.   I know that in many ports in South America they even had xray machines and dogs to prevent fruits from coming off the ships. 

• Like 1

Celebrity will not provide a packed lunch for you. At nearly every port you visit it violates health and agriculture laws.  Do not take fruit or sandwiches or cookies off the ship. If you have prepackaged snacks from home, in sealed packages, you can usually take them but some places even frown on those.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Hi all,

I am celiac and need to eat gluten free. I’ve checked the dr menu and I feel confident I will fine onboard.  Also sent I the special request form and reserved the same time each night for dinner.

however, I am worried about lunch when in port (Alaska)  I don’t trust the busy touristy restaurants in high traffic Areas and don’t want to searching for one somewhere that has a gf menu.

I would feel much safer taking a packed lunch on my excursions.

all inclusives have done this for me, but there was no border issue about taking fruits or whatever from a ship.

has anyone ever gotten a packed lunch to go ashore before?

this is not allowed

is there a spot where I can find all the restricted foods, so that if I can’t get a takeaway lunch, I could grocery shop before boarding and bring packaged snacks with me?

where? Vancouver? seattle? Where are you sailing from?

normally a typical packed day activity lunch for me would be apple or banana, peanut butter and rice crackers, almonds, granola bar, maybe he’s boiled egg or cheese slices and pepperoni.

do you think I could make my own packed lunch from the buffet In The morning if I brought containers?

no, you should not do this

Some of my tours like kenai fjords provide lunch, but it’s a wrap or roll I won’t be able to eat…

any advice on how to stay in-glutened on shore?

cheers!

The US (and many ports) don't allow you to take fruit, veggies, seeds, nuts, meat, etc. off the ship for agricultural reasons. Taking pre-packaged snacks that you bring with you on the cruise shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 1

I always pack protein bars to take on tours, and have all over the world.  If I can find GF foods while ashore, great.  If not, I have the protein bar(s).  Been doing this since 2003.  It's lots easier now to find something to eat ashore.  GF is pretty common now, even in Alaska.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Celebrity will not provide a packed lunch for you. At nearly every port you visit it violates health and agriculture laws.  Do not take fruit or sandwiches or cookies off the ship. If you have prepackaged snacks from home, in sealed packages, you can usually take them but some places even frown on those.

I have never had my packaged snacks or bars frowned upon, thankfully. It would really stink to not be able to eat when on tours when other people can due to food allergies that they don’t accommodate. We have a tour that is 7 hours and lunch is being served. I’m pretty sure that they won’t have anything that I can eat, so bars it will be!

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

May be port dependent but usually they do not allow any non packaged food to be taken off the ship or brought back onto the ship.   I know that in many ports in South America they even had xray machines and dogs to prevent fruits from coming off the ships. 

Despite the fact we live in Alaska we've done a number of Alaska cruises since it gives us the opportunity to visit a different part of our very large state.  We even did a pair of Alaska cruises last June.

While we don't see it every Alaska cruise but we have observed sniffer dogs at Alaska ports periodically.  I have no idea if they are trained to alert to illegal drugs or are also trained to alert to food products.

54 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I always pack protein bars to take on tours, and have all over the world.  If I can find GF foods while ashore, great.  If not, I have the protein bar(s).  Been doing this since 2003.  It's lots easier now to find something to eat ashore.  GF is pretty common now, even in Alaska.

Yes, I’m sure lots of place may have things thier staff consider gluten free.  But a kitchen safe from cross contamination isn’t not so easy.  
put would be one thing if I was just walking around town.

but having a gluten attack while on a canoe trip or river rafting trip where there’s no bathrooms is not something I want to risk.  At all.

and my kenai fjords tour is 8 hours.  Though I suppose I might be able to pop into a convenience store and grab some chips and candy.  I hate junk food, but if it’s between that and 8 hours of nothing but watching others chow down thier lobster roll.

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I also have to eat gluten free and have never tried taking off a lunch because so much is limited and I was told that the ONLY thing I could bring are packaged bars. Definitely no fruit. We are also going to Alaska next week and have a couple of tours that supply a snack. I’m going to assume that I won’t be able to eat it,  but will bring a bar or 2.

Were you able to ask someone at celebrity who told you only bars, or did that come from the community?

I was hoping so,e one from the special requests dept would contact me after I sent in my form so I could ask what it is allowed to bring with me to be prepared.

Don’t wait for a call from Celebrity.  Make your own plan.  Packaged, sealed, bags of chips or nuts or dried fruit or gf cookies, or pepperoni that doesn’t require refrigeration, brought from home will get you through the day, especially if you have a big breakfast

Hey Kate!

There's a long list of foods that can't be imported into the US, including Alaska. I found a CBP/USDA document that appears to have been produced by the office in Alaska that has more detail, and contact numbers. The link is directly to a PDF posted at skagway.org.

Worth a look. Citrus isn't allowed. Bananas in season may be, if the label is on them. Etc. There are items allowed IF in the original container and clearly labeled as from the US or Canada. A ham and cheese sandwich generally wouldn't be allowed. A sealed package of ham with a USDA stamp or Canadian Ministry of Agriculture stamp should be fine. Seeds and nuts may or may not be allowed (sealed packages generally OK). Things like bread really aren't mentioned (including GF bread).

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/clerk039s_office/page/28831/uscbp_2019_transporting_agriculture_products.pdf

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

Hey Kate!

There's a long list of foods that can't be imported into the US, including Alaska. I found a CBP/USDA document that appears to have been produced by the office in Alaska that has more detail, and contact numbers. The link is directly to a PDF posted at skagway.org.

Worth a look. Citrus isn't allowed. Bananas in season may be, if the label is on them. Etc. There are items allowed IF in the original container and clearly labeled as from the US or Canada. A ham and cheese sandwich generally wouldn't be allowed. A sealed package of ham with a USDA stamp or Canadian Ministry of Agriculture stamp should be fine. Seeds and nuts may or may not be allowed (sealed packages generally OK). Things like bread really aren't mentioned (including GF bread).

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/clerk039s_office/page/28831/uscbp_2019_transporting_agriculture_products.pdf

many thanks.  That list was exactly what I need to plan what I will need to get in Vancouver.

I was glad to see peanuts and almonds will be fine so long as I get the small prepackaged ones.  Between those, chips and pepperoni sticks I will manage fine I think.

And eat my fruit on board at breakfast only! 🙂

appreciate it, thanks again!

• Like 1

Searches (by way of sniffer dogs or even hand searches)  are not uncommon in some ports.  Despite being repeatedly admonished not to take food ashore in South America, I recall lining up to have backpacks and purses searched by local authorities on shore. When people realized what was going on, they jettisoned the food. I remember the site of discarded apples bobbing in the water after panicked cruisers tossed them away before getting to the search desk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Also, you may want to consider asking over on the Alaska board...

bon appetit and bon voyage

I have used the special boards for years but Senior Moment, can't remember how to find them since I wasn't able to sail for 2+years.  Where are they hiding?

8 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I have used the special boards for years but Senior Moment, can't remember how to find them since I wasn't able to sail for 2+years.  Where are they hiding?

Here...

58 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Here...

My bad Bo.  I am looking for European countries.  I spent almost 2 months in Alaska by ferry, train, car,  cruise ship so to many other countries to explore.  I used the special boards for Bermuda and Cuba cruises. 

Thanks anyway.

2 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

My bad Bo.  I am looking for European countries.  I spent almost 2 months in Alaska by ferry, train, car,  cruise ship so to many other countries to explore.  I used the special boards for Bermuda and Cuba cruises. 

Thanks anyway.

I found it.  I was especially looking for Amsterdam and it is there.  We are scheduled for a Viking River Cruise, 4 nights in Ameserdam and the Celebrity British Isles next month.

Thanks for sending me to the forums I have been hunting.

Happy Sails

• Thanks 1