The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 25th, 2022

richwmn

Well there was a pretty argument earlier today about getting HAL to end pre cruise covid testing.  I kept reading, but it kept getting angrier, and thought, this is like the Carnival page,  let me come back home.  So I checked in here a couple of times, and because i was (working) busy, thought better of posting.

You never know where those bosses of mine will show up.🙀

But yes, there are fewer posts from the usual suspects....we need to fix that!  But it's summer, everyone may be doing something...like melting....

I talked with someone in TX today that said they had had enough of the political climate, and the actual temperature and were heading up to Colorado for 4-5 months.  I asked where, and he said 80 miles north of Durango.  I said I have a friend in Durango, @durangoscots, and it made me smile to say that.  I wonder why the dogs didn't bark if the bear was there.  Probably didn't want to give away their location.  I know I wouldn't say anything if I saw one.  I would hide and call the police.  or animal control.

@Quartzsite CruiserI love your pictures of the whale shark.  OMG, it's on my list to see!  In the wild, not at the Atlanta Aquarium.  They are impressive!

Thanks for the packing tips.  I still didn't get any info about Kodiak or Sitka.  Ship to port distance.  BFF thinks he should just wander the woods alone in Kodiak.  I would hate for him to be eaten by a bear.

Chapter three is packing tips.  You all have been so helpful!  Just wait until I ask how to pack for the  Europe cruise for 25 days.  Oh yes, I will have free laundry service on that cruise.  It's the style of clothing.  I know I'm American i just don't want to stand out as one. 

• Like 11

Thanks for all the daily reports, and photos of today's destination.

Have heavy rain here, some flooding in Christchurch and other areas.

@kazu thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful Dahlias.

@marshhawk I am interested to read that you you have no "zip" after your booster last Tuesday, I had my second booster last Wednesday,, and have had a similar reaction,  with no "zip" , wanting to sleep all the time. Have not looked at the Fleet/Daily  for a few days, so will go back and catch up.

You have been given good advice for packing for your Alaska cruise, wear or carry your heaviest clothing for your flights.

@aliaschief thank you for the photos of Edinburgh.  Hope your tummie has now recovered.

@dfish thank you for the photo of  the  Volendam.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 13

@erewhon I hope you get your zip back.  I sit at my desk calling people, scared I will fall asleep before I get the answering machine or an actual person.  You were one of the missing, that I was missing.  DH finally admitted that he didn't feel well after the booster, but more nauseous than "dead".

Graham and Sandi have both been very quiet today, and that has worried me.  Maybe they are both napping today.  The heat has been terrible, and I went out to get the mail, at 9 tonight there was no breeze just HOT air every where.  I think we need some funnies today....

one-ticket-funny-cartoon-memes.jpg

3a2d17a07fd59ceae45f4a1ed46db627--quotes.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Well there was a pretty argument earlier today about getting HAL to end pre cruise covid testing.  I kept reading, but it kept getting angrier, and thought, this is like the Carnival page,  let me come back home.  So I checked in here a couple of times, and because i was (working) busy, thought better of posting.

You never know where those bosses of mine will show up.🙀

But yes, there are fewer posts from the usual suspects....we need to fix that!  But it's summer, everyone may be doing something...like melting....

I talked with someone in TX today that said they had had enough of the political climate, and the actual temperature and were heading up to Colorado for 4-5 months.  I asked where, and he said 80 miles north of Durango.  I said I have a friend in Durango, @durangoscots, and it made me smile to say that.  I wonder why the dogs didn't bark if the bear was there.  Probably didn't want to give away their location.  I know I wouldn't say anything if I saw one.  I would hide and call the police.  or animal control.

@Quartzsite CruiserI love your pictures of the whale shark.  OMG, it's on my list to see!  In the wild, not at the Atlanta Aquarium.  They are impressive!

Thanks for the packing tips.  I still didn't get any info about Kodiak or Sitka.  Ship to port distance.  BFF thinks he should just wander the woods alone in Kodiak.  I would hate for him to be eaten by a bear.

Chapter three is packing tips.  You all have been so helpful!  Just wait until I ask how to pack for the  Europe cruise for 25 days.  Oh yes, I will have free laundry service on that cruise.  It's the style of clothing.  I know I'm American i just don't want to stand out as one. 

If we didn't have doctor appointments, we wouldn't be in this heat neither.  I looked at the thread about the pre-cruise testing, and left quickly.

Some of our regulars are on cruises and other trips, but I guess some are just busy.  The rest of us will hold down the fort until they return.

We saw the whale shark in the Sea of Cortez.  The best time is probably December to early March.  We were there on March 4, but as always, the whale sharks and whales don't look at the calendar.

My apologies.  I saw yout questions about Sitka and Kodiak, and forgot to answer.  In Sitka, there is a shuttle from the dock into town.  It is easy to walk around the town and the waterfront.  There is a shuttle run by the native corporation that will take you to various stops, including the Raptor Center and the Fortress of the Bears.  I don't remember the cost of the shuttle.  You can also get a day bus pass that covers all three routes.

In Kodiak, there is a shuttle from the dock to the Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center.  It is an easy walk into town, and I think it's about a mile.  We've walked it in the past.  There are taxis at the dock for a short tour, or with advanced planning, you can rent a car to see more of the island, if the ship is in port all day.  I would strongly warn against walking in the woods alone.  BTW, most of the bears are in the interior of the island.  I almost forgot, there will probably be a shuttle to Wal-Mart.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Thank you for the information.  I had no idea that BFF wanted to see more of towns than wildlife.  Right now, I'm up to over 2500 dollars in requested shore excursions, and he said he tried to book a few,  but they said they were already full.  For next May.  I've been holding off booking and paying for them as he has only made the deposit on the cruise.  I want to go to the World War II sites in Alaska.  As does DH.  BFF wants to wander towns??? Yes, I want to see them, but I want to see as much country as I can.

• Like 13

Hello everyone.  

I realize i have not posted in a few days.  Yesterday and today I have been so tired.  i think it was from all the driving.  I did most of it.

On Friday night we stayed in Lumberton, NC in a Springhill Suites.  I will never stay in one of those again.  It was the most uncomfortable place I ever stayed in.  We have stayed in others, but this one was just not good. 

I think I am still recovering from the trip.

Hope everyone is doing okay.

Prayers for all that need them

God bless and Good night,

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Thank you for the information.  I had no idea that BFF wanted to see more of towns than wildlife.  Right now, I'm up to over 2500 dollars in requested shore excursions, and he said he tried to book a few,  but they said they were already full.  For next May.  I've been holding off booking and paying for them as he has only made the deposit on the cruise.  I want to go to the World War II sites in Alaska.  As does DH.  BFF wants to wander towns??? Yes, I want to see them, but I want to see as much country as I can.

Fort Abercrombie in Kodiak has WWII bunkers and old guns.  One of the bunkers is an interesting museum.  

To see a lot of the country, you'll probably have to do a tour.  You can see a lot of the wilderness from the ship.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

As new posts are added to threads, or new threads are created, the old threads migrate down the page and eventually to the second and later pages. When I added a post, the thread was placed back at the top of the first page and will slowly move down if no one adds anything else.

Good morning.

It is 60°F and cloudy here in NE England at 08.25am.

I hope everyone has a good night's sleep and a lovely day today.

Graham.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@erewhon I hope you get your zip back.  I sit at my desk calling people, scared I will fall asleep before I get the answering machine or an actual person.  You were one of the missing, that I was missing.  DH finally admitted that he didn't feel well after the booster, but more nauseous than "dead".

Graham and Sandi have both been very quiet today, and that has worried me.  Maybe they are both napping today.  The heat has been terrible, and I went out to get the mail, at 9 tonight there was no breeze just HOT air every where.  I think we need some funnies today....

one-ticket-funny-cartoon-memes.jpg

3a2d17a07fd59ceae45f4a1ed46db627--quotes.jpg

Thank you.

I was out yesterday morning from 7am till 1pm UK time doing sales calls.

I reposted Father David's message for you I hope it was okay.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

For the first time in a very long time, the current Fleet Report / Daily dropped off the first page.

Thank you Rich for posting the Fleet reports and Daily each day.

It was 2am in the UK when you posted this.

As I am up early every morning around 6-7am I will post a good morning greeting to make sure this wonderful thread maintains its rightful place on the First Page.

Regards.

Graham.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

For the first time in a very long time, the current Fleet Report / Daily dropped off the first page.

I suspect a significant part of the reason is that cruising (and travel in general) is getting more active and it's as much a matter of more threads on the board as some light activity days.  I can remember when sometimes 3 Daily threads were on the first page of a board when cruising was at it's low point.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I suspect a significant part of the reason is that cruising (and travel in general) is getting more active and it's as much a matter of more threads on the board as some light activity days.  I can remember when sometimes 3 Daily threads were on the first page of a board when cruising was at it's low point.

Roy

Very good assessment Roy.

Personally I prefer the daily because we have friendly conversations and no sarcastic comments.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I agree with this. I posted about the thread dropping to the second page for a couple of reasons. First, was just to get it back on the first page. Second, to remind people to look on the second page if they don't see it. And third, to encourage posts to keep it on the first page. Maybe some of those who just view each day could post to let everyone know who they are.

• Like 11

Ann @marshhawkI was going to answer your question about distances to Sitka and Kodiak but I see Lenda gave you the answers.  I remember in Kodiak they had a school bus to take you town and I'm not sure if we walked or rode the bus, but we did just go ahead and walk back to the ship since as Lenda said it wasn't bad at all.  Sitka is like 5 or 6 miles away from the dock so definitely take the shuttle bus.  Full size bus if I recall.  

Love all the crazy funny memes you posted as well.  I hope you start feeling more zip soon.  It sounds like the weeks we had Covid.  We would eat our room service breakfast and an hour or so later take our morning nap.  Then eat our room service lunch and take an afternoon nap.  I don't know how we could sleep at night but we did.  Your lack of zip must mean your booster is working!!

Sorry I didn't post much yesterday.  I'll try to do better today.  Going now to read the Tuesday Daily.  See you all there!❤️

• Like 6