Carnival Has No Customer Service Anymore

Paul321

On March 14, 2022, we book a cruise to depart from Los Angeles on August 6, 2022. On May 19, 2022, we booked airline tickets through Carnival that were supposed to leave on August 6, 2022 Southwest Flight 4389 6:10 am arriving in Nashville at 6:45 am, Leaving Nashville at 7:40 am arriving in Los Angeles at 9:55 am. The reason we booked the cruise and flight like this is that I am disabled, waiting for a Heart Transplant and have to take certain medication at certain times. Also, the medication needs to be refrigerated. In addition, I have to board two dogs, which we were going to do on August 5, 2022. We paid in full for everything. Today, I get an itinerary from Carnival stating that they changed the flights to August 5, 2022, leaving RDU at 11:50 am arriving in Los Angeles at 6:20 pm. They NEVER called to ask if this was ok. I called them and they stated that they cannot do anything for us, including giving us a refund for everything we spent on this. I offered a solution and told them that since we have to come a day early, I would expect them to pay for a hotel overnight and pay for the extra day that the dogs will have to be boarded with is $80.00 x 2 = $160.00. They told me no. This is not my fault that they didn't honor our other flights and why should I be out money for their mistakes. We are good clients with them, but they are so hurt for cash, and they really don't care. Now I'm going to be out over $3,700.00 because of their mistakes and that is not fair.

• Like 1

Does the flight you originally booked even exist anymore? It is possible that Southwest cancelled it and Carnival had to book you the next best choice.

I hope you understand that Carnival doesn't control Southwest's schedules, all they can do is react to the schedule.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 9

Not to press the point too firmly, someone in your condition really should have travel insurance for stuff like this - there are too many things to go wrong.  What if the flights were delayed/canceled due to weather?  What if you have complications and can't cruise or fly?

Unfortunately we can't know what went sideways.  So you either have to accept and adjust to the changes, or cancel.  Have you looked to see if non-Carnival flights are available that match your original plans?

• Like 9

Southwest is famous for changing flights without much (or any) notice.  I really like SW, but that happens.  I doubt Carnival did anything other than contract out the flights to SW and that's where your problem lies.  I'd call them back, and, instead of demanding they do this or that, try to work with them on coming up with a reasonable solution (different airline?).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Paul321 said:

On March 14, 2022, we book a cruise to depart from Los Angeles on August 6, 2022. On May 19, 2022, we booked airline tickets through Carnival that were supposed to leave on August 6, 2022 Southwest Flight 4389 6:10 am arriving in Nashville at 6:45 am, Leaving Nashville at 7:40 am arriving in Los Angeles at 9:55 am. The reason we booked the cruise and flight like this is that I am disabled, waiting for a Heart Transplant and have to take certain medication at certain times. Also, the medication needs to be refrigerated. In addition, I have to board two dogs, which we were going to do on August 5, 2022. We paid in full for everything. Today, I get an itinerary from Carnival stating that they changed the flights to August 5, 2022, leaving RDU at 11:50 am arriving in Los Angeles at 6:20 pm. They NEVER called to ask if this was ok. I called them and they stated that they cannot do anything for us, including giving us a refund for everything we spent on this. I offered a solution and told them that since we have to come a day early, I would expect them to pay for a hotel overnight and pay for the extra day that the dogs will have to be boarded with is $80.00 x 2 = $160.00. They told me no. This is not my fault that they didn't honor our other flights and why should I be out money for their mistakes. We are good clients with them, but they are so hurt for cash, and they really don't care. Now I'm going to be out over $3,700.00 because of their mistakes and that is not fair.

Just wondering...what meds need to be refrigerated? I don't recall any HF rx needing to be refrigerated.

Sorry for getting screwed. Carnival customer service is terrible, as is Princess and HAL.

Edited by DrSea

I’m sorry for the anguish this is causing you, and I hope there is a solution. However, it appears to me that the your new flight schedule might be better than the original, if you can make it work.  Getting to Los Angeles at 9:55 AM the day of the cruise is risky.  I know they were booked through Carnival, and Carnival would do everything possible to get you to the port on time.  But if there were any flight delays the day of the cruise, you could be in danger of missing the cruise.  I truly hope it all works out for you!

• Like 2

It's not Carnival. It's the airlines. They're cancelling flights to save money. I've had mine changed 2 times in the past month. I'm expecting a couple more before September. You can't expect Carnival to supplement your dogs kennel service or pay for a hotel room when they had nothing to do with flight changes. 

• Like 4

Op sorry for the curve ball and I do hope you get to enjoy your vacation.

Travel is more of a crap shoot right now so I think it's important to take extra measures to protect ourselves and our money.

I understand you are upset but are you really willing to lose $3700 because you won't spend the additional $160 to save it? I understand why you think you shouldn't have to but honestly if that is the only hiccup on this trip that costs a little more money then make the most of it and start your vacation a day early.

Safe travels

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

You had no trip insurance? 

With all due respect, what were you planning to do if a heart became available while you were on the cruise? 

That's the most puzzling thing. Can the heart transplant folks reach someone in the middle of the ocean.

Interesting first post on CC.

• Like 5

OP, I do see that SWA has a one stop flight departing RDU at 5:35a, changing at MDW, and arriving at LGB at 12:55p. If all goes well, you can likely make the ship on time but I would absolutely check with Carnival about their boarding requirements that day.  When Southwest has to tweak their flight schedule (as all airlines are needing to do these days) they allow you to tweak their recommendation without penalty or fare increase. You'd need to take this up directly with Southwest but they'll be very accommodating. We all wish you well and good health.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Does the flight you originally booked even exist anymore? It is possible that Southwest cancelled it and Carnival had to book you the next best choice.

I hope you understand that Carnival doesn't control Southwest's schedules, all they can do is react to the schedule.

It doesn't exist anymore.  And I think Carnival/Southwest's decision was 100% reasonable and appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamaone said:

It's not Carnival. It's the airlines. They're cancelling flights to save money. I've had mine changed 2 times in the past month.

Totally agree - I fly frequently (not loyal to any particular airline)  and I'd estimate 50% of my flights end up with schedule changes.  Someone mentioned Southwest is bad about this, but Delta has been absolutely horrible for me more lately (I'm actually surprised when I have a Delta flight that goes as planned).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I can't imagine flying cross county the day of my cruise and not planning to get in the day before.

You are so right-I live in AZ and wouldn't even take the hour flight to get to L.A. from here. (Just imo).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

That's the most puzzling thing. Can the heart transplant folks reach someone in the middle of the ocean.

Interesting first post on CC.

Not to mention you have only a few hours to get to the hospital before they move on to somebody else.

• Like 3

"Carnival" did not change your flight. Southwest did. Carnival is communicating what Southwest did.

You aren't out $3700, but it looks like you might incur a couple hundred for a hotel and dog boarding. This is probably a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't fly across country, relying on two flights to be on time, on the day of your cruise. Everything is messed up now. 

• Like 6

I would be very nervous about relying on connecting flights to get me to my cruise on time. But I have flown in the morning of a cruise several times with no issue. It's all up to everyone's individual comfort level.

• Like 2

If you are waiting for a heart and depending on what level you are at in the system you will most likely be in the hospital.  If you are level 1 or 2 you definitely will be in the hospital and probably also at level 3. 

I received my heart three years ago and traveled up until nine months before I was admitted and then it was six weeks until I received the heart.  There were many waiting 2 to 3 months.  

Regardless traveling without insurance is a bad idea for someone in this situation. I personally would never book the cruise line insurance because the policy protects them as much or more than you.

The airlines are a total mess right now and if you are unable to handle delays or changes then it may not be the right time to travel.

Take care,

Mike

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

You aren't out $3700, but it looks like you might incur a couple hundred for a hotel and dog boarding.

Exactly.  If you choose to blow up your vacation and forfeit what you have already spent, that's on you.

• Like 2

Trust me when I say, you can't necessarily blame Carnival.  It likely is the airlines, they are in total chaos right now and it is all over the news how they are cancelling flights and leaving people stranded. 

We have cruised 3 time since March and 2 out of these 3 trips (from Michigan to Florida) were changed on us.  One was cancelled by Delta completely the morning we were debarking (within like 5 hours of our flight) and they rebooked us on a flight home the next day.  This did not work for us as we had to be back to work.

I called the airlines and told them to book me home out of Fort Lauderdale if Miami had nothing till the next day, which they did.  Explained I had to be home.  Flight wasn't as great (had layover instead of direct), but at least I got home.  It is happening all the time!

PS:  also one of the reasons we like cruising out of Miami more options in and out for airfare for pricing on the front end, and potential problems on the back end.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

I understand all the posts about airlines having to make changes and all and people having to be adaptable. But what if you can't be adaptable last minute. Carnival doesn't provide a refund or FCC? When you book to fly thru them is this stated? Hope it somehow works out for the OP.

• Like 2

From Carnival's site.  Spells out what changes can be made and when.  Unfortunately, Carnival isn't going to bite the bullet when an airline makes a change.  They are doing this as a selling feature for customers to make it easier to book cruises (and to sell cruises for sure).  

DETAILS

Sail smoothly through flight planning! With Carnival’s Fly2Fun Air + Cruise Packages you’ll find flights from all major airlines. Our prices are competitive and you can easily book them through Carnival. These flights depart from major airports across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, South America and Europe, so wherever you’re coming from, you’ll get you to your vacation relaxed and ready for some fun!

CHOOSE FROM TWO FLY2FUN OPTIONS:

FLEXIBLE FARES

MAKE IT THE EASIEST
  • Includes Fly2Fun Travel Protection.
  • Air payment isn’t required until your final cruise payment.
  • Book at least 4 days before your cruise begins (or, at most, 321 days).
  • You can change your flights without any penalties or service fees, prior to 60 days before cruise departure. (Depending on the flight you select, ticket costs may change.)
  • Flight changes within 60 days of sailing are subject to a $200 per-person service fee. Additional air costs may apply.
  • Name changes are not permitted.

RESTRICTED FARES

GET YOU THE BEST PRICE
  • Includes Fly2Fun Travel Protection.
  • Full payment is required at time of flight confirmation.
  • Book at least 4 days before your cruise begins (or, at most, 321 days).
  • All flight purchases and charges are non-refundable.
  • Changes to flight schedules are subject to carrier availability, fare restrictions and change fees.
  • Name changes are not permitted.
  • Air payment is required within 2 hours of flight confirmation. To avoid air cancelation go to Booking Details and View Balance Details to complete payment.
Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1