Just back from Uniworld River Queen Rhine and Mosselle and it was fabulous!

ninaks

I was thinking the large jars of sweets by the entrance to the lounge. Not the jars of chocolates in your cabin.  However it is good to know they still indulge those of us who need a sugar fix. 

Does  anybody remember when they used to have the marshmallow Smurfs among  other goodies in the big jars?  And the fantastic nougats from South Africa.   They stopped supplying those about 4 or 5 years ago. So disappointing. 

RB 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickylibrarian said:

Will be on this cruise Oct 27 and will do some train travel from Frankfurt before heading home.

Did any of you go from the boat to the main Frankfurt train station after the cruise?  Trying to 

figure out what we will use to get there.  BTW did Uniworld have their candy jars out for your 

cruise?  

They will arrange a taxi for you, v easy. Big question is whether you will need to carry your bags up/down many stairs. For sure, you will have to lift them into/out of the train to the platform. That’s why I only packed carryon roller board and personal items. 

We have had some of the most amazing cabin stewards and one always left ‘Heroes’ on the pillow each evening which became quite a talking point at breakfast - little things - this young lady also had the most superb singing voice, my husband used to call her his little Dionne!

20 hours ago, trickylibrarian said:

Will be on this cruise Oct 27 and will do some train travel from Frankfurt before heading home.

Did any of you go from the boat to the main Frankfurt train station after the cruise?  Trying to 

figure out what we will use to get there.  BTW did Uniworld have their candy jars out for your 

cruise?  

Yes, i flew into Frankfort and took the train from the airport to Strasbourg.  I flew into terminal 2 and then had to get to terminal 1, then quite a bit of a hike to get to train station but it was well marked.  There are buses and trams to go between terminals.  We took a cab from train station to our hotel and them cab from hotel to Ship

1 hour ago, ninaks said:

Yes, i flew into Frankfort and took the train from the airport to Strasbourg.  I flew into terminal 2 and then had to get to terminal 1, then quite a bit of a hike to get to train station but it was well marked.  There are buses and trams to go between terminals.  We took a cab from train station to our hotel and them cab from hotel to Ship

i forgot to add, they had candy jars in the room which they filled with fantastic chocolate and they still have the giant candy jars on the way to the lounge that were yummy as well.  Someone suggested on the cruise to empty your chocolate dish each day so you get it filled up and that way you have a lot of wonderful chocolates to bring home.  

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting details of this trip.  
I have just booked a Uniworld Rhine and Moselle cruise from Strasbourg to Frankfurt in October with a few days in Strasbourg before the cruise.  

Currently a little low water level in the German rivers so I follow the water level - there are several web pages - this one with an easy overview.

The itinerary:

9B53FADE-B267-4386-AA2D-329830424088.jpeg

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I have just booked a Uniworld Rhine and Moselle cruise from Strasbourg to Frankfurt in October with a few days in Strasbourg before the cruise.  

Thanks for posting. Unusual itinerary and very interesting excursions.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Thanks for posting details of this trip.  

Currently a little low water level in the German rivers so I follow the water level - there are several web pages - this one with an easy overview.

The itinerary:

9B53FADE-B267-4386-AA2D-329830424088.jpeg

I did this itinerary in the opposite direction mid July before the water levels started to affect cruising. It was absolutely fabulous, you’re gonna love it!

• Thanks 1

I would highly recommend the cooking class , which is an extra cost.  You do it after the vinegar tour and it was very fun.  It is a small group so you quickly make friends and the food you cook is amazing.  This is on the day you are in Speyer.  You will have time after the class to walk yourself around Speyer if you wish

We have been on several Uniworld river cruises - always in French Balcony staterooms.  Currently looking at a cruise on the River Queen.  Looking at the Uniworld website, it appears the French Balcony staterooms on the River Queen have dual floor to ceiling windows in the French Balcony rooms.  Can anyone tell me if either or both dual windows actually open?

Thanks

Worksheet,

welcome to the river cruise forums. I have cruised on the River Queen three times and each time in a 'deluxe ' cabin. These are the ones down one level from the top with the french balconies.   I don't think the windows open at all, but hopefully someone will confirm if they do or not.

She is our favourite  in the fleet, but any Uniworld ship is a pleasure to be on.

RB 

17 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Worksheet,

welcome to the river cruise forums. I have cruised on the River Queen three times and each time in a 'deluxe ' cabin. These are the ones down one level from the top with the french balconies.   I don't think the windows open at all, but hopefully someone will confirm if they do or not.

She is our favourite  in the fleet, but any Uniworld ship is a pleasure to be on.

RB 

Thank you @Ritabob,

I expect I will get an answer before we have to book, and agree anytime/stateroom on a Uniworld product is a pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they open but from top to bottom, not side to side.  There are buttons to push that open it and another button raise a screen to cover the window....... it is not like what you normally think of for French Balcony

• 1 month later...

One more question about the staterooms on the River Queen: It appears that both the Deluxe and French Balcony staterooms are the same size, with the main difference being the size of the windows (with a considerable jump in price for the French Balconies). Is that correct?

3 hours ago, trickylibrarian said:

Will be on this cruise Oct 27. Curious,  are boarding passengers given a covid

test after embarkation?  Thank you.

We were on this cruise in September.  No covid tests were ever conducted, nor were vaccination documents asked for.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, bubbulz said:

One more question about the staterooms on the River Queen: It appears that both the Deluxe and French Balcony staterooms are the same size, with the main difference being the size of the windows (with a considerable jump in price for the French Balconies). Is that correct?

That and the fact the French Balconies are on the upper, Rhine deck. We've sailed in the R.Q. twice in the Deluxe cabins. We saw no need to more up to the top deck. 

Paul

I think the biggest thing for me is that the windows in the FB cabins open and being able to look out the windows from the bed (don't laugh; we always enjoyed lying in bed resting after the tours and watching the river go by.) I'm not sure it's worth the price difference, though.