No More Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated guests on voyages less than 6 nights starting August 8th!

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am.  However, if you catch the virus between testing and embarkation, you are, potentially spreading it all over the ship.  So, Yes if the main purpose of the pre-cruise testing is to keep the virus off the ship, IT'S USLESS. 

Yes it does not keep it off the ship but there is no denying that it does keep some of it off.  There were at least 20 people just on our roll call that tested positive pre cruise and didn't get to sail 2 weeks ago, and that is from a small group of people posting

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

MommaBear, 

Trying to explain R naught and statistics is probably not going to be well received by those on these boards that believe testing is useless. 

Models and assumptions in data are long past their value in covid.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I only believe testing is useless for cruising because of the 2 (which could actually be almost 3) day testing requirement before cruising.  What if you catch the virus between testing and embarkation?  Useless, isn't it!

EDITED IN:  BTW, for many, that is the time frame that they are more in contact with the general public, flying, driving, restaurants, public restrooms, Hotels, lines in the terminal, etc.  AND, today's COVID isn't much more than the common cold/flu.  Yes some people are still getting very sick.  But, some people get very sick with the common cold and some even die with the flu. 

Correct...today's covid isn't much more than the common cold/flu. There are people who die each year from the regular flu, because they have unlying issues that complicate the flu.There are people who die each year from complications that begin with a cold, that turn into bronchitis, that progresses to pneumonia and that, with an underlying condition, can cause death.  So what: would those in favor of being vaccinated for covid would also be in favor of having to present evident that they were vaccinated for the yearly flu shot? Or the pneumonia?

Or TB? Or Typhus? Where would it end?...jus' sayin'

• Like 5

Starting Aug. 8, testing will be required for unvaccinated guests on all voyages and for vaccinated guests only on voyages that are six nights or longer. "

Taking this statement literally, does this mean that unvaccinated adults will be eligible to cruise??  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes it does not keep it off the ship but there is no denying that it does keep some of it off.  There were at least 20 people just on our roll call that tested positive pre cruise and didn't get to sail 2 weeks ago, and that is from a small group of people posting

And all it take is one to be negative until he/she gets on the ship and infect XXX others.  I'd be willing to bet that the many many people that are becoming sick/coming up positive while on the ship or shortly after getting off of it from those that came up negative pre embarkation.  

I've said my what I want to say, we can go around and around but I have no desire to do so.  Enough is enough.  I think the dead horse is dead!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 3

Just now, HicksRA said:

Starting Aug. 8, testing will be required for unvaccinated guests on all voyages and for vaccinated guests only on voyages that are six nights or longer. "

Taking this statement literally, does this mean that unvaccinated adults will be eligible to cruise??  

I've wondered about that, too.  And their statement says something about "maintaining a percentage of vaccinated guests."  Does that mean they are going to allow more unvaccinated on the ships?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

Go to the Royal website and read the whole thing.  I think (think) it said something about still having more vaccinated than nonvaccinated or something along those lines.  So I would take that to mean no major change there from what exceptions are being allowed now, or at least not opening it up to many unvaccinated yet.  But that is just my guess.

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

You need to look at that statement in conjunction with the rest of the paragraph.  It won't be wide open but it appears that they will start allowing some unvaccinated on board

Based on this change, we are continuing to adapt our protocols to align more closely with how the rest of society and other travel and leisure businesses are operating. This means that we're transitioning to the point where everyone will be able to vacation with us while always working with our destination partners to meet their regulations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

That depends...  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof

4 minutes ago, 2flacruisers said:

Correct...today's covid isn't much more than the common cold/flu. There are people who die each year from the regular flu, because they have unlying issues that complicate the flu.There are people who die each year from complications that begin with a cold, that turn into bronchitis, that -to pneumonia and that, with an underlying condition, can cause death.  So what: would those in favor of being vaccinated for covid would also be in favor of having to present evident that they were vaccinated for the yearly flu shot? Or the pneumonia?

Or TB? Or Typhus? Where would it end?...jus' sayin'

I believe we are discussing pre-cruise testing.  All you have mentioned if discussed/debated will be removed from this site.  So, I'll stick to pre-cruise testing.   

51 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I was born and raised in Canada.  But, as long as they continue to do what they do, I'll not be back as a tourist, any time soon.  On my last cruise, we made a port of call in Victoria, I didn't get off the ship even though I had to do the ArriveCan thing just to cruise to Alaska.  Other than my brother, ALL my relatives live in or around the Toronto area and they hate what is going on.  They refuse to travel because of so much uncertainty.  

Yeah, I'd prefer not to go to Canada, but my wife and I are tired of Caribbean cruises, so we thought we'd try a New England cruise to enjoy the fall foliage.  It just happens to go to Canada (St. Johns, NB and Sydney, NS).  We probably won't get off in Sydney, but I did book a tour in St. John's.  I'd prefer not to jump through the hoops of COVID Theater, but we need a cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Yeah, I'd prefer not to go to Canada, but my wife and I are tired of Caribbean cruises, so we thought we'd try a New England cruise to enjoy the fall foliage.  It just happens to go to Canada (St. Johns, NB and Sydney, NS).  We probably won't get off in Sydney, but I did book a tour in St. John's.  I'd prefer not to jump through the hoops of COVID Theater, but we need a cruise!

I hear ya.  We must (want) do what we must (want) do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I believe we are discussing pre-cruise testing.  All you have mentioned if discussed/debated will be removed from this site.  So, I'll stick to pre-cruise testing.   

Yep - didn't take long for the thread to get off track, did it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I wonder when they will address their cruises that do not depart from the US. Last I’d seen, they never officially announced Europe protocols after 7/31. 

Since majority of European cruises are 7+ days (with the exception on a few on Vision and Rhapsody in Sept/Oct) this announcement has absolutely no impact on us in Europe - same old, same old.

I am on a B-2-B in Oct/Nov - does anyone know how much it is to test on board for B-2-Bs?

Edited by Blue Eyed Belfast Belle

Could the less than 6 night cruises be no testing (for fully vaccinated guest) because the majority of those sailings go to The Bahamas or Mexico? I believe neither countries require a negative test while other countries still require the tests?

I believe there were a couple of posters who were adamant that dropping vaccine requirements would happen before dropping testing.  Hmm.  I think this just reinforces what most of us think. Now, we're just hoping they do away with testing for longer cruises by our Nov 6 b2b.

We just this morning got off of a 6 night EN cruise to Bermuda.  One person in the family group we know (our friends were cruising for their 50th and we tagged along) was sick before the trip and tested positive 4 days before and inconclusive two days before and then neg on a PCR taken the day before but results didn't come in until after we sailed.  I didn't  hear about anyone else.  

5 minutes ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Since majority of European cruises are 7+ days (with the exception on a few on Vision and Rhapsody in Sept/Oct) this announcement has absolutely no impact on us in Europe - same old, same old.

I am on a B-2-B in Oct/Nov - does anyone know how much it is to test on board for B-2-Bs?

They no longer test for b2b's onboard.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blauelini said:

A cruiseline that primarily does 7 night cruises caps no testing at 6 day cruises. Another brilliant move by that clown factory in Miami.

Actually the majority of the group's cruises are indeed less than 6 days.
"With the majority of cruises for Royal Caribbean International shorter than six days, the new requirement will significantly impact the pre-cruise preparation for guests."

• Like 1