Tell me what you love about the Royal class

bluebelt

My husband and I have not cruised since Covid and have mainly cruised RCCL and NCL (10 cruises total).  It has probably been close to 15 years since I last cruised Princess.  What I loved at that time was MUTS and the pizza poolside grill.  We are looking at the Mexican Riviera on the Discovery.  What do you love about Princess and the Royal class in general?  If anyone has some recent sample Patters for that class of ship (I know things change and are different by ship) that would be great!  We are trying to decide between a cruise and an all-inclusive.

• Like 1

The one thing that we like about the Royal Class ships is the expanded Horizon Buffet with more international food choices.  Other than that we really don’t care for the Royal Class ships due to the lack of a full promenade deck.  We booked an April Mediterranean cruise on the Enchanted due to the excellent itinerary, but after that we’ll probably stick to ships (including other cruise lines ) that have full promenade decks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mevs904 said:

The one thing that we like about the Royal Class ships is the expanded Horizon Buffet with more international food choices.  Other than that we really don’t care for the Royal Class ships due to the lack of a full promenade deck.  We booked an April Mediterranean cruise on the Enchanted due to the excellent itinerary, but after that we’ll probably stick to ships (including other cruise lines ) that have full promenade decks.

Agree basically, buffet best feature of Royal class.  We always book a mini suite, balcony on Royal class very narrow so also a big disappointment.  For us, no choice as at 90/75 years we are limited to what ship is home ported in San Francisco, our home port.  Don't want to fly anymore to board a ship.  Ruby was in SF for a while, Grand prior to the Ruby, love both of these ships over Royal class.    Happy to have a Princess ship in SF, so we are booked on the Royal Princess for 15 days in December over Christmas and New Year's.  In December we probably will not miss the promenade deck and a bigger balcony. 

We have done about 12 Mediterranean cruises over the years.  Mediterranean cruises are so port intensive you will not spend much time on the ship.  Have a great cruise.                                                                                                                     

6 hours ago, pris993 said:

Agree basically, buffet best feature of Royal class. 

This is one of the best improvements of the Royal class ships.

4 hours ago, Alcairns said:

Concierge lounge for full suite guests. Great quiet getaway and happy hour between 5 and 7. Snacks and speciality coffee served throughout the day. 

Their Platinum and Elite lounge has become disappointing since the return from Covid shutdown. Nothing that couldn't be ordered in the DR. With the drink package many people just bypass the the function completely. 

It's just bigger honestly. I liked the shows. Can't honestly say I saw much that made me say wow.  Nice ship and all.  But not much that sets it off or makes it unique or really different.  I did like the medallion thing but I think all the ships have it now right.

We like the Royal class ships for the larger, roomier Piazza, Princess Live, the MUCH improved buffet, & the option to book a deluxe balcony that has a love seat, rather than having to sit/lay on the bed if you want to watch TV. The smaller balcony & lack of a promenade deck don’t bother us that much.

• Like 3

I like the Retreat Pool on Royal and Regal, most of the other ships now have staterooms on either side greatly reducing the space around the pool.

I like the expanded Piazza area and Alfredo's and Bellini's.  I don't like the removal of Crooners on most of the recent Royal class ships. 

8 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

I don't like the removal of Crooners on most of the recent Royal class ships. 

Fortunately Crooner's is back on both the Enchanted and Discovery Princesses. 😃🍸

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pris993 said:

Ruby was in SF for a while, Grand prior to the Ruby, love both of these ships over Royal class.                                                                          

The Ruby will still be home ported in the City.  The Royal is going to be in either Seattle or Vancouver for the Alaska season next year.

I like the space on board.  Worldfresh Marketplace has been a great improvement over the Grand/Crown class type crowded ones.  Alfredo's was another good add.  I don't like the Sanctuary design on this class, but there is a deck area we prefer where we can get max shade and be away from the noise of open Lido.  I like the aft seating area for dining outdoors.  Lots of room in the morning.  We don't generally book balconies and the standard ones are too small to pay anything much for IMO.  Like the jut-out balconies which are much more spacious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This is one of the best improvements of the Royal class ships.

Their Platinum and Elite lounge has become disappointing since the return from Covid shutdown. Nothing that couldn't be ordered in the DR. With the drink package many people just bypass the the function completely. 

I was referring to happy hour in the concierge suite not the elite and platinum daily function. Never go to these as we seem to get ignored by the waiters. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

I was referring to happy hour in the concierge suite not the elite and platinum daily function. Never go to these as we seem to get ignored by the waiters. 

🤣 thread thieves, go figure. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

Not being a “big ship” guy, I didn’t think I would like, but hey, they  have really grown on me.  
PROS

1) Mini-suites are great.   Better than grand class.  Especially like the curtain       divider which can make it like 2 rooms

2). The variety of food in the buffet is amazing.  And in theses Covid conscious times, get your food and go outside if you want.  I am a celiac and must avoid gluten     Surprisingly, no problem in the buffet.  Find a white hat and they happily walk you around telling you what is safe.

3). The very back of the ship.   Out behind the buffet is a small area when you can eat, enjoy coffee or just hang out.  It’s sheltered from the wind.  Go up the stairs and there is a similar area with very comfortable chairs and sofas.   It’s the smoking area, and even though I am not a smoker, it’s an enjoyable ares.  Go up the stairs their one more deck and it’s the dedicated walking/running track.

CONS

1). No real Wheelhouse.   The area designated as the “wheelhouse “ is basically nothing more than a waiting area for the crown grill.  

9 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The Ruby will still be home ported in the City.  The Royal is going to be in either Seattle or Vancouver for the Alaska season next year.

Some one else told me that, have not seen anything in writing, would much prefer the Ruby in SF.